Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Car stalls when tank is mid to full ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 04:03 PM
ewu64 is on a distinguished road
My 2007 AMV8 had the stalling problem. I seek the help of Stuart from RSC Tuning, and he suggested taking a visit to his friend "Max" who owns and operates his own shop specializing in all types of German, English, and Italian exotic cars.

So, Max first replaced the “purge hose” that Amfixer mentions in this thread. It wasn’t gummy or torn but, he replaced it anyway with an internally braided, aviation quality, rubber hose that he special ordered. As Amfixer said, a pin size hole in this hose can suck in gas and produce the stalling. However, after driving the car with the new hose in, it stalled again.
One thing that I have always noticed is that the stalling mainly happened when the tank is half to full. The stalling seemed to disappear once the fuel tank was below half. So, I took the car back to Max and he suggested to change the “Roll Over Valves (ROVs)”, which are two: left and right inside the fuel tank, and change all related hoses going to these valves, just in case. And it’s been more than a month after these repairs, and no stalling whatsoever. I tested the car with the fuel tank full, half, almost empty; taking hard left/right turns, coasting to a stop in gear/out of gear, hard brakings, incline, declines, etc. It seems that the problem has been solved. I have put almost 900 miles since the repairs and no stalling; and my car used to stall pretty frequently. I have read somewhere, that Aston replaces the fuel tank to solve the problem, and from their labor/hour stand point, it makes sense. However, Max charged me, parts and labor, extremely cheap; specially, considering what he had to do.
This is not a DIY thing. The opening of the fuel tank thru the trunk is pretty small, and you have to work with mirrors inside the empty fuel tank to see what you are doing, as the valves are on top and to the sides of the fuel tank.

I hope this helps everybody that is suffering from the stalling in their AM cars.

It is pretty funny that Aston does not recognize this as an endemic problem in their cars. However, the solution they propose is to replace the entire fuel tank. But at the same time, they sell you all the parts that come inside of it… and they are pretty inexpensive parts!!!

Just in case, if any of you live in the Miami area, and want to contact Max Azael, his email is: azaelmotorsport@gmail.com

Old 12-19-2014, 04:28 PM
Rnstern is an unknown quantity at this point
Same issue

I had the same problem with my db9 manual. AM stone walled. No computer codes no problem. Car was a death trap. Selling dealer took it back

Old 03-01-2021, 12:51 AM
Harrison Grover is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by AMFixer
That sucks.....if your dealer quotes you right I would guess anywhere from 10-15 hours for this. The part is only like $30 bucks, and the added cost for fluids. The repair manual on a coupe requires you to remove the fuel tank to access it. Which requires the tranmission to come out, and the rear subframe, hence so much labor.

Can it be done on a DB9 Coupe without removing the tank? I know what the service manual says but maybe there is a painful workaround?

I saw you mentioned you posted a write up on the fix but took it down, any chance you could PM it, it would be a life saver? I'm qualified enough to not explode myself usually