Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 Vantage steering knock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 10:53 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
V8 Vantage steering knock

Hi guys - im new here and new to AM please can anyone tell me if they have a similar issue with the V8 V I have harsh knock coming through the steering wheel when i go over cobbles or similar road surface? dealer says its normal in the vantage, have not had this from my previous cars ?

Old 01-07-2013, 12:01 PM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
I think its the airbag spring mechanism.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 PM
droffsite will become famous soon enough
Happens in mine as well.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Steering wheel judder over bigger bumps is a common issue.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:41 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Thanks guys for the reply, I put my hand round the steering coulomb in the engine bay and find you can wiggle it but it has no real movement, interesting to note that the vantage has no rubber damping in the steering mechanism.
The airbag is located in the mid s/wheel section and the knock does not come from that but thanks for the comment i went to look

Old 01-08-2013, 01:19 AM
gekko will become famous soon enoughgekko will become famous soon enough
As other's have mentioned, AirBag rattle is a common issue (they fixed it on my MY07 with a beefer spring) But even after the fix, over rough roads I would feel a judder in the steering. My MY10 was much better in terms of this, but the roads after the winter months where challenging for the steering column.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:01 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Try holding the driving air bag when hitting a bump and see if the noise goes away..if it does there are plastic sleeves that have been made to go over the drivers airbag bolts, this deletes the play found on early V8V's and DB9's drivers air bags. These sleeves can be bought from your dealer if needed, there something like 2 dollars

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
The judder has nothing to do with the airbag and is not a rattle. You more feel it in your hands than hear it. I think I read that Aston resolved this issue on the new Vanq.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
I don't see anything about a judder in captain Greg's posts ?? Concern is a knock from the drivers airbag area over bumps..common known fix for drivers airbag knock heard over bumps is the airbag bolt sleeves ..(hehe its actually a Volvo repair brought over by Aston)

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Thanks irishO7 appreciate the feedback, I have now got the original factory manual, and will see how to get to the airbag and look at the sleeve repair you recommend.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM
^^^Not calling you out Irish. Just responding to what the OP stated:

"The airbag is located in the mid s/wheel section and the knock does not come from that but thanks for the comment."

Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Hi Racer X can i ask "stupid question'? checking the oil says run engine for 20 seconds- wait 30s seconds then chec dip stick? do we need to screw in the dipstick on the stainless tank - as i see it this can effect the reading of the level on the dip stick as the threaded part is about half an inch after reading the owners manual I am not clear on this

Old 01-08-2013, 11:30 AM
The dipstick doesn't screw in or out. You just pull it out and pop it back in as on any car. It's only the oil fill cap that threads on and off.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:29 PM
my dipstick is welded to the s/steel cap that screws in?

Old 01-08-2013, 01:44 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
V8 dipstick is a rod welded on to reservoir cap of dry sump sysyem
V12 is traditional dipstick in to sump

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: V8 Vantage steering knock