Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Used Aston Martin Vantage (2006 or 2007) or NEW 2014 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:33 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jateshk
I am in the market for a Vantage. Such a beautiful car. My budget is only around 55k but i do have many options.

The new Vette is coming out and its look pretty darn nice. Aston is still in another class.

What do you guys think?

Stick with the bueaiful V8 Vantage or go for a new Vette?
If you are asking this you probably haven't accounted for the maintenance cost on an Aston. As others mentioned, Aston's aren't cheap to own. It's a 100k+ car and service, maintenance, etc is equally expensive. If this is a concern, buy the vette and have peace of mind knowing a part isn't going to cost thousands.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:42 AM
fbiguy is on a distinguished road
I went from an 06 C6 with the Z51 option to a 09 Vantage. I now have an 11 Vantage S, which is much closer to the Z51 as far as stiffness in the suspension. The Vantage rides better, steers better and is more comfortable overall. It's not as fast, doesn't have nearly as much cargo space and has just as many squeaks and rattles as the Vette did. That being said, I still have it and have resisted going back despite the temptation to grab one of the remaining C6 ZR1's.

Like others have said, prioritize, then post up the top 5 factors. If cost is in the list, then go with the Vette. You will find that Vantages don't have any major problems, but maintenance is higher (think $80 vs. $800) for each service interval. I can't quote what a clutch replacement for the Vette is going to be, although they have a similar drivetrain setup, I suspect it will be much less. My Vette had a great automatic, which does away with that cost.

It will be hard to do, but drive both. The difference between my C6 and the Vantage was night and day and not easy to describe, but very easy to detect. Then the hard part comes. You will probably need to decide to go with your head, or with your heart.

Good Luck and let us know what you end up with!

Old 08-02-2013, 08:43 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
The Vantage ranks as my favorite sports car ever. Yes, I owned a Vette (C5) and if you haven't owned one then you should do the Vette first. Its going to be a rare car initially... you could always buy it then trade it a year later for the Vantage. The new Vette will be world class in many ways... but as they say it's still a Vette!

Old 08-02-2013, 03:12 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
I have an order for a 2014 Vette with Z51 for a Sept delivery and the MSRP is $73k. Not sure one can be had for only $55k. If so, it will be a base car with no options. I thought they start at $58k. Anyways, I have had a number of Corvette's and think they are BY FAR the most bang for the buck. Easy and cheap to maintain and always a blast to drive. Who cares what others think and how many are on the road?? I always had a smile ear to ear when I pressed the accelerator. Can't wait for my new one to come in.

BTW, I plan to keep the V8V. Totally different cars.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by karlfranz
One more thing. All new Vettes will have about a $10K dealer markup for about the first year. Good luck trying to buy one at anywhere near MSRP.
There's enough dealers selling at MSRP that its not a problem. I got a first year C5 and C6, both at MSRP.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mark8V8
The new Corvette has the latest technology and great performance. The AM is a hand built classic but really low-tech compared to the market. One factor is dealer support. How good is your local Chevy dealer compared the dealer support from AM. Be sure to consider this. As a past Corvette owner, the dealer support and poorly trained mechanics was a deciding factor for me.

Mark
Not for nothing, but the support I got from my local Chevy dealer was an order of magnitude better than that I've gotten from Aston Martin. The biggest reason I'm seriously considering other cars is the service.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:53 AM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by telum01
The new Vette looks fantastic. I love what Chevy's been doing with their sports cars lately (look at the current Camaro. Gorgeous.)

That said, the Corvette is the best bang-for-your-buck sports car around and has been for years. Vantages are quite the opposite. They aren't the fastest, most powerful, most efficient, etc etc etc, but they're wonderful to drive and are gorgeous.

So despite their similarities - front-mid V8, RWD, 2-seater - you're looking at two very different types of cars and it really boils down to your preferences. If anything, drive them both and see which one you keep going back to.
Well said.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:58 AM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by alevine
I have an order for a 2014 Vette with Z51 for a Sept delivery and the MSRP is $73k. Not sure one can be had for only $55k. If so, it will be a base car with no options. I thought they start at $58k. Anyways, I have had a number of Corvette's and think they are BY FAR the most bang for the buck. Easy and cheap to maintain and always a blast to drive. Who cares what others think and how many are on the road?? I always had a smile ear to ear when I pressed the accelerator. Can't wait for my new one to come in.

BTW, I plan to keep the V8V. Totally different cars.
Base price is just under $52k. But with the right options, you'll need to be in the $65k area minimum, IMHO.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:44 PM
lawsut is on a distinguished road
2 years ago I had to decide the exact same thing. Buying the most beautiful curvaceous car that I been wanting for over 6 years, or for the same money a vette. I went for a used 07 AMV8, and use the forum a lot to get things working properly, the vette would have been easier because the dealer is 2 miles away from my home and the warranty would still be available. But every time I drive my AM and see the vettes around, I know I made the right decision.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:47 AM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
im leaning twords a Vantage. Was pretty close to putting a deposit on a 2014 vette but decided to keep searching for the right AM.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:44 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
There's enough dealers selling at MSRP that its not a problem. I got a first year C5 and C6, both at MSRP.
Hate to say "I told you so". Read here.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Hate to say "I told you so". Read here.
Just because some dealers are doing that, doesn't mean all, or even most are. Right now I could order one from at least 3 places that I know of, off the top of my head, at MSRP.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:41 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
If then else...

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Just because some dealers are doing that, doesn't mean all, or even most are. Right now I could order one from at least 3 places that I know of, off the top of my head, at MSRP.
Palm Beach Audi marked up the first R8 by +$60k. Yes sixty grand. I went to see... and laughed. 4mo later there was a used one on the same lot below MSRP.

'Most' major dealers will probably tack on a markup for the first few C7s. You can get around that by waiting or buying out of state.

I looked hard at the same modern chevy vs classic exotic equation over the last year.

Real answer to your question...

IF OWNER > 40YRS OLD THEN ASTON, ELSE C7.

Repeat command line every few years. Enjoy the Aston when you get it.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:21 AM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
right now im leaning towards a vantage. Even thought the tech in the c7 will be newer....the shape of the vantage just seems better.

besides i am tried of driving what everyone else drives...time to be different.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:20 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RolexDaytona1

IF OWNER > 40YRS OLD THEN ASTON, ELSE C7.

Repeat command line every few years. Enjoy the Aston when you get it.
You forgot the 2nd half of the equation IF OWNER > 50YRS OLD THEN C7

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Used Aston Martin Vantage (2006 or 2007) or NEW 2014 Corvette?