Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Clear bra experience.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 01:02 PM
4pipes will become famous soon enough4pipes will become famous soon enough
Clear bra experience.

I have now put about 8,000 high speed freeway mile on my DBS. When I purchased it I decided to only cover the front from the bumper cover down under the carbon fiber splitters. I didn't want to cover the beautiful glass like paint finish from the factory.

I have found that the aerodynamic shape of the car causes most rocks and bugs to stagnate on the flat portion of the bumper cover and below, while not much, if anything, impacts the hood. In fact I can see the same for the windshield.

Anyway, just want to give an opinion relative to covering the car. You can get away with minimal protection, unless you're totally **** about it. But if you are, you probably don't drive it much anyway😉.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:29 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Might be true for DB9/DBS but IME not the Vantage
I've had two windscreens through stones as well as stop chips to the top of the wings and a few other places not covered by Venture shield. That's over the 23k miles I've done in AM's.
A friend over here has done similar mileage in their S coupe and the front looks like it has been peppered with shotgun pellets
I put it on because I drive it more than most owners and don't want to keep respraying stone chipped front panels, the rest were a bonus from specing the full kit.
As you say each to their own

Old 01-15-2014, 07:32 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I've got a full bra on mine and I'm very glad that I do. I drive my car a ton, and the bra has taken considerable abuse. My windshield has a few chips, too.

If anything, I think the more you drive your car, the more protection you should have.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:09 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
Before getting my DB9 I decided to get a clear bra. The car and it's finish was and still is super. I got the bra because I wanted lessen the risk in driving conditions in my area. I got my AM to enjoy and driving is the best way I've found to do so! The bra has paid for itself ! A near heart attack when an empty plastic garbage can fly's off a truck two lanes over at 70. The minor mark under the clear bra covered front bumper rubbed out and zero damage! ZERO !

Old 01-15-2014, 11:42 PM
mfrankel is on a distinguished road
Weighing in at just over 25K miles. You'd think I drive through sand storms and tailgate cement trucks. My bumper was so bad that I ended up having to have it repainted and added a clear bra because I wasn't smart enough to clear bra the car earlier. A clear bra will not hide existing chips, but simply freezes the current condition.

I also decided to clear bra the lights, because as you know on the DB serious these are large items and expensive to replace. I did not clear bra anything else, simply because the damage has been done. Eventually I'll have to have the whole front end repainted because of my inability to pull the trigger. My suggestion is to learn from my mistake and get your front done if you want to preserve the paint.
I also bought & installed the stone guards that go behind the front wheels. It doesn't take away too much from the lines of the car and my rockers were starting to get chipped up as well.

I'm now looking at a paint chip repair kit that I bought a year ago and don't yet have the guts to further mess up my front fenders or hood. Don't be me, get your clear bra done.

The good news, all of my paint chips would never have happened if the car was the garage queen. Cheers!

Old 01-29-2014, 10:00 AM
Conqueror is on a distinguished road
I had two very large rock chips appear on the front 2 ft of the hood on my DB9 in the first 1K miles.

The entire front of the car is now covered.