Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Service Advice on My V8V

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:55 AM
CTP855 is on a distinguished road
Service Advice on My V8V

I purchased my 07 V8V a little over one year ago from an Aston dealership, with an Aston Martin extended warranty. The car had 16K on the clock when I took delivery. During the first year I put about 5xxx miles on it, and didn't have any mechanical issues. The engine used about a quart and a half of motor oil (Castrol 10-60), which I understand is normal, and I topped off the anti-freeze with about one quart of anti-freeze (Havoline 50/50 mix), during the first year.

One month ago, I went to a friends auto repair shop, and changed the oil myself. I used an Aston Martin oil filter/gasket, and refilled it with 10.5 quarts of Castrol 10-60, and also changed the wiper blades. That's the service history since I've owned the car. The prior owner had the oil changed twice, a new battery installed, and a number of emission recall service done.

I've always had good success with other cars by keeping all the fluids changed regularly. Since I'm probably going to keep this car, I'm going to have all the fluids changed out, except of course the motor oil which I just did. The car is going on 6 years old, with about 22K currently on the clock, and fluids have a tendency to break down after time.

During the winter months, I noticed when I would make a turn, my power steering unit would whine a little. I checked the fluid lever and it was full. I believe it was AM Fixer, who addressed this same issue for someone else, and suggested to change the power steering fluid to remedy this problem.

Anyway, I will take my car to the local Aston dealership soon, and have all the fluids changed, to hopefully ensure good service and continued reliability that I've experienced so far. Has anyone else had all their fluids changed, or should I say, kept their cars long enough to do this? Thanks for taking the time to read this. Chris

Old 08-01-2012, 02:26 PM
veijones is on a distinguished road
Hi - I've put over 37K miles on my '06 V8V and they have been trouble free other than normal maintenance. I've changed oil & filter & air filters three times now, changed the trans fluid & coolant once. I've also replaced the front brake pads and cabin air filter. I took off and had most of the dash re-covered because of shrinking leather. The car is my daily driver and I have really enjoyed it. I was over at the factory last summer and talked with several service guys and whoever else I could grab; they all said the engine (with regular service & moderate abuse levels) should go 300K.

The 6 spd manual transmission is fairly stiff until it is warmed up.

There is also a whine that kindof sounds like power steering but I'm told it is the front oil pump. There was a service bulletin to replace a steel check ball with a resin one. The sound goes away on mine when it is fully warmed up.

I have a set of AM 19" wheels with summer tires and a set of 18" with all-season tires for the winter.

I'm agonizing over installing a supercharger and related items ...

Old 08-01-2012, 02:27 PM
veijones is on a distinguished road
I also flushed and replaced the brake fluid.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Banned
sabrinadaisy is on a distinguished road
Yea.. it is most advised to take the car to the local aston dealer shop

Old 08-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Patrick B is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by veijones
Hi - I've put over 37K miles on my '06 V8V and they have been trouble free other than normal maintenance. I've changed oil & filter & air filters three times now, changed the trans fluid & coolant once. I've also replaced the front brake pads and cabin air filter. I took off and had most of the dash re-covered because of shrinking leather. The car is my daily driver and I have really enjoyed it. I was over at the factory last summer and talked with several service guys and whoever else I could grab; they all said the engine (with regular service & moderate abuse levels) should go 300K.

The 6 spd manual transmission is fairly stiff until it is warmed up.

There is also a whine that kindof sounds like power steering but I'm told it is the front oil pump. There was a service bulletin to replace a steel check ball with a resin one. The sound goes away on mine when it is fully warmed up.

I have a set of AM 19" wheels with summer tires and a set of 18" with all-season tires for the winter.

I'm agonizing over installing a supercharger and related items ...
I'm curious about one thing....what part of the world are you living in for winter driving your Aston Martin?

There are some actual 'snow' tires available for it (Pirelli Sottozeros, in 18" and 19"), but I'm wondering how severe your winters are (both for surviving on all-seasons, and just general winter conditions)?

Thanks,

Patrick