Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2007 Vantage V8 Sportshift should I?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 08:53 AM
MaziKidNy is on a distinguished road
2007 Vantage V8 Sportshift should I?

hey guys just wanted to get some feedback from vantage owners out there..
I recently sold my maserati and im ready to pull the trigger on a vantage only problem is the one im looking at is a sportshift and i really wanted a stick but for the price i might bite the bullet..
car is an 07 with 32k on it took it to the dealer for a ppi and everything came back ok to my knoledge the clutch wasnt replaced unless the previous owner took it somewhere else, dealer said clutch felt fine
this is my main concern here, is there any way to know what type of life i have left out of this thing? and whats the most mileage seen out of a sportshift?
thanks guys!! might be picking this baby up over the weekend..sorry for short notice here

Old 05-10-2013, 09:40 AM
fbiguy is on a distinguished road
From my time here, it seems the average is 15K miles out of a clutch. Even if it's been treated well and it's the second clutch, you are probably not going to get much life from it. I think the wise choice would be to have an Aston mechanic check it before dropping your hard earned cash. If nothing else it's a potential $6K bargaining chip if you are set on getting that car.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out!

Old 05-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
IMO, if you wanted a stick, then keep looking and get a stick. These cars aren't cheap -- why spend the money and not have what you want?

Old 05-10-2013, 11:33 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
You could negotiate the price of a new, recently introduced, stronger clutch during the haggling phase IF everything else is desirable to you. If you really want 3 pedals wait. Don't let a "good deal" persuade you, there are other good deals

Old 05-10-2013, 11:46 AM
I mean the only reason I wanted a stick was I heard it was more reliable w the clutch issues other than that I'm good w the sportshift..color wise and everything else about this car I'm set on..if I had to factor in a clutch what do u guys think this car is worth? Has the typical rash on the quarters and minor chips in the front..when the local am dealer drove it they said clutch felt fine so I'm kind of in a dilemma.. Thanks again guys

Old 05-10-2013, 11:52 AM
kaj
kaj is on a distinguished road
Tough decision. I spent a long time looking for a manual, but was certainly tempted to look at a Sportshift as there were so many more available. In the end a great deal on a new manual just fell into my lap. If you've been looking for a while and are happy with the feel of the Sportshift then maybe that's the one for you!

Old 05-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MaziKidNy
I mean the only reason I wanted a stick was I heard it was more reliable w the clutch issues other than that I'm good w the sportshift..color wise and everything else about this car I'm set on..if I had to factor in a clutch what do u guys think this car is worth? Has the typical rash on the quarters and minor chips in the front..when the local am dealer drove it they said clutch felt fine so I'm kind of in a dilemma.. Thanks again guys
Need more detail -- color in/out, history, options, etc.

If you're good with a clutch, you'll get more clutch life out of a manual 'box car. If that's your only issue with this car, and everything else is good, then it may be the way to go.

Where is the car?

Old 05-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Clean carfax one owner car..it's a dark blue w saddle..premium sound heated seats has some good options I guess

Old 05-10-2013, 04:10 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
I have a 2007 with SS and ~14,500 miles. My clutch has not slipped and is original. Very crisp shifting, etc. and I would guess it has plenty of life. I do however have the RSC TCU upgrade (do a forum search for my review) and I think it transformed the SS and prolongs the life considerably.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:46 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Here's a Monaco Blue '07 6 speed manual with 11k miles for comparison, but with a complimentary combination of interior colors...wrong side of the country for you, though
Don't know what your budget is, but this one may tempt...

http://www dot losgatosluxcars.com/2007-Aston-Martin-V8-Vantage-COUPE-San-Jose-CA/vd/14210296

BTW: I'm at 26k on my original clutch with no apparent problems, including track days...but I grew up driving a manual umpteen years ago!

Last edited by DonL; 05-10-2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 05-10-2013, 06:50 PM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by MaziKidNy
Clean carfax one owner car..it's a dark blue w saddle..premium sound heated seats has some good options I guess
Premium sound is really good, IMO, rivals some of the best I have heard in much newer lux cars. Blue and saddle is nice. I live in the NE and the heated seats are great. Does it have power fold mirrors? Blue tooth? It works well with iPhone. Hope this helps

Old 05-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
To put it bluntly, clutch is going to go and it will cost you about $5500. However, if you like the car and the price of the car is good (accounting for the clutch cost), then don't let it stop you. Remember to check brake and tire wear too since those aren't that cheap either.

The other thing to check is the stereo. Anything that goes wrong usually means replacing the whole thing. A common failure is the AM radio, but since most people don't listen too AM much, its an easy thing to miss.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Bluetooth I'm pretty sure it has and not sure about the folding mirrors... car does need rear pads as I saw my self.. I might have to take a shot w it just hope I'm not getting into a headache..wish there was a way to actually know how much clutch life is left that's the only thing holding me back at this point..what would u guys pay for a car like this

Old 05-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
To put it bluntly, clutch is going to go and it will cost you about $5500. However, if you like the car and the price of the car is good (accounting for the clutch cost), then don't let it stop you. Remember to check brake and tire wear too since those aren't that cheap either.

The other thing to check is the stereo. Anything that goes wrong usually means replacing the whole thing. A common failure is the AM radio, but since most people don't listen too AM much, its an easy thing to miss.
Yes, the clutch will go at some point, but no one knows when. Jay, you've been unlucky with clutches in your car, and you're certainly not alone, but many people have seen long clutch life -- many multiples of the miles you experienced. The car being discussed here may see another 30K miles or more from its clutch. Or it could be shot tomorrow.

Good point about the AM radio -- it's the only thing that has failed on my car.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Dark blue with saddle sounds very nice. Is the car being sold by a dealer or is it a private sale? Was it AM Long Island that did the PPI? They're my dealer and I've had great service from them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2007 Vantage V8 Sportshift should I?