Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DBS stalling, check battery switch, fuse box

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 01:07 PM
MikeD will become famous soon enough
DBS stalling, check battery switch, fuse box

Thought I'd share a recent experience with my 2010 DBS Volante.

I was leaving my home this past Tuesday, when the car died. I tried to restart it but the starter wouldn't engage. I coasted backwards down the hill and parked in front of my house. Tried again to start the car. Nothing. The radio, dash, etc., worked, but the starter wouldn't engage.

Then I noticed a message on the display: "Check Battery Switch". After failing to find any such switch in the obvious places (under the hood, in the trunk, under the rear seat), I resorted to the owner's manual for guidance. Well, there's no battery switch. Next, I go online to check the web. Voila! There's a post from another DBS owner describing the same problem. Unfortunately, that owner never received a reply.

So, left to my own devices, I decide to start checking fuses. First fuse box I check is the one under the hood. While trying to get the cover off, I hear sounds suggesting that the power has returned. I try to start the car. It starts. Then I shut it off to examine the fuse box a little more closely. I notice that the bottom mounting bolt is only finger tight, so I get a wrench and tighten it. Tried the car again and it fired right up. I attribute the stalling to the loose bolt and and drive off.

Later the same day, the car stalls again. This time I'm able to start it without getting out of the car. Ten minutes later, it stalls again. Again, I eventually get it started and head straight home.

The next day I call the dealer (AM of Long Island), who sent a driver with a service tech to pick up the car. I jiggled the fuse box to show the tech what happens and he suggested that one of the power contacts (under the box) was probably loose. I helped him push the car out of the garage, and away the car went.

It turned out that the positive post on the fuse box's underside had broken. The fuse box was replaced under warranty and I got the car back today. By the way, that box is accessed from underneath, by removing the wheel and liner.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:12 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Good to know, thanks for the info

Old 09-28-2012, 03:12 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Mike:
Thanks for posting your recent experience with your DBS.
The exchange of useful information is what forums are all about...
Rep points gladly awarded!!!