Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Velocity Power Pack Install on a 2011 V8 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 06:17 AM
Fubar has a spectacular aura aboutFubar has a spectacular aura about
I'm a bit embarrassed but I hadn't been to your website before before i made that post. I 'assumed' that this system did away with the factory valve setup. After reviewing your website it appears that you offer exactly what i was looking for in the first place. I will give you guys a call this week and about options and pricing.

On a side note, did you guys go out to PRI last week?

Last edited by Fubar; 12-16-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jaymoney
Yeah the whole thing is confusing. My whole reason for the inquiry is to find out which starting point brings you to the best outcome with the Velocity Power Pack. I know how easy it is to get off topic in a thread. I have been considering a used Vantage V8 roadster. I would like a 6 speed and send it through the process of the full tune. It would be interesting to see if a 4.7S finishes close to 500HP. I wonder if there is something in the tune or the mapping that brings about the extra acceleration. Could similar performance be attained with a manual? I often wonder if there is a huge variation from car to car that leads to the differences in the times. These aren't being assembled in Germany, at least not yet.
This is at least a related topic

In the magazine road tests, the differences I've seen in the Vantage test results is no greater than the variations that Porsche test results show, so I don't think there's a consistency-of-quality issue. So many variables come into play, e.g., weather (temp and humidity), altitude, miles on the engine, test surface, etc. I seriously question the figures on the websites that seek to summarize the results -- there are so many opportunities for error -- and I give far more credence to the magazines that have been around for a long time and run the tests themselves. These magazine tests (and I've read every one written in English that I can find) show the V8S being just slightly quicker than the non-S -- about 1 mph through the 1/4 mile. That makes sense given just a 10 hp gain, which wouldn't show any improvement IMO w/o the slightly reduced weight and more closely spaced gear ratios.

There are no differences in the magazine tests b/w the manual and the 6-spd SS systems, but the 7-spd should have a slight advantage. I'd be stunned if the Power Pack will get an S to 500hp. You said "close to," so I guess it depends on your definition of close Look at what Bamford Rose has to do to get 500hp.

Still wondering whether the earlier OEM exhaust is any "better" than the later one...

Old 12-16-2013, 09:10 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fubar
I'm a bit embarrassed but I hadn't been to your website before before i made that post. I 'assumed' that this system did away with the factory valve setup. After reviewing your website it appears that you offer exactly what i was looking for in the first place. I will give you guys a call this week and about options and pricing.

On a side note, did you guys go out to PRI last week?
No worries, we're back to being the new kid on the block. Feels like 2007 all over again! I'm sure we can figure out something that works for you.

PRI, no we weren't there. Did have some stand space at SEMA though.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 12-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaymoney
Yeah the whole thing is confusing. My whole reason for the inquiry is to find out which starting point brings you to the best outcome with the Velocity Power Pack. I know how easy it is to get off topic in a thread. I have been considering a used Vantage V8 roadster. I would like a 6 speed and send it through the process of the full tune. It would be interesting to see if a 4.7S finishes close to 500HP. I wonder if there is something in the tune or the mapping that brings about the extra acceleration. Could similar performance be attained with a manual? I often wonder if there is a huge variation from car to car that leads to the differences in the times. These aren't being assembled in Germany, at least not yet.
Don't ever see them being assembled in Germany..Too much money in the Gaydon factory to up and lift..I mean they up and lifted the Rapide from Germany to now being built in Gaydon...Engine's have been in Cologne and will most prob be changed to a Benz plant..doubt a bespoke benz will be built under a ford room..haha

As for the "comparing" a V8VS to V8V acceleration 0-60 is really pointless..V8VS 7-speed has a final drive of 4.182:1 and the V8V 6-speed has 3.909:1..even with the same power and same driver etc, the 4.182:1 will always win 0-60..

I've driven the full Velocity kit with tune..It is impressive but not near the seat-HP feel of a V12V taking off with traction klike some are hoping(hehe..if you can find traction that is), ..driving the V8V ASM Velocity fitted vehicle I had compared to the same alike model, year and options.. hands down Velocity upgrade is felt in your seat-HP and heard, if you had the cash, I would recommend it, just the headers are not a regular DIY install for the regular guy with hand tools unless your doing a complete winter project

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 12-16-2013, 02:50 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
[QUOTE=Speedraser;4003174]This is at least a related topic

There are no differences in the magazine tests b/w the manual and the 6-spd SS systems, but the 7-spd should have a slight advantage. I'd be stunned if the Power Pack will get an S to 500hp. You said "close to," so I guess it depends on your definition of close Look at what Bamford Rose has to do to get 500hp.

I'd settle for 480-490

Old 12-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by irish07
As for the "comparing" a V8VS to V8V acceleration 0-60 is really pointless..V8VS 7-speed has a final drive of 4.182:1 and the V8V 6-speed has 3.909:1..even with the same power and same driver etc, the 4.182:1 will always win 0-60..
Yes, it should. But the difference, even with an additional 10hp (not enough of an increase to make much difference), should be very slight, which is what the magazine tests reflect.

Jay,
480-490... You're easy to please

Old 12-16-2013, 07:27 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Speedraser

In the magazine road tests, the differences I've seen in the Vantage test results is no greater than the variations that Porsche test results show, so I don't think there's a consistency-of-quality issue. So many variables come into play, e.g., weather (temp and humidity), altitude, miles on the engine, test surface, etc. I seriously question the figures on the websites that seek to summarize the results -- there are so many opportunities for error -- and I give far more credence to the magazines that have been around for a long time and run the tests themselves. These magazine tests (and I've read every one written in English that I can find) show the V8S being just slightly quicker than the non-S -- about 1 mph through the 1/4 mile. That makes sense given just a 10 hp gain, which wouldn't show any improvement IMO w/o the slightly reduced weight and more closely spaced gear ratios.

Still wondering whether the earlier OEM exhaust is any "better" than the later one...
[QUOTE=jaymoney;4003496]

I'd settle for 480-490
Yes, it should. But the difference, even with an additional 10hp (not enough of an increase to make much difference), should be very slight, which is what the magazine tests reflect.

Jay,
480-490... You're easy to please
Not if you talk to my wife

Old 12-17-2013, 12:41 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
[QUOTE=jaymoney;4003496]

I'd settle for 480-490
With the right tune, I think 480 is achievable. Bear in mind the 'S' has some software changes that probably take a little of the gains away, but I'd have to agree with the sentiment of the thread in general. The 2009 cars look like a great platform to tune from right now, both because the value for money is there on the purchase, and because putting a little bit of the money saved between an 09 and a 13 into some breathing mods will give a noticeable boost.

BTW - I've not heard back from the 6speeder who expressed an interest in a 4.7L power pack at a discounted rate + Velocity pays for the dynos. If someone wants to step up I might have a cracking deal for you.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 12-17-2013, 10:12 AM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by irish07
Don't ever see them being assembled in Germany..Too much money in the Gaydon factory to up and lift..I mean they up and lifted the Rapide from Germany to now being built in Gaydon...Engine's have been in Cologne and will most prob be changed to a Benz plant..doubt a bespoke benz will be built under a ford room..haha

I've driven the full Velocity kit with tune..It is impressive but not near the seat-HP feel of a V12V taking off with traction klike some are hoping(hehe..if you can find traction that is), ..driving the V8V ASM Velocity fitted vehicle I had compared to the same alike model, year and options.. hands down Velocity upgrade is felt in your seat-HP and heard, if you had the cash, I would recommend it, just the headers are not a regular DIY install for the regular guy with hand tools unless your doing a complete winter project

gear ratios don't give power. you don't know until you research, whether the 3.9 or 4.1:1 final drive will be more effective in utilizing the power. if you end at the rev limiter at 60mph, that gear box will be best, regardless of if it is a 3.91 or 4.1. its all about area under the HP curve used.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:22 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Agreed, gearing alone doesn't mean anything... Especially if first gear ratio is longer in the 7spd then that negates any advantage.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:49 PM
action-ant is on a distinguished road
I'm scared to ask what the offer is. PM ME Stuart! Wait don't. Wait yes. Wait....

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP

BTW - I've not heard back from the 6speeder who expressed an interest in a 4.7L power pack at a discounted rate + Velocity pays for the dynos. If someone wants to step up I might have a cracking deal for you.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:23 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by XWCGT
gear ratios don't give power. you don't know until you research, whether the 3.9 or 4.1:1 final drive will be more effective in utilizing the power. if you end at the rev limiter at 60mph, that gear box will be best, regardless of if it is a 3.91 or 4.1. its all about area under the HP curve used.
Never said in my rambling that gears give power..I wouldn't of wrote unless I "researched"...

6-Speed:
1st 3.15:1
2nd 1.95:1
3rd 1.43:1
4th 1.15:1
5th 0.94:1
6th 0.76:1
Reverse 2.38:1

7-Speed:
1st 3.286:1
2nd 2.158:1
3rd 1.609:1
4th 1.269:1
5th 1.034:1
6th 0.848:1
7th 0.675:1
Reverse 3.286:1

If you took a 2009 V8V and ran it with a 6-speed ASM..then removed and fitted a 7-speed in place and ran the same tests..the 7-speed would net a faster time in the 1/4, better time in the 0-60..and faster final top end speed..hense why i stated in my original post.."You can't compare" ..even with the ratio's sligthly off for each gear..there not far off enough to go with your explanation..it's a street car on the same engine just different gearbox

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 11-26-2018, 05:03 PM
Basic Sponsor
Power packs on sale for Black Friday!!! Available until the end of the month at 25% off.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com