Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Spent today driving the new V12V S on road and track!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 03:52 PM
cyzonyx is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a helluva fun day. And if I had to choose one.. That blue looks amazing.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:49 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by MichaelD
They are fabulous looking cars, but this is the first time I've seen them with those orange panels in the lights, that is astonishingly bad. I know those lights are compulsory over there, but must be a way to disguise them so they don't look so obtrusive.
Nothing compulsory about them. Note the Rapide S just beyond Skyfall, and every vantage ever.

I assume it was a styling choice to make the car look a bit different from its brand mates.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:26 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IbisRider
Nothing compulsory about them. Note the Rapide S just beyond Skyfall, and every vantage ever.

I assume it was a styling choice to make the car look a bit different from its brand mates.
Not really. These orange repeaters are required in the US. Euro models do not have these (and I agree they mess up the light modules as compared to the other models in the AM line up). They should have stuck with the bumper repeaters like the other models, which are less noticeable.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:41 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by IbisRider

As mentioned, corner indicators are indeed mandatory in the USA market. In the case of the DB9 and Rapide, they placed them on the bumpers; on the Vanquish, they integrated them into the headlamp unit itself which is not very attractive. If I ever buy a Vanquish, I will be buying a set of DB9 headlamps to replace the standard light with. And with the bumper-mounted ones, you can replace them with the clear ones from the Vantage Collection (If you ever manage to get your order followed-up from them.)

Old 12-06-2013, 11:59 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
If rally like the V12S wheels, very modern looking yet still very Aston

Old 12-07-2013, 06:07 AM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
I like those wheels, too

Old 12-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Viperlaw is on a distinguished road
karlfranz we must have just missed each other. I was there for the afternoon session when the course had dried up so we were really able to push the car a lot harder. Having driven the original v12 vantage, I did not think there was much that they could improve on. It really seemed like a car that had everything you would ever want in terms of power, balance, brakes, and steering. I really was thinking that the S would just be a stripped down, more hardcore version but man was I wrong. Simply put, the S is the most complete car I have ever driven. The suspension is better, the torque is instant, and the transmission is so good you wonder what all of the beef about it not being a dual clutch is all about. Compared to my 09 vantage, this car is completely transformed. Im very happy I was able to spend the day out there and had a great time speaking with the aston team about the cars and its development. I really great day!

Old 12-12-2013, 04:44 AM
AstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the rough
For all the criticism it gets from the automotive journalist, I wonder how this transmission feels when driven properly and not in auto mode. These single clutch paddle shifters were always meant to be operated in paddle shift mode and when done so are very rewarding. As long as the shift times are relatively fast they great. They should just delete the auto mode.

I can't wait to drive one of these myself and see. I hope they put it in the Vanquish and make it an 'S' with greater horsepower. I would buy one of those in a second.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:03 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AstonAddict
For all the criticism it gets from the automotive journalist, I wonder how this transmission feels when driven properly and not in auto mode. These single clutch paddle shifters were always meant to be operated in paddle shift mode and when done so are very rewarding. As long as the shift times are relatively fast they great. They should just delete the auto mode.

I can't wait to drive one of these myself and see. I hope they put it in the Vanquish and make it an 'S' with greater horsepower. I would buy one of those in a second.
I believe most reviews are with them driving in manual mode... If you watch some of the video reviews, they are manually shifting while commenting on the gearbox.

I hope and pray Aston let this transmission die as it's too dated by today's standards.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:03 AM
AstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by RossL
I believe most reviews are with them driving in manual mode... If you watch some of the video reviews, they are manually shifting while commenting on the gearbox.

I hope and pray Aston let this transmission die as it's too dated by today's standards.
I believe the problem is that a DSG will not fit in the chassis, or so the Motor Trend guys said at the V12V S review. That was pretty surprising to hear, and basically leaves them with a stick or the sequential.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:13 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AstonAddict
I believe the problem is that a DSG will not fit in the chassis, or so the Motor Trend guys said at the V12V S review. That was pretty surprising to hear, and basically leaves them with a stick or the sequential.
Even if they upgraded to the Gallardo sequential or the F430 sequential it would be a nice upgrade. I believe Aston uses Graziano which is the same that Ferrari and Lamborghini use. It would be perfect if they used the F430 Scud or Gallardo Superleggera gearbox. I personally like these gearboxes better than the DSG.

Last edited by RossL; 12-12-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Viperlaw is on a distinguished road
The DSG systems are also about 50 kilos heavier or at least thats what the Aston engineers told me.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
If forced to choose, I would take on the additional 50kg if it meant having a transmission that is on par with the rest of the car, and I hate the idea of adding weight!

Old 12-12-2013, 04:16 PM
frankgtb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RossL
Even if they upgraded to the Gallardo sequential or the F430 sequential it would be a nice upgrade. I believe Aston uses Graziano which is the same that Ferrari and Lamborghini use. It would be perfect if they used the F430 Scud or Gallardo Superleggera gearbox. I personally like these gearboxes better than the DSG.
what exactly do u like better about the grazianos as opposed to the DSGs??

Old 12-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by frankgtb
what exactly do u like better about the grazianos as opposed to the DSGs??
The Scud and Superleggera both shift lightning fast but the transmission doesn't take away the emotion and enjoyment of driving. A manual is still better but in a different way. The DCT are too perfect if that makes sense. I had an M3 DCT for 3 months before I sold it. I loved it for about a week and couldn't believe how perfect it was. After the week and about 1,000 miles I was just driving around in automatic because the shifts were boring. The Scud's F1 Superfast is lightning fast, visceral and snaps your body into the seat on hard shifts. Everyone that has been in or driven my car always comments on the gearbox first followed by the sound.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spent today driving the new V12V S on road and track!