Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Racing stripe???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Originally Posted by gekko
Just to be clear - It's not my video.

It's a great video I stumbled across today . . . But - I got annoyed when I found it - Why?

I'm being working on my own video and this one shares some similar elements (especially the jump cuts and some of the angles) Then the kicker - they used the exact same song I paired my footage to . . . (that's how I found it today, was looking to see if there was a remix version of the song)
Plenty of room for improvement on that one I think Inder. You've got a great eye, do it right, get the sync tight on the edits, avoid lame shots of tree branches ... no one will remember the other one

Old 12-04-2012, 10:59 PM
gekko will become famous soon enoughgekko will become famous soon enough
Thanks Anthony - Car is stored for the winter and looks like I still need more footage, so it's going to have to wait til next year.

Here are some images I found of that Gulf wrap.
(Sorry X_Racer - Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just thought I'd keep it all in the same thread)

Photographers Facebook Page:
facebook.com/KVK.Photography

Attached Images      
Old 12-05-2012, 07:14 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KI Studios
This is completely false. In fact, it protects the paint underneath. 3M is one of, if not the best manufacturers. Any damage would most likely be from improper removal.

To get the longest life out of your graphics, keep it clean, and even waxed. Detail spray is also great. (same goes for the paint)
Sorry, I disagree. You leave film on a painted surface for any length of time you will have to repaint the panels when you remove it. I've had enough commercial trucks in my business that I know firsthand the effects of vinyl film on a panel when you remove it after its been on there several years. Now, you can say the surrounding areas may have deteriorated due to weathering and ozone or the like and that may be the case, but you will still be repainting the panel. Put a stripe on a car and leave it on for three or four years then pull it off - you'll not just going to buff the area and have it look like new again.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Hi Kyle, this is an issue that I've been concerned with. I have a stripe (see avatar) that's been in place for about 6 months. I really like it so I'm not in a hurry to remove it. At the same time, however, I don't want to damage the paint.

How long do you think I can safely leave the stripe on without harming the paint? The car was thoroughly washed/waxed before the stripe went on and I only drive the car about once a week, and mainly park in garages or in the shade. Thanks!

Old 12-05-2012, 01:20 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I am terrified of ghosts...errr I mean ghosting !! maybe a full wrap works better for that phobia??

Old 12-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
If your car is garaged, washed and waxed regularly, you will likely never have a problem.
Okay, thanks. I'll likely remove my stripe some time within the next few months but just wanted to be sure I didn't need to act sooner.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:02 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Commercial trucks use bulk "budget friendly" paint that quickly oxidizes and deteriorates in the sun. Plus these trucks are outside all the time and rarely if ever washed and waxed. If you had a full wrap, the paint would be preserved underneath. If you have spot graphics, you can end up with "ghosting" if your paint is deteriorating over the years and you remove the vinyl with the preserved paint underneath. You can avoid this by washing and waxing the trucks and not letting your paint turn to dust in the first place.

In the 12 years I have been doing vehicle graphics, I have seen this countless times on old commercial trucks, once on a Mitsubishi that had a partially covered clear bra hood, and twice on Mustangs with factory hood stripes. On all of these, the clear coat on the paint was already damaged from years of neglect. I have never seen ghosting on a car that anyone cares about. Reason being, they wash it. The biggest problem we see here in southern California is the fallout in the air damaging the horizontal surfaces of the paint. A mix of the pollution in the air settling on your hood, the sun, the morning new, it slowly eats away at your paint. A car wash and a mist and wipe with a detail spray makes a huge difference.
I agree if you cover the whole vehicle with a wrap, you are not going to see any ghosting or shadowing. However, if you cover a segment you most likely will - that has been my experience. I have done several commercial trucks over 30 years in 3M vinyl, and we don't let the paint turn to dust on them, in fact they are kept in the shade and waxed, even the boxes.

However, even better than that is my brand new 1995 BMW M3 that I had a 3-color stripe put on in Feb. 1996 using the ///M Colors. Here's a shot of it at an autocross. That graphic started on the fender and wrapped all the way to the middle of the front spoiler. In October 1996 I hit a deer and the entire front end was damaged on the car. That was seven months later and this car was always garaged, always pampered and Zymol'ed (that was the best there was in 1996). When it went to the body shop, I told them to re-apply the stripe afterwards and they said 'You better come look at the paint damage from the old one to be be sure you want to do that on this new finish'. And they showed me the ghosting on the old hood and fender. It was significant and highly noticeable after 7 months. I didn't want to take the chance on that with the new paint and did not re-apply.

I'm not trying to rain on your business, but I am 100 % convinced that anyone that applies a vinyl graphic to a vehicle will not be able to remove it after some time without having to re-paint the entire panel where it was located. If you are likewise convinced that it won't, you can always offer a warranty guarantee it won't happen to your jobs...but that might get expensive.

My comment was a warning to those that do this sort of application of what might happen and they they can judge for themselves if they want to do it, or not. That's what internet forums are for - to share information and we will just have to disagree on the fallout from it. Personally I would never do an applied vinyl to an Aston Martin paint job, but that's just me, do what works for you!

Last edited by drcollie; 12-05-2012 at 02:15 PM.