Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Buying DBS 2008

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 06:27 AM
Viktor4S is on a distinguished road
Buying DBS 2008

Hello friends,
I have a carrera 4S 2007 for already two years.I didnt have any problems with the car.Bought it with 20tk and now have about 40tk.
Iam thinking now to sell it and to buy an older DBS (from 2008) at spring of next year. I want manual transmission, because of the frequent failures of automatic I heard about.
Give me your advices,recommendations please...if my idea is good, or if I should count now to spend a lot of money in service:-)

Thank you.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:32 AM
MichaelD will become famous soon enough
Where have you heard of a gearbox failure on an auto DBS? I've never heard of a single failure anywhere.

It's a normal ZF auto that you'd find on any powerful car from any European manufacturer, calibrated for the DBS, but very common and very reliable

Old 09-21-2012, 11:39 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
DBS came out in 2009 in the USA? Are you in Europe? The TT2 should be relaiable in the DB series cars, manual is fine also but eiather one will be reliable.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by MichaelD
Where have you heard of a gearbox failure on an auto DBS? I've never heard of a single failure anywhere.

It's a normal ZF auto that you'd find on any powerful car from any European manufacturer, calibrated for the DBS, but very common and very reliable
My friend has vantage V8 and told me its necessary to change clutch every year...and if you move backwards up the hill you can change the clutch too:-)
My second friend has vantage V12 and has no problems with the car.
My father has Range Rover...and he changed during 8 years everything on the car.These are my experiences with english cars.
Thats why Iam asking you:-)

Old 09-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by sunir
DBS came out in 2009 in the USA? Are you in Europe? The TT2 should be relaiable in the DB series cars, manual is fine also but eiather one will be reliable.
Iam in europe...

Old 09-21-2012, 12:52 PM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
Vantage V8 has either 6 speed manual or SS (SportShift - automated manual gearbox)
The V8V SS is not the same as DBS' TT2 Automatic.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Benjamin09 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Viktor4S
My friend has vantage V8 and told me its necessary to change clutch every year...and if you move backwards up the hill you can change the clutch too:-)
My father has Range Rover...and he changed during 8 years everything on the car.These are my experiences with english cars.
Change the clutch every year? Does he do that for the fun of it?

Old 09-21-2012, 03:26 PM
OK, I understand. The Vantage is either a manual or an automated manual, they don't do a conventional automatic.

The gearbox in the DBS is a conventional automatic, with a torque converter, so its like every Audi, Merc, BMW automatic, they all use the same gearbox.

If your friend is wrecking a clutch every year he is doing something very wrong, they should last up to 30,000 miles. As it is an automated manual, it needs a 'clutch learn' procedure fairly often, without that procedure the clutch can go out of adjustment and that wears it much more quickly. The latest vantages do the clutch learn every time you start the car.

So, choose a DBS with auto or manual, they are both very, very reliable cars

Old 09-21-2012, 05:04 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
I just picked up a manual 09 DBS and the gearbox is very very smooth compared to the 08 Vantage I had (also manual).
My 430 Spider is F1, and this is a known issue that if you go up hills in reverse or first gear constantly, you can wear the clutch out very very quickly.
I personally enjoy the 6speed tranny on the DBS....

Just be prepared that the DBS is a very different driving experience from a P-car. It is heavier, lots of torque/power, has good handling, but will not drive as sporty as a P-car. But it is classy beyond belief!
I have a review on the DBS up on this section as well. Feel free to PM me for any questions. It is a British car, so there are always some idiosyncracies (I also have a Lotus and a Land Rover...)

Old 09-21-2012, 05:20 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
As mentioned above, your friend may need some driving lessons. The clutch can last much longer than the 30k mentioned above....I reverse off a lift and up a hill to back out of my garage and have over 30k on mine. There are many others on Pistonheads with a lot more mileage on their first clutch.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:24 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ Agreed. Especially the dual disc clutch on the DB9/DBS manual equipped cars.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
As mentioned above, your friend may need some driving lessons. The clutch can last much longer than the 30k mentioned above....I reverse off a lift and up a hill to back out of my garage and have over 30k on mine. There are many others on Pistonheads with a lot more mileage on their first clutch.
Sorry, but these clutches can go in a year even if you don't do anything wrong.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:37 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
^^Jay-I agree with the sportshift but respectfully disagree if its a manual.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
^^Jay-I agree with the sportshift but respectfully disagree if its a manual.
Yes, that appears to be the case.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Yes, that appears to be the case.
Sportshift 2 increases clutch life to 30,000 miles +

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying DBS 2008