Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

How do you renew the coolant?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:24 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
How do you renew the coolant?

The Vantage workshop manual only has you remove the radiator drain plug but doing so will only drain about 1 gallon. Total capacity should be almost 4 gallons. Is the workshop manual missing something?

Old 06-14-2012, 03:24 PM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
You need a coolant vacuum bleeder to purge the system. When I changed the thermostat on my V8V, I wanted to change out the coolant fluid but with out the vacuum bleeder I wasn't able to do it. Irish didn't recommend you change the fluid without the proper tools.

Last edited by WG_moots; 06-14-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:27 PM
rotary rocket has a spectacular aura aboutrotary rocket has a spectacular aura about
Well...I guess I have a potential problem then.

I read the workshop manual and thought this will be simple! Drained the radiator and as Karl-Franz stated got out about 1.3 gallons. I didn't realize ONLY 1.3 gallons came out.

Thinking the system takes 15.8 quarts I poured in the bottle of Jag coolant which is 5 liters (5.28 quarts). Then I started to pour in distilled water but in less than a quart if was full.

Of course I am on 6 speed and do a quick search and come up on this post. I guess this was not a DIY job.

So what should I do now?
Will it hurt my engine that I have extra ratio of coolant (approximately 66% coolant and 33% distilled water)?
Should I drain it again and put in a highly diluted mixture (20% coolant/80% water) to balance it out?
Take it to the dealer and have them do it?

Your help is appreciated.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:55 PM
rotary rocket has a spectacular aura aboutrotary rocket has a spectacular aura about
Patience is not my strong point...hehe...

I decided to do a "triple" flush. Although not as good as what an AM dealer can do, it is the best that I can do at home.

I flushed out a second time and sure enough about 6 liters only came out. This time I reversed my initial procedure. 5 liters of distilled water and only 1 liter of coolant. Ran the car until hot, had the heater on, etc.

Just letting her cool down to drain her again. For the last fill I am putting in a 50/50 mixture. On paper the mixture should be 50/50 and most of the coolant has been replaced.

I can't wait to drive her.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:57 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Nothing will be harmed with a 66%/33% mixture. Anywhere between 60% water/40% antifreeze and 70% antifreeze/ 30% water is OK. Outside that range you start to lose protection for freezing temperatures and boiling temperatures.