Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What's a Maserati like?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 04:50 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
What's a Maserati like?

In my ongoing quest for a car to rule them all, I have this concern that I really should give Maserati a try. I'm thinking of only the GranTurismo and I'm well aware that it's a big GT, not a Vantage.

But how's the drive? The power? The throw it hard into a turn? The reliability?

I keep looking for the right next car, maybe a DB9, or Virage, maybe a Rapide, might even be just a newer Vantage. For my "extra" car, I'll never want a Porsche or Ferrari or AMG. I really like the gentleman's sports car niche of Aston Martin and feel that it even applies to their biggest offering. It's just that, dollar for dollar in the slightly pre-owned market, I can get a newer or "better" Maserati than Aston.

Thoughts?

(yes, I'll probably do some shopping/driving this weekend)

Old 04-01-2014, 05:15 PM
4leafcloverz is on a distinguished road
Stock GT is a little like a boat. Can't say anything about the Sport / MC though.

Looking at your targets, you could consider getting an early year DBS instead of a virage? If 6MT is your thing you won't be disappointing.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:20 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 4leafcloverz
Looking at your targets, you could consider getting an early year DBS instead of a virage? If 6MT is your thing you won't be disappointing.
I like the looks (inside and out) of the Virage more than the DB9 or DBS so it's what I'd consider if I were looking at that price point instead of a DBS. And if I'm looking below DBS $, I'll look for a really nice DB9.

Definitely want two pedals. I'm sick of shifting. Even if I stick with a Vantage, it'll be SS.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by IbisRider
I like the looks (inside and out) of the Virage more than the DB9 or DBS so it's what I'd consider if I were looking at that price point instead of a DBS. And if I'm looking below DBS $, I'll look for a really nice DB9.

Definitely want two pedals. I'm sick of shifting. Even if I stick with a Vantage, it'll be SS.
... with a SS vantage you still need to row your gears... D mode sucks

Old 04-08-2014, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Bleen
... with a SS vantage you still need to row your gears... D mode sucks
I don't mind the stick, it's the damn third pedal I'm sick of.

Meanwhile, I spent some weekend at the Ferrari/Maserati store. I pried my eyeballs off of the silver FF long enough to inspect and drive a Grand Turismo. And you were right, more boat than sports car. Of course, it doesn't claim to be a sports car. It's a real GT. But DAYUM! that is a large car. And while I was impressed with the bark and bite of the prancing V8, I was less than impressed with the stiff leather and ho hum instrument panel(s). Just no sense of occasion, no sense of "this is the best".

There are several cars that I suspect would provide a comparable experience to the Maser GT. But getting back into my admittedly long in the tooth, '08 Vantage, whoosh, it's all there. Sure the vantage needs more torque, more power, better springs and damps. But hands down, it's leaps beyond the Grand Turismo as a car and driving experience.

Back to the limestone clad showrooms I go...

Old 04-08-2014, 09:10 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
It's an exotic alternative to an SL or Cl MB. It has nothing to do with AM.