Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Porterfield brake pad question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 06:40 PM
GeorgeP is on a distinguished road
Porterfield brake pad question

Replaced the stock pads with Porterfield back in May of last year.

Lower dust, no squeal.

Everything seemed great.

Our beloved V8V got clipped while parked at an upscale hotel in Atlanta.

Long story short, had to sit a couple of months while waiting on a fender from the UK.

Now the brakes have a very noticeable squeal.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:56 PM
ArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the rough
The discs probably developed some rust on the surface and this is causing the pads to vibrate on the rotor face. If it doesn't go away in the short term, you may have the rotors turned and you can lightly sand the surface of the pads with some high grit sandpaper to remove any contamination.
Art

Old 01-23-2014, 09:10 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
what part number Porterfield. the stock pads are pretty crummy. the dust is off the charts. one 40 mile trip and the rims need to be washed.
as far as squeal, do a beding process and that should work. (100mph to 60 threshold braking about 4 -5 times)
you should never need to turn rotors, as that is really for fixing warped rotors. decent pads should naturally clean the surface and wear it down naturally.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:57 PM
PhoenixRising is on a distinguished road
I just replaced my warped front rotors after buying my '09 V8V several months ago. I thought that would stop the squeaking. Unfortunately it was still there.

This last week I put the Porterfield R4-S pads on the front due to the great reviews people have had. I bedded them in as much as possible and they were quiet for a short period of time - probably due to them being warmed up. In a last ditch effort, I purchased the isolator shims that I've read about here (Aston part # 4G43-28-10789). I'm getting REALLY good at a complete brake job on my car. My record is 15 minutes for the fronts.

Unfortunately, I'm STILL getting squeaking at low speeds. I've put grease on the non-working side of the pad between it and the shim, along the pins where they slide, along the top and bottom edges of the pad where they slide along inside the calipers, and on the pressure plate since it's metal on metal contact could be a problem.

I'm not sure what else I can do. It seems like bedding in should do the trick, but with normal driving that is only a patch job and they eventually glaze over again. I don't want to be known in town as 'that jerk that is always braking'. HAHA

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-03-2014, 10:21 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
I am telling you... Carbotech 1521 pads are the ONLY cure for dust AND noise on our cars...

Anything else is an act of futility

Old 02-03-2014, 11:04 PM
Argh. I had to decide between those and the Porterfields and I chose the others.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:21 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
how did you bed them..... the correct way seems like you are killing your brakes, but its the only way to really do it. you cook some of the resins out of the pads and get the rotors friendly with the pad surface.
100mph to 50mph about 6 times. try flooring the cars gas pedal as you apply the brakes too. it should do the trick. there is nothing special about our rotors or pads.
as long as they are not pure racing pads.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:28 PM
The rotors appear to still be bedding. You can see brake dust resting in tiny grooves like Carbotech explains. I performed 5 medium brake stops and about 5 hard braking slows from around 80-100 down to 30-40. Since all the pieces are new I may need to continue bedding to completely polish the rotor.

I know these are very similar to all braking systems, but our 911 and last 3 BMW's never did this. It seems too common in these Brembos to be a fluke.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:42 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
I am telling you... Carbotech 1521 pads are the ONLY cure for dust AND noise on our cars...

Anything else is an act of futility
I think that is Hyperbole in the extreme.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 02-03-2014, 11:47 PM
There are posts on this site that also complain about Carbotech pads squealing at low speeds. That was the reason I chose the Porterfields. I'm going to continue the bedding process. Wish me luck.

I also tried the Girodisc 2-piece rotors for the Ford GT after reading they should fit. Unfortunately that particular brand did not. It's been quite the learning experience.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:48 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
It's not, every other pad has been tried and still squeals over time for our applications.

You can bed in the pads over and over again, but over time it will squeal again as you drive it less aggressively. Shims are a bandaid solution but don't cure the source of the problem.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:53 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
You can get many pads to bed on the fronts but the rears are a different animal. AML pads (pagid) are expensive, dusty, but quiet

Old 02-04-2014, 08:08 AM
I figured. I'll deal with what I have and know that this is a recurring issue. It's a bummer too. This is the only issue I've ever had with this car. Thank you for all your input!

Old 02-04-2014, 08:46 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I was the original user of Porterfield R4-S for Aston after my experience developing a pad for the Esprit. I never bedded-in my pads on the Vantage. I'm using the stock Aston shims and after 20K miles, still no squealing. Very little dust in the fronts, but still annoyingly dusts the rears due to traction control. But the idea that Carbotechs are the ONLY pad to use is hogwash.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising
The rotors appear to still be bedding. You can see brake dust resting in tiny grooves like Carbotech explains. I performed 5 medium brake stops and about 5 hard braking slows from around 80-100 down to 30-40. Since all the pieces are new I may need to continue bedding to completely polish the rotor.

I know these are very similar to all braking systems, but our 911 and last 3 BMW's never did this. It seems too common in these Brembos to be a fluke.
911s and especially BMWs have NO WHERE near the brake caliper size. these are 14"" rotors. not the paltry 12-13s of the BMWs and earlier porsches. (porsche big reds were 13' rotors, but no where near the caliper size of the AM)

It also could be rotor material and finish, when new. the problem should go away with a good bedding and over time.

your bedding with medium stops, wont due much. they really have to cook to get the resins out of the pads and get a wear pattern on the surfaces.

I do this a lot, so i have quite a bit of experience bedding brakes for street and race. the only pads i cant get to stop squeaking is the full race pads like pagid RS14s or equiv. (pagid racing black). I can get pagid orange race pads to stop squeaking, but the rotors have to be new to begin with.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porterfield brake pad question