Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Used Aston Martin Vantage (2006 or 2007) or NEW 2014 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 09:41 AM
jmargolese will become famous soon enoughjmargolese will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
The Aston is like a slim elegant woman next to the big booty and large breasted Vette.
Good pics and sets the discussion up just right. To me the Aston puts everything on the outside and the Vette has all the great stuff in the tech and engine. Don't get me wrong, I think the Vette has something, I have seen a few in my neighborhood, but seeing them both side by side, the Vette has too many sharp angles compared to the Vantage. I don't really think these cars are comparable. In fact, if you can afford one, then buy both. Drive the Vette as a DD and the Aston for the occasion, pomp and circumstance. It's only money and we need to do our part to help the economy...

Old 10-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jmargolese
Good pics and sets the discussion up just right. To me the Aston puts everything on the outside and the Vette has all the great stuff in the tech and engine. Don't get me wrong, I think the Vette has something, I have seen a few in my neighborhood, but seeing them both side by side, the Vette has too many sharp angles compared to the Vantage. I don't really think these cars are comparable. In fact, if you can afford one, then buy both. Drive the Vette as a DD and the Aston for the occasion, pomp and circumstance. It's only money and we need to do our part to help the economy...
Yup..both. That was my ideal solution. If I had another garage I would probably do that.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:23 AM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Wow. Feeling a bit judgmental today?
I suppose that may have been a little harsh.........I have a solid lifter 64 Stingray so I have firm opinions about vettes. New Corvettes has become unobtanium for most of the young guys they were originally targeted for.....I read recently where the average age of a new vette buyer was 61. I do admire the technology (but would never want such on any car I own) but the darth vader looks I could never accept........

Old 10-12-2013, 10:12 AM
slayer of souls is on a distinguished road
Why isnt the Nissan GTR or Jaguar XKR in this decision, all around the similar price?

Old 10-13-2013, 08:18 AM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Price is not a good indicator of the similarities between cars.

The Nissan GTR is not even close to the same kind of car as a Vantage. The experience of one is not at all like the other. One is very large, brutish and digital, the other is a small (.25" longer than a Cayman) two seater, elegant and analogue.

The Vantage is not about stop light bragging rights, nor is it about the track. It's about the noises, the feel of real materials, the hydraulic steering, the amazing brake feel. It's a car that is almost as much fun to wash as it is to drive.

The Vette is a light rear wheel drive car that has been designed with performance in mind. It's tail happy, it's a traditional take on performance. The GTR on the other hand is heavy, it might be fast, but it won't feel like a Vette through tight corners. It makes speed in a more brutish computer aided fashion. It is not an analogue car. Perfect car for some, but not similar to an Aston.

The XKR is a beautiful car, but it's a bigger, heavy GT in the most traditional sense. There may be some overlap with the most plush version of a Vantage, but really it's not the same kind of car. It's also the least outright performance oriented car in this group.

The 911 is likely the most direct competition, not surprising since the Vantage was designed as Astons version of the 911. It's almost full circle now as the latest variants of the 991 are far more GT based and the newest V12 Vantage S is a more hardcore car than Porsche currently sells (according to a car reviewing friend of mine who drove it in Palm Springs recently)

My two cents.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:34 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by black penguin
Price is not a good indicator of the similarities between cars.

The Nissan GTR is not even close to the same kind of car as a Vantage. The experience of one is not at all like the other. One is very large, brutish and digital, the other is a small (.25" longer than a Cayman) two seater, elegant and analogue.

The Vantage is not about stop light bragging rights, nor is it about the track. It's about the noises, the feel of real materials, the hydraulic steering, the amazing brake feel. It's a car that is almost as much fun to wash as it is to drive.

The Vette is a light rear wheel drive car that has been designed with performance in mind. It's tail happy, it's a traditional take on performance. The GTR on the other hand is heavy, it might be fast, but it won't feel like a Vette through tight corners. It makes speed in a more brutish computer aided fashion. It is not an analogue car. Perfect car for some, but not similar to an Aston.

The XKR is a beautiful car, but it's a bigger, heavy GT in the most traditional sense. There may be some overlap with the most plush version of a Vantage, but really it's not the same kind of car. It's also the least outright performance oriented car in this group.

The 911 is likely the most direct competition, not surprising since the Vantage was designed as Astons version of the 911. It's almost full circle now as the latest variants of the 991 are far more GT based and the newest V12 Vantage S is a more hardcore car than Porsche currently sells (according to a car reviewing friend of mine who drove it in Palm Springs recently)

My two cents.
I'd add Maserati to the direct competition list. They tick all the same boxes as Aston but IMO Aston looks much better

Old 10-13-2013, 04:52 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
What model masserati? They don't really make a car as compact as the Vantage? I found they were more like an Italian S5.

But with more character and style.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:02 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Old 10-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
just sat in a vette

I have a new vette on order and my number came up to spec it, but since I've bought an 09 Vantage. The Vette starts at 51,995.00 and without any options would make a decent car. The active exhaust is a must, so still under $54,000. I drive the Vantage to the dealer and after sitting in the Aston, went and got an immediate impression of the Vette. First I had to contort my 61 year old left leg much more than the Aston to get in, but once seated it was very comfortable, but for whatever reason felt more claustrophobic which could have been that my interior in the Aston is a light tan, and the Vette had a black leather (it was fully optioned) interior. It looked very plastic - nice but not at all luxurious. The typical 'bat man' like fenders stuck up and were prominent in view making it seem like an enormous car vs. the Aston that does not show much of the front when sitting in it.

In the end it confirmed that I made the better choice with the Aston.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:02 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
The upgraded interior looks a lot better than the base. Here's a couple of pics:
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps4c730697.jpg
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...psf179e58a.jpg

Old 10-21-2013, 09:48 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
The upgraded interior looks a lot better than the base. Here's a couple of pics:
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps4c730697.jpg
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...psf179e58a.jpg
Limerock Green, pretty color. Make mine with Kalahari interior please!

Old 07-22-2014, 03:14 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
Its funny about a year ago I was contemplating between the aston and the corvette. I even put a deposit on the vette but decided not to go with it. I ended up spending a lot more than my original budget but I am very glad i did! Love the Aston and ended with with a roadster about 6 months ago.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:40 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
I'll probably end up with a new vette in three/four years when I retire, for ease and relatively low cost of maint. I'm very impressed by the new vette, interior is nicely done. It's good value for money. BUT it most def. is not on the level of an AM Vantage!

Chris

Old 07-22-2014, 07:51 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by zvez
I'll probably end up with a new vette in three/four years when I retire, for ease and relatively low cost of maint. I'm very impressed by the new vette, interior is nicely done. It's good value for money. BUT it most def. is not on the level of an AM Vantage!

Chris
The new corvette is a phenomenal vehicle and Chevrolet knows it! Amazing bargain and probably the reason they just upped the MSRP on them.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:32 AM
N91K is on a distinguished road
Its always nice to see where you were initially and where you've become or what you decided to get, I'm glad you love your choice!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Used Aston Martin Vantage (2006 or 2007) or NEW 2014 Corvette?