Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Racing stripe???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
A better view of the "gulf" stripe. Seems to blend well with the vents/hood lines.

Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Great finds Gekko! Thanks for posting.

I like this one. Gives me a good idea of what black/gray would look like.

This one looks similar to one of the stripes I came up with in my sketches to encapsulate the center two hood vents. Not bad, although I wouldn't do the entire back end of the car.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:37 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ I think the lipstick works better on the DB9 because the grille is more subtle, streamlined and narrower so the lipstick graphic actually accentuates and brings that feature out more...like lipstick on a woman accentuates her lips and makes them look fuller and brighter drawing the eyes a bit more.

The vantage already has a huge and very pronounced front grille, it doesn't really benfit from accentuation, rather it may look like overkill...

Old 03-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
This reminds me of that commercial...when you wear an eyepatch people want to see how tough you are. When people want to see how tough you are, you end up in a ditch. Don't end up in a ditch.

If anything, I'd vote for a black racing style stripe without the lipstick, done as a wrap so that you can take it off if you don't like it. But understand it will probably bring some negative attention. For example, if I was out in the GTR and I saw a V12V with a racing stripe, I'd be more likely to mess with it than if it didn't have one. Not because I'd think the driver was a tool, but rather that he was saying he was driving a race car. And he's wearing an eyepatch.

On the other hand, I saw a Smart car with dual racing stripes the other day and didn't feel the urge to see how tough he was.

Last edited by Tahoe M3; 03-30-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Haha, I'll avoid the eye patch, and ending up in a ditch if I can. I guess this is sort of an experiment. It'll be interesting to see if people suddenly try to race me. They certainly don't now. Whatever I do, it'll be easily reversible so if I have negative experiences with other drivers or the police, I can just revert back to the original look.

So far, I've decided that I definitely won't do the lipstick, and I'm going to stick with the black/white/gray palette. Hopefully it will end up looking sporty without being overly shouty, and will be a bit of a nod to the racing heritage.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Airborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Great finds Gekko! Thanks for posting.

I also like this stripe..but not having it loop around down the back and sides up the front.. just the strip down the middle would be cool. I change the stripes on my RSR clone semi annually.. have fun with it man- it's easy to remove with a heat gun/blow dryer.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Airborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to behold
another thing that would look cool with that stripe ^^ is the same stripe but have the center deleted ... to appear like two stripes joining at the hood ornament

Old 12-04-2012, 04:22 PM
gekko will become famous soon enoughgekko will become famous soon enough
Figured this would a good addition to the thread.

Gulf Livery Aston Martin V12 Vantage
(I think it looks great)

Old 12-04-2012, 05:22 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ Gekko that's awesome bro. Like the car, vid and style were cool too. I wish I could see some livery illustrations for DB9.

What's the song on that vid?

Old 12-04-2012, 05:36 PM
gekko will become famous soon enoughgekko will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by sunir
^^^ Gekko that's awesome bro. Like the car, vid and style were cool too. I wish I could see some livery illustrations for DB9.

What's the song on that vid?
Just to be clear - It's not my video.

It's a great video I stumbled across today . . . But - I got annoyed when I found it - Why?

I'm being working on my own video and this one shares some similar elements (especially the jump cuts and some of the angles) Then the kicker - they used the exact same song I paired my footage to . . . (that's how I found it today, was looking to see if there was a remix version of the song)

Song is:

Old 12-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Cool vid. The wrap looks really good, but it's not what you'd call subtle! Not sure if I'd want my car to look like that for any extended period, but it would be great for a car event.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:58 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Some good looking cars in this thread...

Old 12-04-2012, 09:03 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
^^Jasper-just buy one already!!!!

Old 12-04-2012, 09:18 PM
blackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Racer_X
For the past several years I've owned a silver Vantage, first a V8V and now a V12V. I'm craving something with a little more flair for the summer driving season. I briefly considered doing the gulf livery you can see in my avatar, but I decided that it's a bit much and that I'd probably tire of the colors and/or the attention they attract. So, I was wondering whether a single racing stripe might be a good alternative.

I got the idea from a Balboni Gallardo that I did a mountain run with over this past weekend. One option would be to do a similar stripe in white a bit off center, say to the driver's side of the car. Another option would be a broadening center stripe with the typical AM "lipstick" around the grill. Either way, it's less drastic (and cheaper) than a full wrap and should be easily reversible.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy? Will I look like a D.B. driving around with a stripe on my car? Feel free to blast the idea if you think it's stupid!

Sadly....YES YOU WILL !!!!

Old 12-04-2012, 09:55 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
If you're using 3M vinyl or similar for the graphics, be aware that after a period of time on the car, the paint underneath becomes damaged and if you remove the stripes/tape you will have to repaint the area.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Racing stripe???