Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Question about tracker/immobilizer 09 V8V + manual

Old 02-23-2014, 07:33 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Question about tracker/immobilizer 09 V8V + manual

So I've been looking at this car that doesn't come with the tracker tag. Grant's book says it's an option... but doesn't specify if it became standard in any year.

The car in question doesn't have an owner's manual or a pen or a conditioner (and the spec sheet says it came with a conditioner), meaning the previous owner probably lost or kept them.

My questions are:

- Is there any way to know just by looking at something in the car if it came with a tag originally?

- If it did come with a tag and it was misplaced, is there a way to use my cell phone as a tag? I know this can be done but unsure if this is possible without having the tag to begin with.

- I asked the dealer to get me an owner's manual if I bought the car but he says he can't find an 09 owner's manual anywhere, and that pre-09s go for around $500. I should clarify this is not an Aston dealer. Is there a way to get my car's manual? If so, how much do they go for?

- I know the conditioner is cheap-ish to get, IF you don't get the Ason re-branded one. Does anyone have a source for one in the US?

Thanks!

Old 02-24-2014, 06:14 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I had a similar situation with my 09. Not sure about the tracker, but the owners manual I got at a discount from Newport Beach Aston Martin (where I bought the car), and the battery conditioner you can find on the internet - I found a used one for only $90. Not sure about the pen, but mine was advertised the include the umbrella, and it was not delivered with one.

After a nightmarish experience with Newport Beach Aston Martin to get the car licensed (it took several complaints to Aston Martin Corporate UK and Stateside to get it solved), and multiple calls and E-Mails to get the as advertised 'umbrella' to Newport Beach AM, I finally gave ... so no umbrella that was advertised.

I run two businesses which have international recognition and am responsible for the design of billions of dollars of land development annually. Yet it's funny how these little insignificant things can consume your time and energy.

I probably spent more effort to get the stupid umbrella as advertised, as I would to get a $100K design contract. I guess it was the 'F-Y' attitude that dwelled on me from certain people at Newport Beach AM in the sales process.

Are these items big things... absolutely not, but it's funny how we can dwell on them.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:44 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Pretty sure trackers are for Europe only. Owners manual PDF downloads are available at astonmartintechinfo.com (along with all the other manuals) for a one-day subscription fee of ~$100.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:04 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Like YVR said, trackers are Europe only. E-bay is your friend for a CTEK charger, and also for an owner's manual (unless the PDF copy is sufficient for you).

Old 02-24-2014, 12:51 PM
V12Vantage has a spectacular aura aboutV12Vantage has a spectacular aura aboutV12Vantage has a spectacular aura about
AM tracker can be configured to operate without tags if required. The tags are optional.

Get a Ctek charger along with the necessary accessory socket plug, much cheaper than the AM branded charger.

If possible, I would try and obtain the handbook from the previous owners, it's not much good to them without the car. If this is not possible, keep a lookout on Ebay etc, they do come up for sale.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:22 AM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bleen
- I asked the dealer to get me an owner's manual if I bought the car but he says he can't find an 09 owner's manual anywhere, and that pre-09s go for around $500. I should clarify this is not an Aston dealer. Is there a way to get my car's manual? If so, how much do they go for?
Astonmartinbits has some handbooks. For example, here's one for a V8V of TBD year
http://www.astonmartinbits.com/model...tage/parts/671

This one is about $335 USD

Old 03-01-2014, 07:52 AM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Bleen,
A few thoughts that might help:

1. Does the car have the emergency tire repair kit? From the other items missing it sounds like you should check this too. If it does have it, be sure to check the expiry date shown - I think that they only last 3 years or so. If you need one they are about $500 from the dealer ( or $100 from Tire Rack )

2. I would be sure to have a friendly Aston dealer run the VIN for you before you buy the car in order to obtain the full service history. It could be that the original owners manual was lost, or even kept by a previous owner as a souvenir, so I wouldn't worry too much about that specifically, but you never know. By using the same computer system an Aston dealer should also be able to tell you all the options that the car originally came with.

3. An 09 manual will crop up on ebay from time to time, I have seen them. Also, as Jeff mentions, AstonMartinBits are an invaluable resource. They seem to have a route to even the most obscure parts.

FF

Last edited by FatFrank; 03-01-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:32 AM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by FatFrank
Bleen,
A few thoughts that might help:

1. Does the car have the emergency tire repair kit? From the other items missing it sounds like you should check this too. If it does have it, be sure to check the expiry date shown - I think that they only last 3 years or so. If you need one they are about $500 from the dealer ( or $100 from Tire Rack )

2. I would be sure to have a friendly Aston dealer run the VIN for you before you buy the car in order to obtain the full service history. It could be that the original owners manual was lost, or even kept by a previous owner as a souvenir, so I wouldn't worry too much about that specifically, but you never know. By using the same computer system an Aston dealer should also be able to tell you all the options that the car originally came with.

3. An 09 manual will crop up on ebay from time to time, I have seen them. Also, as Jeff mentions, AstonMartinBits are an invaluable resource. They seem to have a route to even the most obscure parts.

FF
Thanks everyone for the comments!

I purchased this car in the end. I asked the seller to provide a new manual, they already shipped it to me so now I have a manual but no car haha. The car should be shipped in the coming days from Texas (I'm in CA).

I'm being given a 100% refund guarantee by doing a PPI (I'm biting the bullet and taking it to AM Beverly Hills for a $500 PPI).

I called the dealer closest to the seller and inquired about the car. Even if the manual doesn't have any stamps because it's new, the dealer verbally confirmed it had all services and said the car should be fine.
He couldn't send me the service history because of privacy concerns. I'm still racking my brain about how to get this. Maybe AM Beverly Hills will be able to help? I'd love to get those stamps in the new manual if possible.
Any ideas?

Forgot to inquire about the tire kit. I guess I'll check it when it arrives. Given that even the Lamy pen was missing (also gonna be provided by the seller), I wouldn't be surprised if this is missing too.

Btw looking for the manual this is be best price I found:
http://www.astonmartinparts.net/Part...09MY)/1216.htm
I believe this is where the seller finally got it from.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:44 PM
I'm being given a 100% refund guarantee by doing a PPI (I'm biting the bullet and taking it to AM Beverly Hills for a $500 PPI).
I've got my fingers crossed for you. BTW that seems a little steep for a PPI. I think mine was only something like $250 (?) but can't be sure. I don't think mine was really much more than the standard Aston 150 point check though.

He couldn't send me the service history because of privacy concerns. I'm still racking my brain about how to get this. Maybe AM Beverly Hills will be able to help? I'd love to get those stamps in the new manual
Once you get to know your local Aston dealer, and they know that you own the car in question, I wouldn't be surprised if they run the history and print it out for you. When you phone up a random dealership the service center has no idea who you really, so is justified in being cautious.

I suppose I really should take my book in and get it stamped. I haven't for any of the 3 services that I've had and neither did the original owner, although I do have all the service history printed out from the Aston database and receipts for each visit etc.

Btw looking for the manual this is be best price I found:
http://www.astonmartinparts.net/Part...09MY)/1216.htm
That is a great price for a new manual. It probably will look factory original too - I think if you were to order one from the main dealer it would somehow be marked as a duplicate or similar.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:39 PM
I've got my fingers crossed for you. BTW that seems a little steep for a PPI. I think mine was only something like $250 (?) but can't be sure. I don't think mine was really much more than the standard Aston 150 point check though.
Where was this? At a dealer? I guess I can always call the dealer in the valley or Newport becach, they're 40~60 min away, while the closest one is just '10.

Once you get to know your local Aston dealer, and they know that you own the car in question, I wouldn't be surprised if they run the history and print it out for you. When you phone up a random dealership the service center has no idea who you really, so is justified in being cautious.
I can only hope. One of the main reasons I'm doing this at a dealer instead of an indy is to get also the recall, software updates, and hopefully the manual stamped.

That is a great price for a new manual. It probably will look factory original too - I think if you were to order one from the main dealer it would somehow be marked as a duplicate or similar.
Checking the manual, I got to the stamp section and it says "DUPLICATE" across the sections that would get the service info and stamps. Bummer. I guess I can still get it stamped anyways?
Not a huge issue but it'd be a nice way to preserve a bit more value.

Last edited by Bleen; 03-01-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:04 AM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
PPI - When I purchased mine, AM dealer wanted 600 for the PPI including compression and leak down tests. They will hook up to AMDS which provides additional info on top of inspections.

Vehicle History - any AM dealer will be able to provide history of works performed under warranty works performed. Any records outside of warranty (e.g. annual service and out-of-pocket) can only be obtained from the dealer who did the job. They might give you verbal info on the jobs done but only the person who paid for the service can request for another copy of the invoice.

Stamps - only the dealer who performed the annual service will be able to stamp on the owner's manual.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by cret
PPI - When I purchased mine, AM dealer wanted 600 for the PPI including compression and leak down tests. They will hook up to AMDS which provides additional info on top of inspections.

Vehicle History - any AM dealer will be able to provide history of works performed under warranty works performed. Any records outside of warranty (e.g. annual service and out-of-pocket) can only be obtained from the dealer who did the job. They might give you verbal info on the jobs done but only the person who paid for the service can request for another copy of the invoice.

Stamps - only the dealer who performed the annual service will be able to stamp on the owner's manual.
Thanks for the info. Car has been shipped today actually. Hopefully will be here around Wednesday.

I'm still split about doing the PPI at a dealer and spending $500 vs $250 at an indy... hopefully the dealer will look at it more in depth?

Old 03-03-2014, 03:51 PM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the info. Car has been shipped today actually. Hopefully will be here around Wednesday.

I'm still split about doing the PPI at a dealer and spending $500 vs $250 at an indy... hopefully the dealer will look at it more in depth?
Not sure if dealer will look more but if you have SportShift, AMDS will be able to tell you the clutch wear (more like the number of shifts performed)

Old 03-03-2014, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by cret
Not sure if dealer will look more but if you have SportShift, AMDS will be able to tell you the clutch wear (more like the number of shifts performed)
Awesome, thanks for the info. Dealer confirmed they can do this.

Got quoted $350 by Galpin, booking it for a day after I get the car.

The car needs to be serviced, last service (minor) was done 1 year ago.
Dealer suggested I'd have oil, transmission fluids, filters, etc
Pretty much everything in a 4 year service. Said it'd be like ~3k for that.

D-yikes

I'm definitely getting the inspection done there but I might get a second quote at an indy for the same service.

Thoughts?

Old 03-03-2014, 05:58 PM

I'm definitely getting the inspection done there but I might get a second quote at an indy for the same service.

Thoughts?
$350 sounds good, nice improvement. Perhaps that's actually what I paid when I had mine PPI'd at Palm Beech Aston?

If you are interested in purchasing the Aston extended warranty, then probably the service needs to be done at the Aston dealer. Otherwise, a good Indy would probably save you a fair bit.....

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about tracker/immobilizer 09 V8V + manual