Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V12 Vantage questions . . .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:01 AM
ohTHATeric is on a distinguished road
V12 Vantage questions . . .

All,

First a quick thanks for all the great info on this forum.

I'm upgrading from a V8V n420 to a V12 Vantage (MY2011 or 2012) but had a few questions and was hoping the group's wisdom could assist.

From forum posts, the V8Vs weak spots seems to be the clutch and squeaky brakes . My N420 clutch seems fine so far (only 4600 miles on car) but I tend to drive very gently around town. My brakes squeak but only when it is extremely cold outside; otherwise fine.

I assume the V12V's carbon ceramic brakes don't "squeak"?

Does the V12V have a different clutch? I rarely see any posts or comments about clutch issues with the V12.

Thank you in advance for your insights.

best,
e

PS And if anyone is interested in a N420, PM me for details.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:27 AM
b_gust99 will become famous soon enough
My brakes squeak significantly. They improve after washing or going very hard on the brakes with speed. As far as I know this is pretty standard with ceramics. As for the clutch, I doubt it's the same as the V8, but not certain. However, the clutch life is more user dependent since it's not a Sportshift. I'm not aware of anybody complaining about v12 clutch issues on this forum. Best of luck with the sale and v12 purchase.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:30 AM
HenryM is on a distinguished road
My understanding is that the V12 Vantage has a lightened flywheel and twin plate clutch. It certainly feels "lighter" than the 2007 V8 Vantage manual clutch that I owned before.

As far as Carbon Ceramic brakes are concerned, I don't have enough miles on my V12V to comment but I do know that Aston Carbon Ceramic brakes can squeak. However, there have been some posts suggesting that Aston has fitted new brake pads for cars with this problem to correct the issue.

Henry

Old 03-19-2014, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by HenryM
My understanding is that the V12 Vantage has a lightened flywheel and twin plate clutch. It certainly feels "lighter" than the 2007 V8 Vantage manual clutch that I owned before.

As far as Carbon Ceramic brakes are concerned, I don't have enough miles on my V12V to comment but I do know that Aston Carbon Ceramic brakes can squeak. However, there have been some posts suggesting that Aston has fitted new brake pads for cars with this problem to correct the issue.

Henry
Thanks Henry. Yes, since my N420 is still under warranty, I'm thinking about addressing the brake squeak issue with the dealer. It's not bad but definitely loud if it's cold outside . . . goes away after the brakes warm up but still seems excessive.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by b_gust99
My brakes squeak significantly. They improve after washing or going very hard on the brakes with speed. As far as I know this is pretty standard with ceramics. As for the clutch, I doubt it's the same as the V8, but not certain. However, the clutch life is more user dependent since it's not a Sportshift. I'm not aware of anybody complaining about v12 clutch issues on this forum. Best of luck with the sale and v12 purchase.
Thanks b_gust99. Yeah, I also noticed that most clutch issues seem to be v8 users. That could just be a factor of there being a lot more V8s out there but was curious if there was a mechanical difference. I would assume given the HP increase with the V12V that the clutch might differ to handle the extra power/torque but just wasn't sure.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:56 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ohTHATeric
All,

I'm upgrading from a V8V n420 to a V12 Vantage (MY2011 or 2012) but had a few questions and was hoping the group's wisdom could assist.

From forum posts, the V8Vs weak spots seems to be the clutch and squeaky brakes . My N420 clutch seems fine so far (only 4600 miles on car) but I tend to drive very gently around town. My brakes squeak but only when it is extremely cold outside; otherwise fine.

Does the V12V have a different clutch? I rarely see any posts or comments about clutch issues with the V12.

best,
e

Most ceramic brakes squeak, including those on my old V12V and my "new" scud. Just the way it is. That said, it's not a very loud squeak.

My understanding is that the clutch is different on the V12 cars.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:03 AM
Thanks Racer_x. How do you like the Ferrari (vs. the V12V)? [And certainly not trying to start a AM Vs. Ferrari opinion war . . . just curious how you like the F430].

Old 03-19-2014, 08:09 AM
V12V will become famous soon enough
The V12 does have a dual plate clutch. Better feel and take up than the V8 IMO. I wouldn't worry about wear issues other than first owners driving style. I have 2,100 miles on my car and the brakes have never made a sound. It is important to remember never to use wheel cleaners on cars with CBs. Harsh cleaners will make them squeal. You also need to watch the oil as they do use it.
Since you are buying used I would absolutely have dealer do a PPI. If buying from a dealer negotiate for an extra year of warranty as the 11 cars are expired or close to it.
I am very happy with mine and consider it a keeper as it is the last of the manuals.
Good luck on your hunt. Almost forgot... The last 2012 cars have the auto lights, wipers and the back up camera. One of those with the B&O would be my choice.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:23 AM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
As others have posted, the V12 clutch is different and may not be prone to the same issues as the V8. However, wear will be dependent on the driver.

My CCB do occasionally squeak, not all the time though. The sound intensity (volume) is much lower than the brakes on my old V8.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:39 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
I can't speak to the V12 CCBs but on my Scud they will squeak if I slow down slowly. To remedy I just slow down a little more aggressively and the squeak is gone. On my Aston's they both squeaked like crazy. I asked the dealer to fix it 2 or 3 times on my first car and eventually gave up. I found getting aftermarket pads fixed the problem. When I purchased the V8VS, the brakes squeaked and I immediately swapped the pads. I don't remember the pads I bought anymore but I believe they were Porterfield.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:55 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Thanks Racer_x. How do you like the Ferrari (vs. the V12V)? [And certainly not trying to start a AM Vs. Ferrari opinion war . . . just curious how you like the F430].
Love it but it is a completely different animal. The V12V is more of a luxury GT with gobs of low-end grunt, where as the scud is more of a stripped-down sportscar and the fun doesn't really begin until you're over 4000 rpms. Both are fantastic cars. It just depends on what you want. I made the switch only because it was time for a change after driving Vantages for 4 years.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:47 AM
RossL,

Thanks . . . my brakes also squeak under slow braking but it really seems temperature plays the biggest factor. I'll look into the Porterfields if the dealer can't resolve.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Thanks Racer_x. Yeah, I had an Lotus Elise (yet an even different kind of animal from either the Vantage or the 430) and you really had to wind it out but it was a ton of fun to drive. I love the Vantage though . . .

Old 03-19-2014, 02:06 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
All,

best,
e

As stated by others, the V12V is a twin plate. I wouldn't be too concerned about the longevity of it. Same stuff that's in the manual DBS, and manual DB9's. There's a fair few DB9's & DBS's out there now with some mileage on them and the wear hasn't appeared to be an issue as it is with the V8.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 03-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Thank you Stuart--I appreciate the information. If I may, let me ask an incredibly stupid question (I'm not mechanically inclined, forgive me): if the twin-plate in the V12 is more robust, why not put one in the V8 Vantage since its clutch is known to be weaker? I assume there must be some mechanical incompatibility?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V12 Vantage questions . . .