Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 Vantage Shifting Issues (Manual)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 09:23 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
V8 Vantage Shifting Issues (Manual)

My 2007 Vantage with 5,600 miles on it went balky on me today. It drove normally all morning (45 to 50 degrees outside) and when I parked it and got in it during lunch, it would not engage REVERSE at all. I fuddled and fiddle with it a good 10 minutes before finally forcing it into Reverse and getting out of the parking spot. 1st and 2nd are hard shifting as well..

Does not appear to be a clutch or synchro issue. Seems as though there is a cabling problem that just popped up in normal driving. Wasn't cold enough out to suspect really cold trans oil.

Anyone run into this before?

Old 01-20-2013, 01:22 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
That's strange Duane I've never heard of that before...maybe take it into AM Tysons for a look about. You just got the car from them it's probably still under some sort of purchase warranty period, no?

Old 01-20-2013, 08:15 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
No warranty on it, so I jacked it up today and crawled underneath looking for linkage issues, but the car has so much shielding on it and the exhaust has to be dropped to explore it that I decided to button it up. Figured I might start taking apart the interior console next, but before I did I gave a call to Aston Martin of Washington and Pieter, the GM answered. He said "You should not be having a problem! Bring the car over and let me look at it". So I did - and in 20 seconds Pieter said "This is caused by a small slave cylinder atop the transaxle, the seal is blown. I'll have service fix it for you tomorrow - don't worry, its not expensive."

And that - was that. I left the car with him and I'll just let them do it.

AM of Washington DC is such a great dealership. In all my years of buying cars, I've never seen such a place that is full of real 'car guys' that remember your name when you pull up and enjoy what they sell as much as the customers do.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:30 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^^ I have built that kind of relationship with several individuals at my dealership: AM of Orlando. They are truly nice guys that have always been willing to help me out. If I'm in town, I often stop by just to say hi and hang out for a while. I can truly say I have never done that or felt that way at any other dealership.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:34 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
I had a similar relationship with Robbie Allen (head technician at A-M Marin, CA), unfortunately he moved to Beverly Hills Aston and no longer convenient to me. :-{