Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8S and V12

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Fubar has a spectacular aura aboutFubar has a spectacular aura about
The money was certianly a factor for me but the gear box was a big factor too. As a daily diver, I wanted the option of some type of 'auto.' I really like V8V-S gear box but its not perfect, dual clutch is perfect. I also think the S sounds better than the V12. I agree that a manual gearbox can be fun, it's just not my choice for a daily. You can't deny the extra torque of the V12 is fun. I think both cars are well balanced. In fact, I doubt there is much weight difference between the two models. The extra torque just makes the V12 feel a little looser, it'll get squirley (I think the v8 would do the same with another 70 HP). Then the money... well that is just your personal thing. It pains me that I am daily driving a car that stickers for $150k. My grandfather would go nuts if he knew. I know what the depreciation is going to be like and I'm sure ill regret it when it's time to sell. It's all good right now tho.

The brakes on the V8V-S will fade but it takes a lot of work to get them that hot. I suspect the carbon ceramic brakes on the V12 are flawless. I never got a chance to tract the V12.

Good luck choosing, how great is it to have to make this kind of decision?

Old 03-06-2013, 06:56 AM
Breezman will become famous soon enoughBreezman will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Fubar
The money was certianly a factor for me but the gear box was a big factor too. As a daily diver, I wanted the option of some type of 'auto.' I really like V8V-S gear box but its not perfect, dual clutch is perfect. I also think the S sounds better than the V12. I agree that a manual gearbox can be fun, it's just not my choice for a daily. You can't deny the extra torque of the V12 is fun. I think both cars are well balanced. In fact, I doubt there is much weight difference between the two models. The extra torque just makes the V12 feel a little looser, it'll get squirley (I think the v8 would do the same with another 70 HP). Then the money... well that is just your personal thing. It pains me that I am daily driving a car that stickers for $150k. My grandfather would go nuts if he knew. I know what the depreciation is going to be like and I'm sure ill regret it when it's time to sell. It's all good right now tho.

The brakes on the V8V-S will fade but it takes a lot of work to get them that hot. I suspect the carbon ceramic brakes on the V12 are flawless. I never got a chance to tract the V12.

Good luck choosing, how great is it to have to make this kind of decision?
Yes we are very fortunate to be in this spot. was not always the case and sometimes I need to pinch myself to make sure I am not dreaming.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:01 AM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
For me, it is purely monetary. I would give up my V8VS in a heartbeat if financial means were available and maybe still hope to one day. The hardest thing for me is knowing that I purchased my V8VS brand new. It is mine first and mine alone, and knowing that will make it very difficult to let go if the time is ever right.

I miss driving manual, however for me the SS2 transmission matches the "class" of car. At first it was confusing, but I've learned to love it and maximize it's potential. I came from a manual 6spd V8V, two Lotus' and a handful of manual sports cars in the past, and I find myself no longer looking for the fastest lap times or tracking my vehicle. However I still can kick on the TCS from time to time.

I would love to add a V12 to my ownership list is still a dream that I'm looking to one day fulfill. I think the exhaust of the V8VS sounds amazing, but the engine note and massive V12 in the V12V will still keep me motivated to stay in the Aston Martin family. That, or getting my V8VS to 500-whp...

If any V12V owners ever want to go to a V8VS, just let me know...

Old 03-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Viper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the rough
I have owned several V8s and now have a 2011 V8 Roadster and a 2012 V12 Coupe. I consider the Roadster to be a great GT cruiser and date night car. I have driven several S versions and agree the transmission is better than the sport shift but, I think the suspension is too stiff for a convertible. I like everything about the S except the suspension. If you have a coupe its probably not a negative as I classify the coupe to be more of a sports car then the convertible. However, the V12 is a completely different car. It is absolutely a sports car not a GT. I agree with the term many use that it is a beast compared to the V8. It is a luxurious beast but a beast nonetheless. The car has great power, clutch and shifter feel and excellent brakes. The only option I would add is an adjustable suspension such as the magnaride or at least the three way adjustable dampers on the new Vanquish. On anything less than good surface roads it is a little harsh and on the track it is a bit soft. I tracked mine for the first time last weekend and it did well for a street car but had a little too much body roll when thrown into tight corners and chicanes. Adjustable dampers would help make the car perfect for the street and a good occasional track car.
In answer to the original question if I only had one I would always take the V12. Now, if they would just bring us the V12 Roadster.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:46 PM
No32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of light
the new GT3 has a cool PDK feature, by holding both shifters together you get similar result to pushing the clutch pedal. I wish The V8s had it

Old 03-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Viper1
I have owned several V8s and now have a 2011 V8 Roadster and a 2012 V12 Coupe. I consider the Roadster to be a great GT cruiser and date night car. I have driven several S versions and agree the transmission is better than the sport shift but, I think the suspension is too stiff for a convertible. I like everything about the S except the suspension. If you have a coupe its probably not a negative as I classify the coupe to be more of a sports car then the convertible. However, the V12 is a completely different car. It is absolutely a sports car not a GT. I agree with the term many use that it is a beast compared to the V8. It is a luxurious beast but a beast nonetheless. The car has great power, clutch and shifter feel and excellent brakes. The only option I would add is an adjustable suspension such as the magnaride or at least the three way adjustable dampers on the new Vanquish. On anything less than good surface roads it is a little harsh and on the track it is a bit soft. I tracked mine for the first time last weekend and it did well for a street car but had a little too much body roll when thrown into tight corners and chicanes. Adjustable dampers would help make the car perfect for the street and a good occasional track car.
In answer to the original question if I only had one I would always take the V12. Now, if they would just bring us the V12 Roadster.
Thank you for the details- would you feel more comfortable in having the V12 or V8S as a DD ?

Old 03-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by No32
I don't drive at rush hours so it didn't make any difference to me.
I found it superior to the V8s in all aspects. it took me some time to get use to the differences and today i can do everything I did with the V8s and much more... so much fun
Can you expand please?

Old 03-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Viper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the rough
I really would not use either for a daily driver unless you have clear weather all the time and don't have to deal with city parking etc. The cars are just too nice to expose to all the elements all the time. I have other transportation for daily use. If I had to choose I would use the V8s for a daily car. It gets better fuel mileage, has an auto for being stuck in traffic and you are probably less prone to tickets from sudden outbursts of speed!

Old 03-07-2013, 07:40 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I have owned a 4.7 AMV8 and it was a great car. Just LOVED it. To be honest I still think about this car.

But...

I purchased a V12 Vantage and it is a better car in almost every way. To be sure it is a different car than the V8. At least it feels different and has a very different character.

The steering is nice an sharp, the ride is firm and far better for it. The whole car has a much more eager feel to it, like a dog pulling on the leash. This is the most purposeful Aston I have ever driven. Perhaps it is/has a wider track.

The car has an amazing level of polish. I like the vents, but I hav a carbon edition and it works as a unit. For me this car IS the Danial Craig BOND, personified as a car. Suave and full of class, but there is menace just under the surface. It is really only the appearance of reserve, underneath is mayhem just willing to be unleashed.

Posh appearance, brawlers soul.

Push the loud pedal, and release the thunder. No car sounds this good. Honestly, this is the epic. And frankly epic is the nature of the car. I also have an Audi R8 and I have tracked it and the Aston.

The Audi is by far the faster car. It ensures you are efficient, fast, it makes you a hero. The Audi is about control a and that's great for the track.

The Aston is about experience. This is a car that wants you to be epic and it will let you put yourself in harms way to achieve that. The Aston is wilder, more visceral and frankly the better Road Car.

Don't get me wrong, it is an amazing track car, but its not a track weapon, nor is it a GT car like most Astons.

The V12 is a unique experience that is soon not going to be available. Get one while you can, it really has no peers.

Last edited by black penguin; 03-07-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by black penguin
I have owned a 4.7 AMV8 and it was a great car. Just LOVED it. To be honest I still think about this car.

But...

I purchased a V12 Vantage and it is a better car in almost every way. To be sure it is a different car than the V8. At least it feels different and has a very different character.

The steering is nice an sharp, the ride is firm and far better for it. The whole car has a much more eager feel to it, like a dog pulling on the leash. This is the most purposeful Aston I have ever driven. Perhaps it is/has a wider track.

The car has an amazing level of polish. I like the vents, but I hav a carbon edition and it works as a unit. For me this car IS the Danial Craig BOND, personified as a car. Suave and full of class, but there is menace just under the surface. It is really only the appearance of reserve, underneath is mayhem just willing to be unleashed.

Push the loud pedal, and release the thunder. No car sounds this good. Honestly, this is the epic. And frankly epic is the nature of the car. I also have an Audi R8 and I have tracked it and the Aston.

The Audi is by far the faster car. It ensures you are efficient, fast, it makes you a hero. The Audi is about control a and that's great for the track.

The Aston is about experience. This is a car that wants you to be epic and it will let you put yourself in harms way to achieve that. The Aston is wilder, more visceral and frankly the better Road Car.

Don't get me wrong, it is an amazing track car, but its not a track weapon, nor is it a GT car like most Astons.

The V12 is a unique experience that is soon not going to be available. Get one while you can, it really has no peers.
Wow- you are a great writer- makes me want to go on a far away journey, sailing into the sunset and then when i fet to a far away shore.. have an aston martin V12V waiting for me.. ok got it, Done!!!

Btw- i also test drove the R8 and 30 minutes later bought the vantage because it made me feel!!

Old 03-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Viper1
I really would not use either for a daily driver unless you have clear weather all the time and don't have to deal with city parking etc. The cars are just too nice to expose to all the elements all the time. I have other transportation for daily use. If I had to choose I would use the V8s for a daily car. It gets better fuel mileage, has an auto for being stuck in traffic and you are probably less prone to tickets from sudden outbursts of speed!
I live in Malibu on the coast and go into town a few times a week at 6 Am. Just me and the sunrise over the crashing waves. amazing experience when combine with the sound of the vantage. On other times its just driving up and down the coast. weather does not get much better that this IMHO.

And i dont have to deal with parking either..

Old 03-08-2013, 07:13 AM
In that case buy a V12. You won't regret it. I've driven that same area many times and the V12 will make the drive that much better. We started the "Aston On Tour" there last year as a matter of fact. Great drive up the coast. I have been up the coast many times in one of my V8s and may take the V12 this year. The V12 will be ideal in your area. Case closed.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:56 AM
DoctorWill is on a distinguished road
Wow, nice write up! I wish I can write like that! Absolutely agree with what you said. V12V is the classiest brawler on the street.

Originally Posted by black penguin

But...

Old 03-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Breezman
I live in Malibu on the coast and go into town a few times a week at 6 Am. Just me and the sunrise over the crashing waves. amazing experience when combine with the sound of the vantage. On other times its just driving up and down the coast.
Not the same driving environment, but this made me think of the following video (oldie but a goodie):

Old 03-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Beautiful all the way thru. maybe i should make one too- LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V8S and V12