Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Velocity Power Pack Install on a 2011 V8 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Velocity Power Pack Install on a 2011 V8 Vantage

Some shots of an install recently completed at an Aston Martin main dealer, big thanks to the technician who helped out with the detail on the install. Several people have asked me about fitting our Power Pack: (http://www.velocityap.com/ProductDet...=AMV8PPExhaust) to the later model year cars, which have primary catalysts in the headers/manifolds. These photos show the full replacement of that system, as well as the exhaust.

If this car sees the same 12.9% increase as the 4.3L we dyno-tested in the UK, it should be making 474BHP, and will definitely have shed a good 50lbs in weight. Just 36BHP shy of the V12 Vantage, and now over 200lbs lighter.

Stay tuned for some sound clips. This customer has actually opted to change up for a SUPERSPORT exhaust! This beast is going to wake up the entire Eastern seaboard. Get ready!!!

Christmas Come Early:

The Velocity AP exhaust ready to Install:

Comparison to the OEM Boat Anchor:

LHS Manifolds:

In they go:

Snakes on an Aston:

One of the downsides - some of the header bolts are tough to access:

RHS Going In. Client installed some heat wrap on the first Primary next to the Alternator for added peace of mind:

O2 Sensor Harness Extensions in place, Professional job in securing them nicely out of the way:

Heat Shield in Tunnel Marked for Drilling:

With Velocity Headers and Catalysts installed - back in their original 2006-2009 location in the transmission tunnel.

VelocityAP exhaust is installed. Room to stow a Cygnet or two in under there now!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0417_zpsc09bc522.jpg
Views:	3068
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	307684   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0418_zps8f9a959b.jpg
Views:	2699
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	307685   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0422_zpsc7fe6897.jpg
Views:	2732
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	307686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Headersidebyside_zpsd972eeec.jpg
Views:	2705
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	307687   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0430_zpsb9f23414.jpg
Views:	3140
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	307688  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0431_zps0b85c58c.jpg
Views:	2651
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	307689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Headerbolts-closebuttheyfitview1_zps7fbc42bb.jpg
Views:	2655
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	307690   Click image for larger version

Name:	8-Headersidebyside-wrappedfisttubeandcoatedwithhightempsiliconetopreventheatingofAltcables1_zpsd.jpg
Views:	2818
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	307691   Click image for larger version

Name:	9-O2Srelocate-B1extensiontorearsidesectionofsump-use6mmdrillbittoenlargethrededholeandpushinsens.jpg
Views:	2699
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	307692   Click image for larger version

Name:	10-O2Srelocate-B1extensiontorearsidesectionofsump-use6mmdrillbittoenlargethrededholeandpushinsen.jpg
Views:	2678
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	307693  

Click image for larger version

Name:	11-HeatShieldtobecut-Upstreamsensorsjustcutoutcurvedareabesiderivet-downstreamleftcut95cmbelowri.jpg
Views:	2761
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	307694   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-DSC_0457_zps2f43c387.jpg
Views:	2741
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	307695   Click image for larger version

Name:	13-DSC_0458_zps3c262ad5.jpg
Views:	2798
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	307696   Click image for larger version

Name:	14-DSC_0423_zps95bb7216.jpg
Views:	2579
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	307697  
206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 12-03-2013, 08:50 PM
frankgtb is on a distinguished road
12.9% increase wow, never heard of performance exhaust making such an increase, especially in a performance car.... does look nice and tidy and light though

Old 12-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by frankgtb
12.9% increase wow, never heard of performance exhaust making such an increase, especially in a performance car.... does look nice and tidy and light though
It is unusual Frank. Most normally aspirated cars won't achieve those types of gains, they are more typical of forced induction engines, particularly turbocharged. The V8 Vantage happens to have a particularly compromised exhaust system. Bear in mind that we are anticipating these gains on this vehicle. Our own independent testing showed these results on the 4.3L as detailed here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...completed.html

It is also worth remembering that we're talking about replacing a poorly designed manifold, both primary & secondary (600 & 400 cpsi) catalysts on each bank, as well as ECU tuning and air filters. The exhaust itself (muffler/silencer) contributes very little, but the full package in combination does liberate a good chunk of power.

Fortunately for AM owners, these cars respond particularly well to some breathing mods, as compared to most other exotics.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 12-07-2013, 05:49 PM
-G-
-G- is on a distinguished road
Looking forward to the results.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:25 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Hopefully there will be a real dyno chart! can't wait to see! You using a dynojet or dyno dynamics?

Old 12-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Hmmmm...sounds interesting!!

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 12-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by irish07
Hmmmm...sounds interesting!!
It does. Looks like someone did a pretty good job on the install...

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 12-09-2013, 04:39 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Having quite a bit of dyno experience with this size and type of engine, i can credibly say, it wont give you 12%. stock V8vantage at 420hp , is probably 360rwph. the exhaust is pretty restrictive, at the low end and opens up at the high end. (higher hp range), so maybe you get 10hp for the exhaust, and about 10hp for the headers. If it was a stock iron manifold US car, i could see more for the headers, especially equal length as the beautiful aftermarket headers are. If you see 20hp for the exhaust system, that would be a good gain! 6-7% is what you likely willl see. you absolultey wont take a 360rwhp car and turn it into 410 at the rear wheels with exhaust only.

the 4.3 to the 4.8 was a 10% increase in displacement and the rwhp probably went up 40hp, as shown by the flywheel rating increase of 380 to 420.(i.e. 40hp), and rear wheel probably went up 330 to 360 for the stock V8 4.3/.4.8L (i.e. 30rwhp)

edit: I saw the other thread. probabaly discounting the gains only because i didnt realize there is a ECU tweek as well, that is good for about 10-15hp as well. So, if you saw 20 for the entire system another 15 for the tune, that would be believable. that would be a 35hp gain, which is believable. Especially for such a nice set up.

Lets see the rear wheel HP numbers before and after. dynojet, or anything else is fine. just show the correction factors. Dont convert to flywheel, as there is too many variables to do that and get a realistic number. 15% loss is very general, and is usually only a loss at the top range of RPM, and is less in the taller gears. (btw)

Last edited by XWCGT; 12-09-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Basic Sponsor
I respect your opinion, and always value constructive input on these threads. I was about to point out that it includes the ECU and air filters as well, but I see you noted that below.

In this case, this was a customer's car being worked on by a main dealer, and not within our direct remit. They haven't done a 'before' dyno so I don't think that doing one now will be conclusive.

As you have seen, we did post up some dyno information from a 4.3L car we worked on in the UK, which showed excellent results. In my opinion & experience, the exhaust itself (the rear muffler) makes very little HP, perhaps 4-5BHP, but it does drop a LOT of weight. When you're replacing the headers, you are also replacing 2000CPSI worth of cats (2 x 600 cell primaries and 2 x 400 cell secondaries) with 400CPSI worth of trimetallic motorsport cats.

I can't guarantee identical results for every single car this goes on, we can't control for a number of variables like the dyno itself, the ambient conditions. I've had customers do just the 200 cell cats on a 4.3L car and show a 13BHP gain. I've had other customers show me dyno sheets where they got 18BHP.

So rather than promise people they will see xx.xxxBHP gain, I prefer to show the results that we achieved and rely on happy customers to chime in too, even if their experiences show a range of results, I'm happy to show that range and usually tell people that the answer is probably somewhere in the middle!

Originally Posted by XWCGT
Having quite a bit of dyno experience with this size and type of engine, i can credibly say, it wont give you 12%. stock V8vantage at 420hp , is probably 360rwph. the exhaust is pretty restrictive, at the low end and opens up at the high end. (higher hp range), so maybe you get 10hp for the exhaust, and about 10hp for the headers. If it was a stock iron manifold US car, i could see more for the headers, especially equal length as the beautiful aftermarket headers are. If you see 20hp for the exhaust system, that would be a good gain! 6-7% is what you likely willl see. you absolultey wont take a 360rwhp car and turn it into 410 at the rear wheels with exhaust only.

the 4.3 to the 4.8 was a 10% increase in displacement and the rwhp probably went up 40hp, as shown by the flywheel rating increase of 380 to 420.(i.e. 40hp), and rear wheel probably went up 330 to 360 for the stock V8 4.3/.4.8L (i.e. 30rwhp)

edit: I saw the other thread. probabaly discounting the gains only because i didnt realize there is a ECU tweek as well, that is good for about 10-15hp as well. So, if you saw 20 for the entire system another 15 for the tune, that would be believable. that would be a 35hp gain, which is believable. Especially for such a nice set up.

Lets see the rear wheel HP numbers before and after. dynojet, or anything else is fine. just show the correction factors. Dont convert to flywheel, as there is too many variables to do that and get a realistic number. 15% loss is very general, and is usually only a loss at the top range of RPM, and is less in the taller gears. (btw)

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 12-09-2013, 06:36 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
I'm very intrigued by this project. I was under the assumption that the tune of the 4.7L from the factory was better and left less room for modification. Is that true? Also, does the 4.7L S offer a better opportunity to get closer to a V12V? I'd like to see and "S" with your system perform against a V12V on a track. Dynos don't matter to me as much as performance.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by jaymoney
I'd like to see and "S" with your system perform against a V12V on a track. Dynos don't matter to me as much as performance.
I'm with you on both counts!

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 12-09-2013, 11:45 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
I am hungry for dynos like a fat kid loves cake!

Old 12-12-2013, 03:09 AM
AstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the rough
There are important differences between a 4.3L and the 4.7L US. I don't think anybody expects that every car that gets this package will be put on a dyno, but certainly having at least one US 4.7L car of any year dyno'd is not an unrealistic expectation.

Otherwise there is just no way of knowing what this package buys you in terms of performance increase and thus no way for any prospective buyer to make a fact-based decision.

The only real rationale for buying this package is increased power. Not knowing how much of a power increase one is buying is pretty tough.

Stuart, maybe if you offered to reduce the price by the cost of the dyno for anybody who would do it and give us the data somebody would step up and go for it. A project car as it were.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:07 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by AstonAddict
There are important differences between a 4.3L and the 4.7L US. I don't think anybody expects that every car that gets this package will be put on a dyno, but certainly having at least one US 4.7L car of any year dyno'd is not an unrealistic expectation.

Otherwise there is just no way of knowing what this package buys you in terms of performance increase and thus no way for any prospective buyer to make a fact-based decision.

The only real rationale for buying this package is increased power. Not knowing how much of a power increase one is buying is pretty tough.

Stuart, maybe if you offered to reduce the price by the cost of the dyno for anybody who would do it and give us the data somebody would step up and go for it. A project car as it were.
I agree 100%, not unrealistic at all. It's not our intention to NOT do it, in a perfect world I would have had it done a long time ago. Just working within time constraints & each owners situation and so on. We have done several of these on 4.7L cars now, and so far the owners have been very happy and not interested in doing dynos.

I also have a customer in Australia who has done the conversion on a 4.7L, and who has done 'before' dyno data. Waiting on the 'after', however we discovered on the dyno that the clutch was slipping on the 'before' run (since changed) so I'm not certain that the final data will be usable.

How about this? Anyone with a 4.7L who is willing to do before & after dynos at a reputable, well calibrated dyno.... I will discount the package by MORE than the cost of the dyno!

PM me or Email me, we're keen to get this done.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 12-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stay posted, this thread might have generated a willing 6speeder to dyno test this package!

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Velocity Power Pack Install on a 2011 V8 Vantage