Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2016 Aston Martin Vanquish Getting a Mercedes Engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:26 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Understood, but still. One of the things that people like most about Astons is the exhaust note. To surrender that would be a mistake IMO. There are other ways to improve fuel economy (cylinder deactivation, etc.).
Problem is, everyone is going that route because of emissions. Look at Ferrari and also the crappy sounding F1's of today. The new Cali's are turbo'd and most likely will be the 458 successor as well. Sad

Old 05-07-2014, 10:28 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Seems like my theory that the Vantage will share the same drivetrain as the new SLC (baby SLS) are coming true. In fact it may even use the same all aluminum architecture that Mercedes is using. The front mid engine 4.0LTT with rear dual clutch transaxle going in the new SLC appears to be going into new vantage almost exactly (which explains the time frame since thats almost same time new SLC will be released.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:58 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by plastique999
Problem is, everyone is going that route because of emissions. Look at Ferrari and also the crappy sounding F1's of today. The new Cali's are turbo'd and most likely will be the 458 successor as well. Sad
A lot of car companies are producing turboed cars, but there are a lot of new cars that don't have turbos too. Look at the new Corvette. It uses cylinder deactivation to get a better mpg rating. Also, the new Huracan doesn't use turbos. Re: Ferrari, the California is turboed, but none of the other cars are and I doubt they will be in the future. For instance, I don't see the 458 replacement being turboed.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:41 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
A lot of car companies are producing turboed cars, but there are a lot of new cars that don't have turbos too. Look at the new Corvette. It uses cylinder deactivation to get a better mpg rating. Also, the new Huracan doesn't use turbos. Re: Ferrari, the California is turboed, but none of the other cars are and I doubt they will be in the future. For instance, I don't see the 458 replacement being turboed.
Lambo is probably one of the last Supercars that is fighting to keep an NA engine. The Huracan is a V10, those are rare. Look at what BMW did to the M5, E60 -> F10 = V10 -> V8 TT. V10's are becoming more rare.

There is already strong speculation that the 458 successor will be turbo'd. They are near the limit with the NA V8 - that engine can't compete with McLaren's 650S or even the Huracan's V10. There's a reason why the Cali went turbo.
It's all about chasing performance numbers and emissions.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Bottom line, there are still plenty of non-turboed sports cars being produced/introduced.

As for the 458 replacement, I really hope they don't go turbo. They can always increase displacement as they have steadily done over the years. As for the NA power limit, they also seem to have been able to extract more and more power per liter as the years have progressed. Personally, I'd rather see them supplement power with batteries as in the LaFerrari than resort to turbos. Compare the sound of last year's F1 cars with this year's F1 cars if you'd like to know the reason why.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Bottom line, there are still plenty of non-turboed sports cars being produced/introduced.

As for the 458 replacement, I really hope they don't go turbo. They can always increase displacement as they have steadily done over the years. As for the NA power limit, they also seem to have been able to extract more and more power per liter as the years have progressed. Personally, I'd rather see them supplement power with batteries as in the LaFerrari than resort to turbos. Compare the sound of last year's F1 cars with this year's F1 cars if you'd like to know the reason why.
I'm totally with ya.....it's a sad transition.
First manuals are all disappearing and now most are going turbo.
I'd love for engines to stay NA, that's why I left BMW after 25 years of various ownership with BMW's.
Guess it's about marketing to the masses and regulations.