Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New Buyer: 2005 Vanquish S or 2008 DB9?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:47 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Everything's been said already, so I'll just put my 5c in as a previous Vanquish owner.

It's not a city car. The clutch is not designed for slow driving and wears at the same rate as any Ferrari, with similar replacement costs.

For example, my 2003 Vanquish had US$15,000 spent on a full clutch replacement and upgrade before I bought it, and that was only at 25,000kms.

And my home is on a slope. Every time I drove it into the garage - even as fast as I could go - the smell of burning that lingered was quite distressing.

Several minor things went wrong and the local agent couldn't fix them, so the car had to to be transported 800kms to the main agent. Very inconvenient.

I could see most of these issues were not going to go away, so, as beautiful as it is, I sold it after a year.

By contrast my Bentley Continental GT has been problem-free after 2 years, but the response from the general public is very muted. With the Vanquish there would always be a crowd around it at whenever I parked... this is in a country (New Zealand) where the Aston Martin ownership per capita is the highest in the world.

The Bentley gets no interest at all. But attention and praise isn't everything I guess.

I'm looking to add a DB9 to my collection - it has all the advantages and none of the disadvantages of the Vanquish. Best of luck with your own choice!