Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DIY Oil Change- DB9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 12:14 PM
4leafcloverz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rscultho
Considering the oil filter is such a small part of the overall oil change process I think I will go and get the Aston filter from a dealership.
rscultho have I seen you over at jag forums? I read alot on the XKR when I owned one and remember seeing your name pop up.

As to the filter, some of us must be guinea pigs to allow future generations more options

Old 05-24-2014, 04:33 PM
Wildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of light
Happy dance

Finished oil change on DB9
First time in my life so took a loooong time to complete, damn difficult. But 2nd time will be easy.
Took 12 quart of oil mobile 1 0-w40 ero formula
Only problem I am left with is I can't put the clip back on air intake hose
Not the big one which goes in to throttle body but one smaller one on lower side of throttle body.

Any special tricks? It is so hard to reach, may be there is a special tool?
I am doing to go look for extra long thine nose plier may be that will work.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Wildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of light
Also one trick I did was
Once the filter is loose, don't try to bring it up filled with oil which can spill everywhere instead let it sit up right in the area near oil pump
Get a fluid pump with long tubings on both side, empty the filter
Now it gets light weight and can be tilted to bring it out from the top, without spilling a single drop.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:02 PM
rscultho is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 4leafcloverz
rscultho have I seen you over at jag forums? I read alot on the XKR when I owned one and remember seeing your name pop up.

As to the filter, some of us must be guinea pigs to allow future generations more options
Yes...I have owned several Jags and I am a Jaguar fan. I still post over there from time to time.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Banned
jyu12 is on a distinguished road
I just did my DB9 Oil change over the weekend. I replace the aston clip on the air intake hose with a standard 5/8" hose clamp. The trick I used to remove the oil filter was after loosening it I placed a plastic bag over the loose filter before completely removing it.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:39 PM
Organeer is on a distinguished road
Just because a filter is a similar size and screws onto the threads doesn't mean it is correct for a car, especially a high performance one.
There are a few parameters to consider such as oil flow, micron particle size, bypass pressure etc.
Do you buy cheap oil as well? What about second hand part worn tyres while you are "savng" money.
If you are doing the job yourself you are already saving loads. Fancy an engine rebuild caused by saving pennies?

Old 04-03-2016, 05:24 PM
AMChris is on a distinguished road
I am trying to change my oil on my db9 but there is a wireclip hooking into some aluminum line that is behind the oil filter so i cannot unscrew the filter the entire way off. I tried disconnecting the clip but i cant get it off or out of the way.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160403_182002.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	3.65 MB
ID:	444639  
Old 04-04-2016, 10:41 AM
PNW
PNW is on a distinguished road
So you're saying you can't even unscrew the filter all the way before it hits that clip? I just did my oil change weekend before last on my DB9 but didn't have that issue. When the filter was unscrewed all the way there was still clearance to that clip - not much but there was clearance. I didn't have to remove any clips by the filter. Can you rotate that clip to buy you just a bit more room? It seems like you should be right on the verge of having the filter come off - like you're on the last half thread or something.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by PNW
So you're saying you can't even unscrew the filter all the way before it hits that clip? I just did my oil change weekend before last on my DB9 but didn't have that issue. When the filter was unscrewed all the way there was still clearance to that clip - not much but there was clearance. I didn't have to remove any clips by the filter. Can you rotate that clip to buy you just a bit more room? It seems like you should be right on the verge of having the filter come off - like you're on the last half thread or something.
I was able to unhook the clip but there still wasnt enough clearence. No matter how hard i tried the metal line would not move so i couldnt get the filter off. I screwed the filter back on and filled the car with oil. When i have time ill take it somewhere or pull the undertray and see if i can lossen a braket for that line and get it out of the way.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:04 PM
PNW
PNW is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AMChris
I was able to unhook the clip but there still wasnt enough clearence. No matter how hard i tried the metal line would not move so i couldnt get the filter off. I screwed the filter back on and filled the car with oil. When i have time ill take it somewhere or pull the undertray and see if i can lossen a braket for that line and get it out of the way.
Just curious - what year is your DB9 and what is that metal hose/connecter for or connected to? I have an 08 and I don't have that metal line there - hence why I had no interference issues removing my filter. It's hard to get a picture of the filter location once all the air ducting is back in place.

Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2016, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by PNW
Just curious - what year is your DB9 and what is that metal hose/connecter for or connected to? I have an 08 and I don't have that metal line there - hence why I had no interference issues removing my filter. It's hard to get a picture of the filter location once all the air ducting is back in place.
Its a 2005. I couldnt tell what the line went to. I was thinking power steering or transmission cooler....does the car have a transmission cooler for the auto?

Old 06-12-2016, 05:08 AM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
Are these instructions good for 2015 DB9 ? I am a newbie ... where is the filter located ?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1697.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	450806  
Old 06-16-2016, 02:33 PM
Look very similar
Filter should be on right side of the picture
Take a light and look down in the ending from around that corrugated plastic/rubber pipe (air intake) which is going in to theprottle body.

Filter should be visible and most likely white in color

Old 04-17-2018, 03:36 AM
jossharvey21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Great write up it's been really helpful for those who are going to do oil change in their car.Thanks all folks.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:29 AM
V12Stealth is an unknown quantity at this point
I stumbled across this thread when I was looking for an alternate OEM filter. And I wanted to address this post;

Originally Posted by Organeer
Just because a filter is a similar size and screws onto the threads doesn't mean it is correct for a car, especially a high performance one.
There are a few parameters to consider such as oil flow, micron particle size, bypass pressure etc.
High Performance engines
The Ford Racing CM-6731-FL820 filter is OEM for modern Mustang V8s, which (depending on application) often make more power than a DB9.

Flow rate and filter particle size
Summit lists the Ford Racing filter as 12microns. No idea what the AM filter is rated at. But this is just like with air filters, its a trade off. The smaller the filter particle size, the more restrictive it becomes to flow. I've heard that you can find extreme filters that go down to something like 1 micron. A red blood cell is about 8 microns. So some oil filters out there will be able to clean brand NEW oil!

Bypass pressure
This number is not important. The bypass pressure value, is the pressure needed to bypass the filter element because its full of dirt. Its like a safety switch to prevent the filter exploding when its full of dirt. It tells you nothing about how much dirt the filter can hold, which is more important. If you're doing 10,000 mile oil change intervals then you want to maximise the dirt holding capacity of the filter, typically measured in grams. The bypass pressure value is not relevant.

In my opinion the Ford Racing FL820 is the best oil filter money can buy for the AMV12. Period. I'm happy to be proved wrong if someone out there is willing to cut up, measure and test a genuine AM filter. There is enough measurement data out there that we could probably figure out who the manufacturer/brand really is.

I found this link from the internet archives of a full list of measurements and pictures of different compatible FL820 filters; https://web.archive.org/web/20100328...white/id7.html

Ford Racing CM-6731-FL820 Oil Filter
Measurements
  • Filter Weight - 19.75 oz
  • Can OD - 3.68" / Seam OD - 3.76"
  • Overall Height - 3.99"
  • Can Material - 0.019" thick steel
  • Filter Element OD - 3.44" (at element)
  • Filter Element Height - 2.81"
  • Media - Cellulose - Synthetic Mix? Oiled? (appears orange)
  • Number of pleats - 63 + 1 joint
  • Depth of pleats - 0.73"
  • Media length (unrolled) - 100" (seam crimped)
  • Media width (glue not included) - 2.50"
  • Media thickness - 0.029"
  • Total media surface area - 250 sq. in.
  • Total media volume - 7.25 cu. in.
  • Inner Filter Support Material - 0.010" Thick Perforated Steel
  • Inner Filter Support OD - 1.71"
  • Indentifying marks
    Can - 810050516 / Made in USA
    Bar Code - 7_56122_07567_8
    Label - 6945234
    Base - 22 / MM
  • Gasket Retention - Multiple Crimps
  • Thread - M22-1.5
  • Relief Valve Location - base end
  • ADBV Material - Silicon

Last edited by V12Stealth; 04-09-2019 at 10:14 AM. Reason: grammar

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change- DB9