Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

rear silencer box V8 V

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 02:06 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
rear silencer box V8 V

Hi i am driving with the fuse 22 out (thrown away) i was looking at the factory workshop manual and when looking at the diagram of how the outward gasses flow it seems to me apart from the fact that they cross over from left to right and visa versa, the box adds no value with the fuse out?

would I be correct in thinking i could take it out completely and save a couple of Kilos on weight? if so will it be to loud and will it add or detract from performance? we will obviously make up stainless pipes to route the exhaust gases

Old 03-19-2013, 07:58 AM
AstroAston is on a distinguished road
You'd definitely save about 30-40 pounds (probably even more of you go with no box at all). Most aftermarket silencers advertise a 30lb savings or so.. the stock box is an absolute beast compared to the aftermarket ones. The noise would be pretty bad though -- I couldn't imagine the drone that you'd hear on the highway around 65mph.
Power-wise I think there's been a few dynos on here that have shown a 3-5hp increase going aftermarket.. so figure maybe a tad more with no box.. though I'm not sure how the torque curve will look with such a drop in back pressure.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:31 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Forget the drone it will be deafening at all rpm
I've driven one with hi flow header 200 cell cats and a quicksilver super sport back box and that was LOUD owner went back to stock box

Old 03-19-2013, 08:46 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
but I am not removing the cats? and if the box is technically a straight through with the fuse out i am battling with the concept of how it attenuates the sound?

Old 03-19-2013, 08:53 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Capt. Greg... move to the 200 cll cats with the same rear box as mikey as that will give you the best of both worlds.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:34 PM
macksamus will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by captain Greg
but I am not removing the cats? and if the box is technically a straight through with the fuse out i am battling with the concept of how it attenuates the sound?
Doesn't the box itself have baffling material inside that reduces the sound? That reduction in noise would occur with or without Fuse 22 by virtue of just having the box.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:52 PM
AstroAston is on a distinguished road
I think macsamus is right...

Old 03-19-2013, 01:58 PM
pity I cannot upload the drawing from the factory workshop manual? it will make the issue a bit more clear, but yes i think macksamus is most likely correct

Old 03-20-2013, 04:10 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Capt Greg is actually right, but with the valve open the box still has a resonator effect even with no flow through the packing. Also there are enough changes in direction to give the required level of drone free noise

Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
If you want loud on the cheap then sure, put in bypass pipes. But I was shocked how loud the hi flo cats were with a stock exhaust. I love it but I could not go louder. The drone on the highway would be too much for me I'm sure. And when you drop the pedal with the cats, the car just screams. I get non-stop compliments on the sound at enthusiast meets with cats alone. It's adds a little bit more metallic, race track grunt to the already gorgeous sound the car puts out.