Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V12 Vantage questions . . .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 02:43 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ohTHATeric
Thank you Stuart--I appreciate the information. If I may, let me ask an incredibly stupid question (I'm not mechanically inclined, forgive me): if the twin-plate in the V12 is more robust, why not put one in the V8 Vantage since its clutch is known to be weaker? I assume there must be some mechanical incompatibility?
I don't know for sure but I would say Cost. You can put a twin plate clutch in the Vantage, the GT4 cars run them and we sell them as do a couple of other companies. But cost is the most likely answer.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 03-19-2014, 02:48 PM
ohTHATeric is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by V12V
The V12 does have a dual plate clutch. Better feel and take up than the V8 IMO. I wouldn't worry about wear issues other than first owners driving style. I have 2,100 miles on my car and the brakes have never made a sound. It is important to remember never to use wheel cleaners on cars with CBs. Harsh cleaners will make them squeal. You also need to watch the oil as they do use it.
Since you are buying used I would absolutely have dealer do a PPI. If buying from a dealer negotiate for an extra year of warranty as the 11 cars are expired or close to it.
I am very happy with mine and consider it a keeper as it is the last of the manuals.
Good luck on your hunt. Almost forgot... The last 2012 cars have the auto lights, wipers and the back up camera. One of those with the B&O would be my choice.
Thank you V12V . . . that's a good tip on the later 2012 cars. I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm temped with the B&O system but I find myself constantly turning my premium stereo off so I can just listen to the N420 exhaust!

Old 03-19-2014, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
I don't know for sure but I would say Cost. You can put a twin plate clutch in the Vantage, the GT4 cars run them and we sell them as do a couple of other companies. But cost is the most likely answer.
Thank you again, Stuart. Though I've never associated the rationality of "cost savings" with the words "Aston Martin," you are probably correct. Certainly if (or perhaps, more accurately, "when") I replace the clutch I'd likely go with Velocity's twin plate solution.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:29 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
My V8V brakes used to squeak. I have had no such issues with my V12V.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:58 PM
groutguy has a spectacular aura aboutgroutguy has a spectacular aura aboutgroutguy has a spectacular aura about
I have some squeaking with my CCB's, but I really have to listen for it.
The squeak is relatively minor.
So far my V12V has been bulletproof, and the clutch feel and performance has been better than my dodge viper dual clutch ever felt.
I have the premium sound system in my car, and when properly adjusted it sounds excellent. I have listened to the B & O system in other Astons, and I don't think that there is a significant enough increase in the sound quality to justify the added cost (although the motorized speakers are just too cool).
V12V pros:
- absolute best sounding V12 engine period (without being too obnoxiously loud.
- relatively simple to work on compared to other exotics.
- exclusivity.
- small car/big engine is always a plus if you enjoy torque and pep.
- extremely well balanced and easy to drive.
- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde performance if you want to daily drive it.
- beautiful paint, beautiful lines, excellent driving ergonomics, and one of a very few luxury vehicles with supercar performance specifications.
- The availability of performance and personalization upgrades from vendors like Stuart at velocity.
Like any other car there are some cons:
- Price
- fuel economy
- depreciation
- tire life (could be good or bad depending on how much fun you like to have).
Make sure that you get a copy of the build sheet, so that you can verify that all optional items are still with the car, e.g. Umbrella, lamy pen, first aid kit, etc.
Hope this helps!

Old 03-20-2014, 05:29 AM
RandysWay is infamous around these parts
PS And if anyone is interested in a N420, PM me for details.
I'm in the market. What color and mileage? Coupe or roadster? Manual or automatic? Send me a PM with your e-mail - I don't have enough posts to PM yet. Thanks!

Old 03-20-2014, 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by RandysWay
I'm in the market. What color and mileage? Coupe or roadster? Manual or automatic? Send me a PM with your e-mail - I don't have enough posts to PM yet. Thanks!

PM on its way . . .

Old 03-20-2014, 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by groutguy
I have some squeaking with my CCB's, but I really have to listen for it.
The squeak is relatively minor.
So far my V12V has been bulletproof, and the clutch feel and performance has been better than my dodge viper dual clutch ever felt.
I have the premium sound system in my car, and when properly adjusted it sounds excellent. I have listened to the B & O system in other Astons, and I don't think that there is a significant enough increase in the sound quality to justify the added cost (although the motorized speakers are just too cool).
V12V pros:
- absolute best sounding V12 engine period (without being too obnoxiously loud.
- relatively simple to work on compared to other exotics.
- exclusivity.
- small car/big engine is always a plus if you enjoy torque and pep.
- extremely well balanced and easy to drive.
- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde performance if you want to daily drive it.
- beautiful paint, beautiful lines, excellent driving ergonomics, and one of a very few luxury vehicles with supercar performance specifications.
- The availability of performance and personalization upgrades from vendors like Stuart at velocity.
Like any other car there are some cons:
- Price
- fuel economy
- depreciation
- tire life (could be good or bad depending on how much fun you like to have).
Make sure that you get a copy of the build sheet, so that you can verify that all optional items are still with the car, e.g. Umbrella, lamy pen, first aid kit, etc.
Hope this helps!
Groutguy,

Lovely write up of pros/cons. A question on depreciation . . . I get that it will devalue in the short term but I'm curious on the group's opinion. My gut feeling (which is not necessarily an fiscally accurate gut) is the v12 Vantage will likely be one of the more collectable Astons in the future (like 20 years out). Though I would never purchase one purely because it might be collectible, it seems to have quite a bit going for it (beyond what groutguy smartly listed):

- relatively small production #s (compared to V8 vantage) and I suspect smaller runs than the DBS or DB9.
- V12
- manual (and this must be one of the last V12 manual cars made . . . does any other manufacturer offer a manual v12?)
- an incredible--and I would argue, a "classic"--visual design;
- from an "era" when Aston Martin was actually independent (not Ford-owned or, if rumors are to be believed, not owned by Mercedes).

Others' opinions?

Old 03-20-2014, 07:52 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Groutguy,

Lovely write up of pros/cons. A question on depreciation . . . I get that it will devalue in the short term but I'm curious on the group's opinion. My gut feeling (which is not necessarily an fiscally accurate gut) is the v12 Vantage will likely be one of the more collectable Astons in the future (like 20 years out). Though I would never purchase one purely because it might be collectible, it seems to have quite a bit going for it (beyond what groutguy smartly listed):

- relatively small production #s (compared to V8 vantage) and I suspect smaller runs than the DBS or DB9.
- V12
- manual (and this must be one of the last V12 manual cars made . . . does any other manufacturer offer a manual v12?)
- an incredible--and I would argue, a "classic"--visual design;
- from an "era" when Aston Martin was actually independent (not Ford-owned or, if rumors are to be believed, not owned by Mercedes).

Others' opinions?
I wouldn't base the decision to buy the car in any way on whether or not it will be collectible "some day." You are right that it might be in 20+ years. This is irrelevant though unless (i) you will hold the car for that long and (ii) you will put hardly any miles on it over that time period to maintain its desirability to serious collectors. In the meantime, the car will depreciate like any other. My advice would to buy a lightly used one. It will be like new and will have already taken a substantial depreciation hit.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:25 AM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
My V8VS brakes used to squeak pretty bad, and I had one or two issues regarding the SS2. I eventually got use to the SS, but didn't realized how much I missed the manual until I got into the V12V.

My V12V brakes also has some squeaks, but very minor and not loud squeals, like racing pads I've heard. It appears that when the brakes are cold, it's actually quiet. It's not until I put some miles and time, that they tend to squeak on very light and very slow braking. Dealer said my brakes were contaminated possible from cleaners and had burned it off (via bedding in process I assume), but it still squeaks eventually.

Funny thing is, when I read the owner's manual, I remembered seeing that owners should expect to hear a "wire brush type noise" due to the high performance capabilities of the brakes, lol.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:21 PM
groutguy has a spectacular aura aboutgroutguy has a spectacular aura aboutgroutguy has a spectacular aura about
Regarding V12V values; currently there are only 5 that I can find available for sale in North America.
There was one carbon black for sale in Ontario that was listed for only two weeks that sold for $189,000.00 CDN.
The ones listed in DuPont registry vary from $154,000.00 to $175,000.00 USD depending on year and options.
Based on what I paid for my V12V the depreciation has been quite minor, and I think that the manual transmission appears to have a much better following.
I'm not one to bet on collectibility, but based on current values, driving experience on the current line of automated manuals from Aston, and the overall (estimated) production numbers; I think that the original V12V's are going to hold their values quite well.
The only real item that matters however, is how does the car make you feel.
When spending irresponsible amounts of money for any vehicle in this price range; value, efficiency, status, fuel economy, dependability, common sense, etc., should have absolutely nothing to do with the purchase.
The only purchasing factor in this price range that should matter, is purely the emotional benefit that you get from the driving experience.
Exotics like AM, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. will all eventually be very expensive to maintain.
For 99% of all vehicles out there, they are all a depreciating proposition for the person that purchased them new.
So if you appreciate a "drivers car", and you love the sense of occasion the car provides; buy it, drive it, and don't ever regret it. You may never get your money back, but if you don't enjoy it, you'll never get the memories back either.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:01 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Keep in mind that the prices you see out there are asking prices, typically posted by car dealers. The selling price will always be less and you won't get as much as a dealer can. As for trade in, the dealers will offer you significantly less than what they will sell retail. In addition, DuPont's prices tend to be on the high side.

When I traded in my 2011 V12V last year, most trade-in offers I received were in the $130-$140K range. Some were less. So, there is depreciation on these cars as with any car.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:30 AM
V12V is infamous around these parts
The interesting thing is the manual V12s have not taken a big hit from the V12VS. Normally a new improved model has an immediate impact on the price of the old one. Not so here. So far used prices are holding in the $145-160 range with the odd exception. That's quite good for an Aston. While you can't worry about collectibility you are certainly better off putting your money in a used V12 than any new Aston.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:49 AM
RandysWay is infamous around these parts
PM on its way . . .
Thank you! Your car sounds perfect and very well taken care of, but unfortunately I'm in the market to buy immediately and not 4-6 weeks.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:07 PM
timwhayden is infamous around these parts
Randysway, it took me 9 months to find the exact Gallardo I was looking for and that was 3 years ago and I never regretted the wait since I now have the exact car I dreamed of. I would definitely wait 4-6 wks for a car if it was the one I wanted at a decent price....