Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Ride Quality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 08:53 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
Ride Quality

Presently have stock rotors (heavy). Have read several threads about lighter rotors and would like input from anyone who switched on their v8v. I am familiar with the advantages lowering unsprung weight. Particularly interested in if the ride quality over secondary roads is improved as I live in the country with many wonderful twisty unevenly paved roads. Also, I am quite pleased with the present breaking and feel no need for more stopping power. Is it possible to change just rotors and not calipers? Any help will be most appreciated. BTW just replaced rear pads with porterfields and the dogs in my neighborhood are howling from the high pitched whistle that is not abating with break in. Porterfield is sending me a new set gratis exemplifying their top rate customer service.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by oo7
Presently have stock rotors (heavy). Have read several threads about lighter rotors and would like input from anyone who switched on their v8v. I am familiar with the advantages lowering unsprung weight. Particularly interested in if the ride quality over secondary roads is improved as I live in the country with many wonderful twisty unevenly paved roads. Also, I am quite pleased with the present breaking and feel no need for more stopping power. Is it possible to change just rotors and not calipers? Any help will be most appreciated. BTW just replaced rear pads with porterfields and the dogs in my neighborhood are howling from the high pitched whistle that is not abating with break in. Porterfield is sending me a new set gratis exemplifying their top rate customer service.

Porterfield are a top notch company. I have sold a lot of their R4-S compound pads and they have always been great to deal with.

Yes, it is possible to change just rotors, and use the stock calipers. I developed a product earlier this year with Wilwood Engineering which allows you to do exactly that. http://www.velocityap.com/ProductDet...PIECE-BRAKE-RO

There are quite a few 6speeders who have these on their cars, hopefully they will chime in with some firsthand information.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 09-18-2013, 10:37 PM
jmargolese will become famous soon enoughjmargolese will become famous soon enough
I have changed out the stock rotors for the velocity two piece and am happy. The ride is a little better on normal roads and the car feels a little more nimble. I will be on the track with it next month so will reserve full judgement until then, but I am happy. I replaced my originals as I did a track day that grooved my rears badly due to the traction control going off too much.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:18 PM
mikes300 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jmargolese
I have changed out the stock rotors for the velocity two piece and am happy. The ride is a little better on normal roads and the car feels a little more nimble. I will be on the track with it next month so will reserve full judgement until then, but I am happy. I replaced my originals as I did a track day that grooved my rears badly due to the traction control going off too much.
Ditto, I installed Stuart's(wilwood) lighter rotors on my DB9, and surprisingly, I can tell the ride is definatly better!

Old 09-20-2013, 08:04 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikes300
Ditto, I installed Stuart's(wilwood) lighter rotors on my DB9, and surprisingly, I can tell the ride is definatly better!
Great to hear!

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com