Notices
Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New Member Here!

 
  #16  
Old 09-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atherton, CA
Age: 30
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 0
Johncy2000 is on a distinguished road
I was surprised with how stiff the suspension was on the DB9. I was driving near downtown and I could feel almost every bump in the road. But it was not unbearable. I think it suited the car very well more like a sports car than a touring gt car. The DB9 is really in a class of its own. I used to own a Maserati Gransport and I thought that was a good GT car but the Aston is a level higher than the maserati. (except the Granturismo S).
 
  #17  
Old 09-05-2012, 09:05 AM
yvr's Avatar
yvr
yvr is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 743
Rep Power: 50
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
It smooths out with more speed The OEM Bridgestones can also be a bit harsh as they get old/worn.
 
  #18  
Old 09-05-2012, 10:07 AM
dicktahoe's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Incline Village, NV
Posts: 601
Rep Power: 37
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
From Johncy2000: "I'm actually in the Atherton area. Marin seems kind of far. Whats the going cost per hour at the dealer?"

A couple of thoughts. I live in Incline Village, NV, so for me it's 400-mile round-trip to Aston in Marin, where I've always taken my car for service. When you get your Aston, I would certainly take it there for my first service--just to get it fully checked out by those who really know the car.

Also, the Aston you are looking at sounds very problematical--from all you've said. I'd be very wary of that car, and the dealer who may have bought it at auction. Owners generally take excellent care of their Astons. I bought mine from a private party, and would not hesitate to do it again. Some even have extended warantees. Give yourself about a $5K leeway, to get the car you want with the options you want and don't get sucked into a car, just because of its low price. Look at Astons available from a Private Party, and most if not all will have a complete service history. Of course you can take the VIN to Aston in Marin or Los Gatos, and they will run a "Service records" dump for you.
 
  #19  
Old 09-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atherton, CA
Age: 30
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 0
Johncy2000 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dicktahoe View Post
From Johncy2000: "I'm actually in the Atherton area. Marin seems kind of far. Whats the going cost per hour at the dealer?"

A couple of thoughts. I live in Incline Village, NV, so for me it's 400-mile round-trip to Aston in Marin, where I've always taken my car for service. When you get your Aston, I would certainly take it there for my first service--just to get it fully checked out by those who really know the car.

Also, the Aston you are looking at sounds very problematical--from all you've said. I'd be very wary of that car, and the dealer who may have bought it at auction. Owners generally take excellent care of their Astons. I bought mine from a private party, and would not hesitate to do it again. Some even have extended warantees. Give yourself about a $5K leeway, to get the car you want with the options you want and don't get sucked into a car, just because of its low price. Look at Astons available from a Private Party, and most if not all will have a complete service history. Of course you can take the VIN to Aston in Marin or Los Gatos, and they will run a "Service records" dump for you.
Thank you for the advice man! Man that is a drive to service your car but it must be fun taking a road trip in the Aston. I will give Aston Martin of Marin a call. I found a private party one silver with volante wheels with service records and one owner. Well see.
 
  #20  
Old 09-05-2012, 02:16 PM
yvr's Avatar
yvr
yvr is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 743
Rep Power: 50
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Johncy2000 View Post
I found a private party one silver with volante wheels with service records and one owner. Well see.
Don't go paying extra for those Volante wheels Volante is just Aston's term for a DB9/DBS convertible -- same wheels available regardless of roof material
 
  #21  
Old 09-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atherton, CA
Age: 30
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 0
Johncy2000 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by yvr View Post
Don't go paying extra for those Volante wheels Volante is just Aston's term for a DB9/DBS convertible -- same wheels available regardless of roof material
He's asking 75k for a 2005 with 21,000 miles. I will not pay a penny more than 75k.
 
  #22  
Old 09-06-2012, 12:26 AM
mfrankel's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 164
Rep Power: 15
mfrankel is on a distinguished road
For pricing, let me save you 5 digits! I paid $60K for a 2005 DB9, one owner car, fully serviced by dealer with records, 7500 miles for $60K, stripped version with original sticker of $189K about a year and a half ago from a private owner. I waited months for the right deal, and worth the wait as I have had some annoying issues, but nothing major or costly (knock on walnut trim) and just turned over 20K miles. I did have the car shipped cross country, and have seen other DB9's pop up in similar price ranges to what I paid versus what you were thinking....
 

Last edited by mfrankel; 09-06-2012 at 12:27 AM. Reason: spelling
  #23  
Old 09-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atherton, CA
Age: 30
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 0
Johncy2000 is on a distinguished road
Do you guys know of any extended warranties that are good for the DB9? Let me know thanks!
 
  #24  
Old 09-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atherton, CA
Age: 30
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 0
Johncy2000 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mfrankel View Post
For pricing, let me save you 5 digits! I paid $60K for a 2005 DB9, one owner car, fully serviced by dealer with records, 7500 miles for $60K, stripped version with original sticker of $189K about a year and a half ago from a private owner. I waited months for the right deal, and worth the wait as I have had some annoying issues, but nothing major or costly (knock on walnut trim) and just turned over 20K miles. I did have the car shipped cross country, and have seen other DB9's pop up in similar price ranges to what I paid versus what you were thinking....
Thank you for the advice sir! I just talked to the guy that owns the DB9 going for 75k. He won't budge on pricing but has full records of service and its a one owner car. I feel really tempted. The one's going for 60k on autotrader are higher mileage or something wrong with it like a rebuilt title. Where did you find your DB9 I want to know!
 
  #25  
Old 09-06-2012, 11:18 PM
sunir's Avatar
Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 5,087
Rep Power: 273
sunir has a reputation beyond reputesunir has a reputation beyond reputesunir has a reputation beyond reputesunir has a reputation beyond reputesunir has a reputation beyond reputesunir has a reputation beyond reputesunir has a reputation beyond reputesunir has a reputation beyond reputesunir has a reputation beyond reputesunir has a reputation beyond reputesunir has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the Aston Martin forum here on the 6! You are looking at a wonderful car in the DB9, truly an epic auto and the benchmark for all vh cars to follow. There is noting wrong with the 05 models per se but the book recommended is fantastic to give an idea of what options there are on each model year. 60k for a DB is an outlier, it's not the norm range, the 75k with all records may be a good choice. My advice is to get a ppi done on the car, also if the dealer doesn't have records see if you can dig around and find out where the car has been serviced maybe they will have the service history, many shops and dealerships keep running files, especially on a car like the DB. As for a shop either dealer or a shop you trust that works on astons and/or other exotics. I've taken my DB9 to my tech that works on my other cars and he's an automotive whiz, he's also worked on my race car. If you have a good tech or shop you already use you may like to try them, the Aston is a car the end of the day, and although its an exotic its not super complicated at the end of the day and there are detailed shop literature to support it, I have had a specialist look over mine and used a specialty Aston shop when needed, and we track everything meticiulously and keep records, I've also used the dealer for inquiries. To be quite honest with you these cars are pretty care free and problem free. My DB9 has not given me any issues at all. Regular maintenance, fluid care, consumable replacements and gas her up and your good to go! Enjoy your Aston Martin and welcome to the club
 
  #26  
Old 09-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atherton, CA
Age: 30
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 0
Johncy2000 is on a distinguished road
Sunir thank you for the insight on purchasing the db9. The owner actually referred me to Aston Martin of Marin which is where the car was serviced. Lucian is the general manager in the service department over there and I will get a hold of him tomorrow to talk about the db9. I hope all is well with the car. I'm glad to see a lot of active members who own astons! This forum is great guys. Such a universal website that caters to all car enthusiasts!
 
  #27  
Old 09-07-2012, 01:29 AM
mfrankel's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 164
Rep Power: 15
mfrankel is on a distinguished road
John, reading your posts…it sounds like you’re falling in love! If so, congratulations.

Sunir, very good advice about the ability of a good tech to offer their advice, and tracking down the service records. You never want to be hit with an expensive surprise when it can be avoided. A 2005 is a 7 year-old car and that’s a lot of time for something to happen. Fortunately, these have proven to overall be very well engineered & well built cars.

We’re all drawn to the hottie, but we all also know that some hotties come with unseen & unwanted presents. At least with cars you can ask for records of prior experience without getting slapped. J

If still undecided, I found my deal on cars.com, but looked at all the usual sites for about 5 months until I pulled the trigger. I noticed a significant variation of what was for sale at any given time. I had fun looking for you a moment ago and the links to 3 that may be better deals than what you mentioned previously are below. Keep in mind that 3 months from now a whole new set of vehicles will be for sale.

Whatever you decide, I hope you find what you’re looking for, and I’ll eagerly look forward to your posts as your story unfolds.

Check out:
http://www.lemonfree.com/car/Aston-Martin-DB9-2005/SCFAD01A25GA01248?utm_source=VASTNetwork&utm_mediu m=CPC&utm_campaign=PaidVastTraffic

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=91709&endYear=2013&modelC ode1=DB9&startYear=1981&makeCode1=ASTON&listingTyp e=used&searchRadius=0&maxPrice=75000&listingId=320 789670&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=91709&endYear=2013&modelC ode1=DB9&startYear=1981&makeCode1=ASTON&listingTyp e=used&searchRadius=0&maxPrice=75000&listingId=323 263885&Log=0
 
  #28  
Old 09-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atherton, CA
Age: 30
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 0
Johncy2000 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mfrankel View Post
John, reading your posts…it sounds like you’re falling in love! If so, congratulations.

Sunir, very good advice about the ability of a good tech to offer their advice, and tracking down the service records. You never want to be hit with an expensive surprise when it can be avoided. A 2005 is a 7 year-old car and that’s a lot of time for something to happen. Fortunately, these have proven to overall be very well engineered & well built cars.

We’re all drawn to the hottie, but we all also know that some hotties come with unseen & unwanted presents. At least with cars you can ask for records of prior experience without getting slapped. J

If still undecided, I found my deal on cars.com, but looked at all the usual sites for about 5 months until I pulled the trigger. I noticed a significant variation of what was for sale at any given time. I had fun looking for you a moment ago and the links to 3 that may be better deals than what you mentioned previously are below. Keep in mind that 3 months from now a whole new set of vehicles will be for sale.

Whatever you decide, I hope you find what you’re looking for, and I’ll eagerly look forward to your posts as your story unfolds.

Check out:
http://www.lemonfree.com/car/Aston-Martin-DB9-2005/SCFAD01A25GA01248?utm_source=VASTNetwork&utm_mediu m=CPC&utm_campaign=PaidVastTraffic

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=91709&endYear=2013&modelC ode1=DB9&startYear=1981&makeCode1=ASTON&listingTyp e=used&searchRadius=0&maxPrice=75000&listingId=320 789670&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=91709&endYear=2013&modelC ode1=DB9&startYear=1981&makeCode1=ASTON&listingTyp e=used&searchRadius=0&maxPrice=75000&listingId=323 263885&Log=0
Thank you very much for the help mfrankel! The one going for 60k looks like its in good condition except the engine shows signs of dust which I am concerned about. For some reason I look at the engine for cleanliness on this car. I think it is a must when buying an Aston. But looks can be decieving so I am careful. I understand that these are well built cars but there is a chance that these low priced astons have been neglected. Who knows? Carfax doesn't tell you jack. You really have to find an owner that really does love the car and meticulously takes care of the car.

The dark blue metallic with the custom rims (Savini I think) looks nice but a little on the ghetto side with the chrome wheels. I would go for either gunmetal with a machined lip or machined center with a polished lip. But thats just me.

Again thank you sir for your help and ideas! I hope to be part of the Aston owners club very soon!!
 
  #29  
Old 09-07-2012, 08:11 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atherton, CA
Age: 30
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 0
Johncy2000 is on a distinguished road
A dealership in Illinois will be getting in a 2 owner black db9 with TWO TONE Black and Red interior with piano black accents!! 18000 miles for an 2006 going at 77,000 so I can get it for 75,000 I'm sure! Im on the fence on the silver one going for 75k with service records. Should I wait a couple weeks for the black one in Illinois? I don't know.
 

Last edited by Johncy2000; 09-07-2012 at 08:20 AM.
  #30  
Old 09-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atherton, CA
Age: 30
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 0
Johncy2000 is on a distinguished road
Where do I buy the buyer's guide for the DB9 guys?
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: New Member Here!


Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.