Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Tire Lettering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 09:59 PM
Fubar has a spectacular aura aboutFubar has a spectacular aura about
Tire Lettering

I'm not sure if it is old school or ghetto but I like it. I have been wanting to do this on my GT for while but it's a has turned into a long term project... so the Vantage gets to be the guinea pig. I am waiting for the rear set to get back from balancing, I'll post a full car pic tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tires2.jpg
Views:	989
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	254009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tires1.jpg
Views:	3640
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	254010  
Old 06-21-2013, 06:01 AM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
I had white letter tires on my very first car, a 1968 Impala SS. Back in the day, that was the ONLY way to go. Not sure about today especially on an AM unless of course its an all out race car. I liked the Pirelli P-zero rosso tire with the Pirelli in red, the lettering was much smaller. Where did you get the idea to do this? How are you doing it?

Old 06-21-2013, 06:21 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
On a '60s muscle car, absolutely. On a modern Aston, no, no, no!

Old 06-21-2013, 06:38 AM
Yeah, I agree its a retro look (kinda like a racing stripe) but sometimes old school and new school can be magic together.

Case in point, another street going euro GT:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	5128
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	254031  
Old 06-21-2013, 06:43 AM
I have done painted lettering on my GT but it would never stay on above 80mph. The paint just isn't designed for that kind of force. The letters I am using on the Aston are cut rubber pieces that are used with a rubber sealant ( industrial superglue) to chemically bind them to the tire... in theory. I'll let you know if it works.

The GT painted letters looked great but it is more of and old school muscle car than a modern GT.

Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2013, 06:48 AM
Oh, uh tredwearletters.com is the place I bought them from. Easy guys to work with, they can make letters for any tire.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:18 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Fubar
Yeah, I agree its a retro look (kinda like a racing stripe) but sometimes old school and new school can be magic together.
Had a feeling you might bring up racing stripes. IMO it's a totally different thing. Stripes are put on new exotics (Balboni, Scuderia, etc.) but raised white letter tires are just not. I mean, you wouldn't put a blower sticking through the hood on an Aston, right? IMO it's not a matter of "old school" or not. They just don't belong on a modern exotic. The GT gets a pass IMO b/c it's a revamped version of the '60s car. That is retro.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:32 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
i think the problem with it on your AM is that the car's design is far too clean. there's nothing to balance the lettering. for comparison, look at the Ford GT - lots happening with that car. the busy look of the car balances out the brashness of white lettering on black tires.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:47 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Heh. It's your car - your money - do what makes ya happy. Who knows, you might set a new retro-style trend in motion. Just don't Armour All the tread <G>

Old 06-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by drcollie
Just don't Armour All the tread <G>
Unless we're talking about the rears, it's time to replace them, and you want to have a little fun with oversteer.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:21 AM
jmargolese is infamous around these partsjmargolese is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by drcollie
Heh. It's your car - your money - do what makes ya happy. Who knows, you might set a new retro-style trend in motion. Just don't Armour All the tread <G>
Agreed. To each their own. Best part is that if you don't like it after a while, take them off or buy new tires, whichever comes first. ;-)

Fubar, we still need to hook up locally. I work close to Hard 8, need a lunch meet up sometime soon. I will get my v8v back from Carson with the new two-piece rotors, very excited...

Old 06-21-2013, 11:21 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Fubar

Case in point, another street going euro GT:

Wait a minute: Everyone seems to have just blown right past this.
What is that? I'm not a prancing horse guy, but I generally know what's what, and that's a "what" that I've not seen.

Whatever it is, I like it, mostly...except for the overdone pontiac looking parts.

Oh, on topic, yeah I'd need to see it first. Probably look good on a matte wrapped, blacked out, slammed Vantage.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:49 AM
yvr
yvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond repute
Ferrari 612 GTO Concept. Not a real car.

Reminds me of the One-77. Sort of.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:25 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
I think it looks very good on the Ford GT.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 06-21-2013, 11:28 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I like the white lettering, but don't know if I would be brave enough to put it on my car.

BTW: I wonder if the lettering on the Ferrari tires was photoshopped in. I have never seen tire lettering reversed like that. If you compare it to the picture of the GT you will see what I mean.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Lettering