Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Center Speaker or Sub? Terrible Stereo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Benjamin09 is on a distinguished road
Center Speaker or Sub? Terrible Stereo

I know this is kind of vague but since it’s in storage I can't get to her.

But anyways, I need help. My 05 DB9 base is HORRIBLE. I don't have a premium system. My car is coming out of storage soon and I am having the Dension gateway installed, along with new door speakers. I figure when they pull up her panels to put in and wire the Dension it’s the opportunity to put in a new speaker/sub if I need to in that center area.

The base in the car has to be turned all the way down, and I'm not looking for an elaborate base/stereo system. I don't want to put in anything crazy or have to put in amps. Any ideas on what can be used to replace that center item or what to look for when shopping?

I was able to find in the forums which speakers to use to replace the door units but nothing about the center piece.

Thank you, I just thought I would ask if anybody has ran into anything like this before.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:04 PM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
There is no fixing this system. You will need new amps, speakers and a sub to have a decent system. The head unit can stay. I have the Linn 950w premium system and it sucked too. I spent 8k to make it nice. Sorry, just part of the hose job that is part and parcel of the 05 DB-9's.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:04 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
It's all just muddy bass unless it is turned waaaay down. The only 'fix' is if you are one of those idiots who drive around with the windows rattling. Like Mr Bond states, you need to replace all the subpar components if you want something decent.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:05 PM
Benjamin09 is on a distinguished road
BAH! Well thank you kind gents. I'm going to put in the Dension piece because I'm going to keep this car for a few more years (I think).

Old 04-07-2014, 06:48 AM
dallasbaker is a jewel in the roughdallasbaker is a jewel in the roughdallasbaker is a jewel in the rough
I have been working on the sub. I have the premium system. The sub's main problem is the size of the enclosure and the material its made from. No where near solid enough. The sub itself is a beast. I have added sound deadening material, which helps somewhat. I am purchasing a shallow mount sub and planning on
adding fiberglass to the enclosure. I will post my results.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:04 PM
mfrankel is on a distinguished road
+1 on all of this. I ended up doing a replacement of the sub and amp (thanks to a fellow member) which upgradd my useless premium sub to something that is useable. Quality is poor, and volume at 30 is still too quiet when driving fast with windows down. Haven't bit the bullet to drop the $ to fix this the right way.

l suggest you listen to AM radio to feel better about the quality of your FM or CD sound quality.