Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Where can I find the correct gearbox oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:57 PM
shadowhusky will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by irish07
Royal Purple is a great oil, yes the Max Gear 75W90. Use it in my own personal cars and truck...RP already has the LSD friction additive mixed in there gear oil..so you do not add the Kendall additive for LSD..just fill with the Max Gear oil and your good to go!!

Thanks Irish, If I have any other questions I'll shoot you a PM.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:41 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Royal Purple is a great oil, yes the Max Gear 75W90. Use it in my own personal cars and truck...RP already has the LSD friction additive mixed in there gear oil..so you do not add the Kendall additive for LSD..just fill with the Max Gear oil and your good to go!!
Same for the manual transaxle in the DB9?

Old 01-24-2013, 07:24 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
More information; my direction

I too have tried to sort thru the transaxle fluids hodge-podge.

A friend, with a 70,000 mile V8V, changed his once and was staggered by the $100 a liter price in 08 at the dealers parts counter. Since then he has been draining his fluid and filtering it thru Mr Coffee filters on an annual basis. (He just returned from a 5,550 mile Detroit-Arizona-LA-Las Vegas-Detroit trip. No issues.)

I also talked to a knowledgeable Castrol distributor who said the initial factory fill is a full-synthetic. It should be good for 100,000 miles in a road car. I should not be concerned about my 16,500 miles over 5 years. He said this fluid is not affected by time, it is only affected by mileage. (He also said BOT is the code for the factory fill fluid....he can't buy it, we can'y buy it.)

So here is my plan as the car slumbers this winter. I will drain the BOT original, and run it thru coffee filters. That should catch most of the solids, I will be able to tell by the clarity of the resultant. If it needs it, it will go thru again.

This stuff is thick, filtering will take some time, but it is 12 degrees f, with a light dusting of snow this morning. It will be a couple of months before my Vantage returns to the road. I, as a retiree, have lots of time.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:57 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
All I can say is that changing the transaxle fluid with the factory specified stuff made a significant improvement in shift quality, esp. when cold. Was worth every penny.

And gear oil gets used up, not just dirty. The gears actually beat up the oil mechanically, causing the molecular chains to break apart. That's why it needs changing, since no amount of filtration is gonna' fix that.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 AM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
Filtering your differential fluid with a coffee filer to save $20/Qt. I will apologize up front, but that is the dumbest idea I have heard of, yet.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:36 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by millsjq
Filtering your differential fluid with a coffee filer to save $20/Qt. I will apologize up front, but that is the dumbest idea I have heard of, yet.
I couldn't agree more!! Unbelievable!! Guy has a 100K plus car and goes through all the trouble of draining the fluid and than putting the used crap back in? Talk to blackstone labs or any of the oil analysis places and "time" does have a significant impact. Moisture and other contaminants can still get into a transmission which is why time is so important. Most of the metal shavings are measured in microns, do you think a coffee filter will filter that out?

I'm printing this thread out, now maybe my wife won't think I'm so cheap!!

Can your buddy post his VIN number? I'm sure others would like to know what car NOT to buy. This exactly the reason why proper service records are so important when buying a used car! Coffee filter... LOL

Old 01-24-2013, 05:48 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ You guys are both wrong.... if Dunkin donuts high perfromance filters are used the oil will come out very fresh and full flavored!

I would use starbucks filters but they are too expensive !! ugh!

All kidding aside, I'd like to see how this disscussion progresess.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:50 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
The Royal Purple 75w-90 Max Gear is readily available everywhere and I had excellent results with mine. It has the necessary friction modifiers and make shifting much better when cold.

Hope that helps

Old 01-31-2013, 06:54 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Just a head up, ppl have asked me about the Castrol Syntrax vs Castrol SynGear gear oil...I've just been informed the Syntrax is thre new SynGear, Castrol just changed the name and applied the LSD additive to the fluid. So when you do a search, look for Castrol SynTrax 75W90(NO Kendall LSD additive required, alrady mixed in fluid) in North America, if in UK do a Search for Castrol BOT 270A(also has additive mixed in fluid), (like I've mentioned before, the BOT 270A is not avail in North America, so Castrol has the SynTrax brand for N.A) ..the BOT 270A is just a SAE 70W API GL4 gear oil, which would be the same as using the Castrol SynTrax 75W90 in N.A. ..Hope this explains the 2 fluid types(UK fluid VS. N.A fluid) a little better

Also, which ever fluid you get, from drain to fill..you will require 4 bottles (bottles 1L/ea X 4 bottles, aka 4L) ..fill till fluid pours out fill port, fit back plug..done deal

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Last edited by Irish07@VelocityAP; 01-31-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:29 AM
Just a head up, ppl have asked me about the Castrol Syntrax vs Castrol SynGear gear oil...I've just been informed the Syntrax is thre new SynGear, Castrol just changed the name and applied the LSD additive to the fluid. So when you do a search, look for Castrol SynTrax 75W90(NO Kendall LSD additive required, alrady mixed in fluid) in North America, if in UK do a Search for Castrol BOT 270A(also has additive mixed in fluid), (like I've mentioned before, the BOT 270A is not avail in North America, so Castrol has the SynTrax brand for N.A) ..the BOT 270A is just a SAE 70W API GL4 gear oil, which would be the same as using the Castrol SynTrax 75W90 in N.A. ..Hope this explains the 2 fluid types(UK fluid VS. N.A fluid) a little better

Also, which ever fluid you get, from drain to fill..you will require 4 bottles (bottles 1L/ea X 4 bottles, aka 4L) ..fill till fluid pours out fill port, fit back plug..done deal

That is good to know. I was debating buying the 35 lb pail this weekend and now I dont have to. I can jsut pick up the syntrax 75w90 now instead. once again Irish you are looking out for all of us.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:44 AM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
I searched for a US source without avail. If you find a source please post

Old 02-01-2013, 03:51 AM
Originally Posted by millsjq
I searched for a US source without avail. If you find a source please post

I did some searching too and this stuff is just as impossible to locate as the Syngear. Maybe I will call a few places today to see if they can ordr it.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:08 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
We have an account with Castrol to order directly from there warehouse in Canada..So I wouldn't know what stores would sell it locally in any area's of N.A. You guys could always write/call up Castrol USA and inquire about supply locally??

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-01-2013, 11:55 AM

Irish,

Do you know if the Castrol SYNTEC 75w90 gear oil isthe same as the Castrol SYNTRAX 75w90 Gear oil? I can’t seem to find the SYNTRAXanywhere in my area

Old 02-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Basic Sponsor
Ok so being I'm bored, I wrote up Castrol myself for you guys to find out what is the deal with the different names...this is what I got from a Castrol North America Rep:
Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Castrol BOT 270A is available for purchase within the UK
, Castrol Syntrax Limited Slip 75W-90 is available for purchase within the United States. In Canada, this product is called Castrol SYNTEC Gear Oil SAE 75W-90.

Please contact Wakefield Canada to find out where this gear lubrication is available for purchase in your area:

1-800-268-5339

Castrol Consumer Relations

They asked where I was from, hense the contact for Wakefield Canada...but I'm sure the toll free number can help find a location in USA

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where can I find the correct gearbox oil