Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 Vantage steering knock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 05:30 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by captain Greg
Hi Racer X can i ask "stupid question'? checking the oil says run engine for 20 seconds- wait 30s seconds then chec dip stick? do we need to screw in the dipstick on the stainless tank - as i see it this can effect the reading of the level on the dip stick as the threaded part is about half an inch after reading the owners manual I am not clear on this
Our friend Racer X has a V12V which uses a different dipstick. Maybe Irish can answer this, since I've wondered this myself. I usually unscrew the dipstick after the 30 seconds, wipe it down, re-insert it, screw it all the way in, unscrew it again and then take a reading. It seems like a rather laborious process—especially since I don't know if that's the right way to do it anyway. That dipstick has a lot of threads.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:39 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Screw on dipstick that's kinda weird, no? I have a regular dipstick on my DB9 also. The v12 diptick is very easy list pull out and put back in.

As for the steering wheel and dash noises many of these cars have this sorta thing and some cabin noises some more than others, thankfully mine is pretty quiet but they are all hand built so they have some peculiarities.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:17 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Our friend Racer X has a V12V which uses a different dipstick. Maybe Irish can answer this, since I've wondered this myself. I usually unscrew the dipstick after the 30 seconds, wipe it down, re-insert it, screw it all the way in, unscrew it again and then take a reading. It seems like a rather laborious process—especially since I don't know if that's the right way to do it anyway. That dipstick has a lot of threads.
Yeah, sorry about that OP. I had a V8V before and only vaguely remember the different dipstick arrangement. So the V8 manual doesn't provide instructions re: threading or not?

Old 01-09-2013, 06:48 AM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
I remember having to screw in the dipstick for an accurate reading .... I am sure it is in the owner's manual.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:25 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by WG_moots
I remember having to screw in the dipstick for an accurate reading .... I am sure it is in the owner's manual.
You do and it is

Old 01-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Yes you have to thread the cap/stick back on, remove and check the final level..waiting to long to check the oil level after shut off will also set off the oil level, the oil will drain back to the sump over time..a minute off will not cause any level change..but I have seen ppl wait 1hour + to check oil level on the v8v, top up..then wonder why the exhaust is blowing burnt oil

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 03-26-2013, 01:30 PM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
Installed the sleeves last night. Quite an easy job. 10mins max.

Requires T-30, with a 2" extension and a ratchet. Posting a couple of pics, not a detailed diy.

Please note the part number is for ONE black sleeve. Bolt is from your airbag. There are two airbag bolts so order TWO sleeves.

Attached Images    
Old 03-26-2013, 02:56 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
thats fantastic my sleeves arrived in Cape town today will fit on weekend ...does it take the steering wheel noise away when you go over bumps?

Old 03-27-2013, 12:44 AM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captain Greg
thats fantastic my sleeves arrived in Cape town today will fit on weekend ...does it take the steering wheel noise away when you go over bumps?
Haven't had a chance to drive since. Pretty sure it does. Less play when you wriggle the airbag.