Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Where can I find the correct gearbox oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 12:51 PM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
I wonder if that is the same as: Castrol SYNTEC Full Synthetic Gear Oil, 75W90. Not sure if Full Synthetic is the same as Synthetic. Like Castol Sport vs. non sport. If it is, the link to amazon show the product

http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-SYNTEC.../dp/B0002JMAKC

Old 02-01-2013, 01:25 PM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
Seems to have the same product data sheet

Old 02-01-2013, 02:11 PM
shadowhusky will become famous soon enough

I got pretty much the same answer. Seems strange however that the Castrol SYNTECis the one available in CANADA. Because thatis the one that I can buy here in the U.S.

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'AL'

AL: Thank you forcontacting Castrol North America. How may I assist you today?

Brian : I justwanted to know if the Castrol SYNTEC 75w90 gear oil is the same as the CastrolSYNTRAX 75w90 Gear oil? I cant seem to find the Syntrax anywhere in my area

AL: Yes it is. Theinitial name of the product was Syntec Gear Oil 75W-90. In November of 2011 allof our gear oils, fluids, greases, etc.. underwent a name change to align themwith the European products and the Syntec Gear Oil 75W-90 became the CastrolSyntrax Limited Slip 75W-90.

Brian : SO doesthat mean that if I was to buy the SYNTEC gear oil 75w90, it is just left overstock.

Brian : did theSYNTEC still have the friction modifiers in it like the SYNTRX currently has

AL: It is exactlythe same product, just a name and packaging change. The product is suitable forboth a standard as well as a limited slip differential.

Brian : thanks Iappreciate it.

AL: Is thereanything else I can assist you with today?

AL: You might liketo visit www.mycastrolcrew.com to find out more about the Castrol Crew LoyaltyProgram for Castrol product users. This program allows you to earn CastrolCredits which can be redeemed towards Castrol branded merchandise and thewebsite keeps you up to date regarding specific Castrol offers exclusive racingcontent. You may also join discussions with like-minded Castrol fans!

Old 02-01-2013, 02:37 PM
spainconection is on a distinguished road
BOT 270A is A API GL4 (NO API GL5)

Attached Images    
Old 02-01-2013, 03:12 PM
spainconection is on a distinguished road
BOT 270A is A API GL4 (NOT API GL5)

Old 06-12-2019, 06:18 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Didn't want to start a new thread so just added this here. I'm about to swap out driveline fluids which I suspect are OE. My 2006 V8V only has 16K on it but any original fluids are now likely approaching 14 years old.
I'll order Amsoil SVG 75w90 which I've used in a few other cars (BMW) for the manual tranny. I was checking the capacity (4.7L) in the AM Tech Manual before ordering the tranny fluid and I also see a Final Drive Mobil 1 80w140 which I assume is a diff oil. Oddly, I've never come across any discussion in this forum or a DIY for this separate fluid replacement? My assumption was that the transaxle config used a single fluid for both gear change and diff operations. So why the separate oil spec for a Final Drive?

Edit: Ok so I was searching for info to resolve the statement above and referred to the Owners Manual - it has no reference to any different Final Drive (differential) 80w140 oil but then offers a different fluid capacity for the transaxle than the tech manual and Redpants DIY's. So anyone actually know is it 4.7 litres for the transaxle or 5.0 litres and what the Mobil 1 80w140 is about?

Aston Martin Vantage Owner Manual

Aston Martin Vantage Owner Manual

Last edited by BMW-North; 06-12-2019 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Added conflicting AM source data
Old 06-12-2019, 09:51 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Ok so from what I can garner from other sources the reference to the final drive fluid (Mobil 1 80w140) is only relevant to automatic transmissions. The fluid capacity for my 6 speed manual trans-axle and cooler is 5.0 liters (5.3 quarts). If this is incorrect please inform me and post a source.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:43 PM
Finally got around to posting these pics from when I did the transaxle oil. My Vantage is a 6 speed manual - just hit 17K my God this oil change was overdue. The oil I drained was rancid, drained like water and was black.

I filled it with nice golden Amsoil SVG 75w90. I've done countless BMW tranny's and differentials and never seen oil this bad - even after 100K. The drain plug on the bottom of the transaxle is magnetic to collect shrapnel in addition to the small mesh filter on the lower left side (the one with 2x8mm bolts). The mesh filter was full of shrapnel as was the magnetic drain plug. Thank heaven I didn't wait till 30k to change the fluid. Shifting seems smoother and I perceive the back end to be a little quieter.

If you are doing this job, like any tranny/diff drain & fill - loosen the top fill plug first. My 22m plug was on factory tight with loctite and took some effort to initially loosen. If you don't have a lift and working on jack stands try to get the car as high as possible so that you can use a johnson bar for leverage, there's not enough room for an impact and a regular size ratchet wasn't enough (for mine anyway).

Vantage V8 (manual) trans-axle magnetic drain plug - clogged with shrapnel @ 17K.

Edit: Forgot to mention the trans-axle drained 4.2 Quarts of black oil but took 4.5 quarts to fill completely.

Last edited by BMW-North; 07-21-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:54 PM
AM4884 will become famous soon enoughAM4884 will become famous soon enough
Thanks. I have a 30" breaker bar just for these situations...

Old 03-18-2024, 11:08 PM
V12Stealth is an unknown quantity at this point
Amsoil SVG 75w90 has sulfate additives in it. Which apparently is bad for brass synchros in manual transmissions? Same with Valvoline 75w90.

The redline mt-lv explicitly says it does not contain sulfurs. So why are so many people using these GL5 oils with sulfur in their manual transmission cars?

Old 03-20-2024, 01:50 PM
Argus will become famous soon enough

I just ordered Redline MT-LV from 2 wheel to 4 wheel. 5 quarts plus shipping was $105. The bottle says for use with Aston Martin.