Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V12V vs DBS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 09:54 PM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
V12V vs DBS

I am considering the DBS or V12 vantage. I think both are sexy cars but have not driven them yet. The Vantage has the LED day-time running lights which I love. I don't know why the DBS does not have them. The DBS has the front styling and cues that looks aggressive.

I have heard that the V12 Vantage handles better, and is lighter on the turns. The DBS is a cruiser. Does it not handle well on turns or does it feel heavy? I drove a Maserati Gran Turismo Coupe and did not like how it handled like a boat. Would appreciate feedback for those who have driven both and why you shose what you chose.

MPG is the same for both in real world driving?

Old 09-05-2013, 10:30 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
FYI: The Vantage does not have LED daytime running lights.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:22 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Ultimately, you'll need to drive them both and draw your own conclusions. The DBS is a larger car and is a bit heavier, but they are still pretty similar in terms of size, weight, and power.

Clarkson did a review a while back that suggests that the V12V is more of a sports car than the DBS due primarily to the shorter wheelbase and lighter weight (beginning at the 5:00 minute mark). I haven't driven both so I really can't say. What I can say is I love the V12V.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:31 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
The Vantage is a bit more raw sports car, the DBS a bit more luxurious in the ride. Not huge degrees of separation and of course the Vantage is a smaller vehicle as well. Drive them both, they can be usually found at most dealerships across the country.

Fuel mileage is dismal in both cars, but that's the least costly thing you will ever put into any Aston Martin. Consider fuel to be part of your 'entertainment budget' rather than your "commuting to work" budget.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:53 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Good luck trying to find a manual DBS for an apples/apples comparison with a V12V. You'll be very hard pressed to find a manual DBS on the same lot as a V12V, so a comparison will have to be by memory.

The difference between the two is minimal from a performance POV. However, the DBS looks better, was the flagship Aston, rides better, and has better interior appointments (but not by a whole lot).

Unfortunately, the visual differentiation between the V12V and a V8 Vantage is minimal, whereas the difference between a DB9 and DBS is much more obvious. If looks matter to you, then the DBS is the ONLY choice.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
. . . the DBS looks better . . . If looks matter to you, then the DBS is the ONLY choice.
I'm gonna submit that the looks of the cars are a bit subjective. IMO, the shorter, more muscular V12V is the better looking car. But, eye of the beholder and all that . . .

Old 09-06-2013, 08:42 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
If you end up driving a TouchTronic DBS, use the paddles 100%. Putting it in "D" will ruin it for you.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:03 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
My DBS was a manual (on consignment at CNC Motors) and it drives like a GT. if you thought the Mas GT handled like a boat well then, the DBS will not impress you in the handling department.

My buddy previously had a V12V and he let me drive it. You could light the tires up quicker and it was more nimble on turns - a good canyon carver.
Both cars are, however, heavy when compared to a Ferrari or a Lotus.

Both are gorgeous to look at. But the DBS is a work of art.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:19 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by plastique999
But the DBS is a work of art.
Exactly.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:56 AM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by plastique999
My DBS was a manual (on consignment at CNC Motors) and it drives like a GT. if you thought the Mas GT handled like a boat well then, the DBS will not impress you in the handling department.

My buddy previously had a V12V and he let me drive it. You could light the tires up quicker and it was more nimble on turns - a good canyon carver.
Both cars are, however, heavy when compared to a Ferrari or a Lotus.

Both are gorgeous to look at. But the DBS is a work of art.
The Mas GT was a bad handling car. When I took it hard on turns, it didn't hug the road. It also felt cheap on the interior.

I'm assuming the DBS is better handling than that?

Old 09-06-2013, 11:58 AM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by lovingit
The Mas GT was a bad handling car. When I took it hard on turns, it didn't hug the road. It also felt cheap on the interior.

I would think so because the DBS is essentially a refined DB9 and I know my 9'er is a sweetheart so how could it not be?.........I tried real hard to convince myself to pop for a DBS but I just couldn't pull the trigger because of the ride difference. I like mine too much to give it up..........

Old 09-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by lovingit

I assume so. From what I've heard, the GT really is a touring car. It's a big car and designed for cruising.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:58 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
I liked the DBS when I drove it for an afternoon. I also drove a V12V, Virage and V8VS for about 45-60 minutes each before buying the V8VS. I'll probably get flamed here but I personally liked the V8VS more than the V12V. It felt better balanced and more sporty. The V12V just felt heavy and the suspension was too stiff for the line. If I were to buy a V12 Aston, I'd buy the DBS. The DBS was and is the best GT I've driven, especially because of the 6 speed! The only reason I don't own one is because I wanted to go back to visceral for my last exotic before the baby is born.

Caveat: I've never owned a DBS or V12V

Old 09-06-2013, 06:37 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
I have had both V8 and V12 Vantages and I had ordered a DBS which I passed on in lieu of the V12V. They are all very different cars. The V12V is the rarest and most unique car. The DBS is a fabulous car and doesn't feel big or heavy. Every Aston Martin is stunning from any angle. The arguments over looks is ridiculous. It does come down to preference. I would not by any AM with the touchtronic. The sports shift in the V8V is not the best there is but miles from the auto in the DBS. The V12V is a beast. It is a drivers car and demands everything from you. If you want to cruise, get a bolt of speed and feel huge torque now and then, get the DBS. The V8V is sporty, well balanced and fun all of the time. It isn't scary in any way. All of them have fantastic finish and materials. They will all get looks and and smiles. Any discussion of fuel consumption is also silly. My McLaren can get 27 MPG. I will never achieve that with the way that I choose to drive it. If you are worried about fuel get a Prius.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:59 PM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
I have driven both in MT form. The DBS FEELS like a GT, which it most certainly is. The V12V is not as nimble as the V8V, but it is much more of a sports car. I prefer the V12V, which is one reason that I bought one. Plus, the price differential was substantial.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V12V vs DBS