Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DBS Power Packges

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 08:17 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rmrmd1956
Done in Moscow:
Twin Rotrex C30s on the stock V12 DBS at .55 bar, Tilton race clutch, UniChip Engine Management System dual chipset. About $25K
That is impressive. A little far from home for me, though. Lol. It certainly would be great if there was a twin-screw FI solution for the DBS. Fabulous car, with or without more HP, imo.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:14 AM
ahmadxbr is on a distinguished road
Can anyone confirm this engine was made into a 6 ltr from the beginning? I think there is a good potential for boring and stroking the motor.

Originally Posted by rmrmd1956
Done in Moscow:
Twin Rotrex C30s on the stock V12 DBS at .55 bar, Tilton race clutch, UniChip Engine Management System dual chipset. About $25K
Yes I know it has been done it has also been done here in UAE I saw the car for about half an hour at one of the tuning shops but it was also a twin centrifugal supercharger car. What I'm talking about is twin screw blower like on AMGs. It provides boost instantly and allows for a more linear torque curve and a good mid-high power curve. It is less "peaky" than the turbo style SCs. Twin turbo is very complex and will need too much work. A top mount blower is actually quite simple.

Originally Posted by franki68
to be honest with the OP ,if 510bhp isn't enough for you why are you looking at the car ? buy something else,if the power is not sufficient then the aston is not for you.
If you want sheer speed buy a ferrari, or GTR ,Astons are not the car to get if you want to win bragging rights,however if you enjoy driving then these may be the last cars that actually let you drive as opposed to being nanny minded by numerous electronic systems.
This car is very beautiful but it is also a GT/supercar so yes it needs alot more power. 510hp is extremely low for a car like this because this is engine HP so you can see how wheel horsepower will be just over 400. I have seen R34 GT-Rs make more than this with IC upgrade and tune on their stock turbos and 2.6 ltr I6. In fact any car out there could make more than that and for a supercar this is embarrassing. Aston Martin have beautiful designs and a good prestige name but I think they need new engineers For example their top speed of the new Vanquish is less than 190mph which an E39 M5 can do stock. This car is very expensive for what is has, if it wasn't for the beauty it would not even be on the market, it should have ~700hp at least.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:03 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
As others have said
Owning an Aston is an experience far greater than the stats or performance

Old 07-03-2012, 06:43 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ahmadxbr
There has been FI'd DBSs but like I said with twin centrifugal superchargers which are like turbos running on the engine instead of exhaust. They don't produce full boost instantly like the blowers which are the twin screw type. To be honest this engine is a dinosaur and NA 750hp is impossible and will not be reliable. I think a good twin screw would be simpler than a twin turbo setup and also lighter and more usable. It also dooesn't ruin the sound of the engine like a TT setup which muffles the exhaust. The engine of course will have to be built up with forged internals and what not and the heads will need work as well the headers, fuel and intake. How much do you guys think the V12 can be bored and stroked to assuming it will be sleeved in the process. The One-77 is a new engine, it wasn't a bored and stroked 6 ltr from the DBS. Do you guys think 7.3 ltr is possible?
Really?? Could of fooled me..actually, not really..If you've ever looked One-77 engine(not just a top view). You will see all the same locations of the frost plugs/filter housing/exterior webs..the top end is all redesigned to adapt with the VVT, but this engine is still a 6.0L V12 offspring..sorry let me correct that, a Jaguar V12 5.3L offspring, which Jag up'd to 6.0L in '92, and Aston look it in 2001 for the Vanquish and DB7 V12

The One-77 and new Vanquish still use the same 6.0L engine, sure it's 75% new parts that aren't carried over..but what do you think that 25% is..bolts and nuts?? ..it's the same block, with all the internals and top end changed..aka same design with the addition to VVT.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:49 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Can anyone confirm this engine was made into a 6 ltr from the beginning? I think there is a good potential for boring and stroking the motor.

A top mount blower is actually quite simple.
Sure on some engines it just may be easy, but on the Aston V12..I don't see that as the case. The stat housing will get in your way of any belt drive to the top of the engine. You could go in front of the housing but then the chassis cross brace gets in your way, remove that and well..whats the point. Your hood is also then useless, and with the s/c snout needing to go so far forward, just detroys the whole Aston image..None the less, a top mount blower would be awesome to see, just the car would start to look like a Fast and Furious ride with the hood closed

Old 07-03-2012, 07:33 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by irish07
Really?? Could of fooled me..actually, not really..If you've ever looked One-77 engine(not just a top view). You will see all the same locations of the frost plugs/filter housing/exterior webs..the top end is all redesigned to adapt with the VVT, but this engine is still a 6.0L V12 offspring..sorry let me correct that, a Jaguar V12 5.3L offspring, which Jag up'd to 6.0L in '92, and Aston look it in 2001 for the Vanquish and DB7 V12

The One-77 and new Vanquish still use the same 6.0L engine, sure it's 75% new parts that aren't carried over..but what do you think that 25% is..bolts and nuts?? ..it's the same block, with all the internals and top end changed..aka same design with the addition to VVT.
There is zero relationship between the SOHC Jaguar V12 and the AM DOHC V12...ZERO. It is well known that the AM V12 was initially developed from 2 Ford Duratec DOHC V6s with Cosworth's help. These are two entirely different engines...one is truly ancient while the other is modern.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:40 AM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
I wonder if the upgardes to the new Vanquish will ever be available for earlier V12s?

Old 07-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
There is zero relationship between the SOHC Jaguar V12 and the AM DOHC V12...ZERO. It is well known that the AM V12 was initially developed from 2 Ford Duratec DOHC V6s with Cosworth's help. These are two entirely different engines...one is truly ancient while the other is modern.
The heads were made by Cosworth 100%. As for the block, this I was even informed on during a course that is was based on the Jag V12 engine block with regards to what most have said, now the source was pretty reliable but nothing in concrete nor in writing, I know the DURATEC welded together has been stated before by many, and even written on many documents ..Not something I'm trying to prove, just something I was told..but heck take a look at the 2 engines and tell me it doesn't look like a AM '02 V12, even the intake and throttle idea is the same..

Old 07-03-2012, 11:05 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
There's not a single part from a Jag V12 that fits the AM V12. The AM engine is a clean sheet design based on the Duratec, not the 45 year old Jag unit.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:20 AM
MichaelD will become famous soon enough
For the One-77, Cosworth took the V12, kept it NA, increased the bore and stroke, and lifted the power to 750bhp and dropped the weight by 24Kg. It does look like a lot of work went into the modification, but the One-77 paid for all the research, and Aston now has a defined upgrade path that will see this engine go over 700bhp without going for crazy manufacturing costs.

There is a fascinating and pretty detailed article here:
http://www.enginetechnologyinternati...ton_Martin.pdf

Old 07-04-2012, 02:59 AM
franki68 is on a distinguished road

Yes I know it has been done it has also been done here in UAE I saw the car for about half an hour at one of the tuning shops but it was also a twin centrifugal supercharger car. What I'm talking about is twin screw blower like on AMGs. It provides boost instantly and allows for a more linear torque curve and a good mid-high power curve. It is less "peaky" than the turbo style SCs. Twin turbo is very complex and will need too much work. A top mount blower is actually quite simple.

This car is very beautiful but it is also a GT/supercar so yes it needs alot more power. 510hp is extremely low for a car like this because this is engine HP so you can see how wheel horsepower will be just over 400. I have seen R34 GT-Rs make more than this with IC upgrade and tune on their stock turbos and 2.6 ltr I6. In fact any car out there could make more than that and for a supercar this is embarrassing. Aston Martin have beautiful designs and a good prestige name but I think they need new engineers For example their top speed of the new Vanquish is less than 190mph which an E39 M5 can do stock. This car is very expensive for what is has, if it wasn't for the beauty it would not even be on the market, it should have ~700hp at least.

I understand the argument about the power it produces for its price,but that is exactly the point of astons,I have a dbs ,it is more than powerful enough for my needs,it can spin its rears in 3rd gear on a dry day ,I dont see having a car with more power anything other than a fustrating experience as how often can you actually use that power ? Prior to that I had a 997 turbo and gallardo,the DBS feels as fast as either of those ,.
If you want to indulge in traffic light races then the aston is not for you,but in most road tests ,testers preferred the aston to the ferrari 599 which is much quicker ...speed is not everything in a car.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:11 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
^^^ What he says.

Where do you intend to use all this surplus power, anyway?

On the road? Please...

On the track? Pointless. Heavy and powerful = bad track car. Get a Radical.

At the dragstrip? Ah, yes! Drag racing, clearly part of Aston's design brief for all their cars.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:21 AM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by spinecho
^^^ What he says.

Where do you intend to use all this surplus power, anyway?

On the road? Please...

On the track? Pointless. Heavy and powerful = bad track car. Get a Radical.

At the dragstrip? Ah, yes! Drag racing, clearly part of Aston's design brief for all their cars.
Priceless Analysis

Old 07-04-2012, 08:56 AM
franki68 is on a distinguished road
the la times summed it up perfectly..

'
The factory's quoted figure for 0 to 100 kilometers per hour (0 to 62 mph) is 4.3 seconds -- not all that impressive. Ferraris, Lamborginis and even Corvettes are well down in the mid-3-second range. So, although it is still blazingly fast, the Aston simply doesn't have the pace of a true exotic. And you know, I could not care less.
Aston Martin could have hammered on the V12 for more low-end torque and more top-end horsepower. But it didn't. What it did was, at every turn, surrender some small and meaningless fraction of numerical performance -- lateral grip, top speed, braking distance -- for a holistic refinement and day-to-day drivability in every direction.
The suspension is quite taut and cinched down, but it's not so flat and hard and unyielding that you wouldn't want to drive to Canada and back.
Likewise, the steering is light and micrometer precise, but there is enough softness on center that you can sneeze and not wind up in Fontana. The new carbon-ceramic brakes will stop a freight train, but the initial tip-in is measured, silky and progressive.
This is not an exotic sports car so much as a hyper-focused grand touring car, immensely powerful but also mature. And it shows in the thousand grace notes around the cabin: the appealing chronometer-style gauges; the oversized Hermes-style stitching; the unidirectional carbon weave pattern on the doors; the beautiful, blue-lighted switch gear against the piano black console fascia.'

Old 07-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Amen, brother. It doesn't matter a hill of beans if the DBS had more power. And to those to whom it matters, they will never understand Astons and should look elsewhere for their jollies.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DBS Power Packges