Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Fuell sensing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 07:43 PM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
Fuell sensing

Have not been able to determine by what means my car is able to tell the difference in octane as I believe the car has no knock sensors. My car is 4.3 with power upgrade. Also, any recommendations on fuel ? My car seems to definitely have less power with Sunoco. I have yet to try ethanol free gas. Any info, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-15-2013, 08:52 PM
AstroAston is on a distinguished road
I think the earlier v12's didn't have knock sensors but the 4.3 and 4.7's both do..

Old 06-16-2013, 04:14 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the info!

Old 06-17-2013, 08:13 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
i've been dealing with this a lot lately, so here goes:

93 octane in GA was great, no issues at all. 93 octane up here barely cuts it. much of the problem from what i've seen/heard/experienced/been told/etc is that stations up here put WAY too much ethanol in the fuel, many as much as 15% (as opposed to the 10% they say). this causes our cars to have a lot of problems.

i'm glad you mentioned Sunoco. STOP USING IT. my car barely runs on that crap. it's the worst gasoline i've used of all the major brands. so far Shell and BP are okay, surprisingly 76 Stations are pretty good, but Sunoco is absolutely horrible!!!

in PA, you can find pretty good gas. Rutters (i think that's what it's called) is really good from what i've been told and from what i've experienced using it myself.

if you can find ethanol-free gas, use it!

different stations will have different quality. some experimenting is probably necessary to find the ones your car respond best to. i'd start with Rutters, and any ethanol-free 93 you can find.

Last edited by telum01; 06-17-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:04 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Here's my understanding, but as usual comments would be appreciated. Ethanol has much higher Octane (knock resistance) than gasoline. However, with that said, Ethanol has a much, much lower Energy content than gasoline. So gasoline producers can get higher Octane by adding Ethanol, rather than refining to get higher Octane, but the more Ethanol they add the worse your MPG will be.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:17 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
ethanol has a very long list of negatives. i absolutely hate the stuff and i'll spare my ranting, save this: the benefits? it isn't a fossil fuel, and it's sourced domestically. it damages the fuel system, produces less energy than gasoline, causes running problems for cars not designed for it, creates more heat, puts more strain on the car's cooling system... plus all the indirect aspects of using a food crop for fuel (increased food prices, lower crop rotation, etc).

Old 06-17-2013, 12:21 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Is ethanol free gas even available anywhere? There was a website that had a list of stations that sold ethanol free gas but, the few that I checked in my area were listed incorrectly. Said the were ethanol free but had ethanol....

Old 06-17-2013, 01:03 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
I can still get 94 octane with 0% ethanol at Chevron stations near me. Costs a small fortune, and my car can't really use the octane, but zero ethanol sways it for me. But just across the border in Washington state, 92 octane with 10% ethanol is the best that Chevron offers.