Notices
Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DB9 Headlight question. Please help! :(

Old 04-12-2014, 05:50 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
DB9 Headlight question. Please help! :(

So the "dipped" light on my 05 DB9 went out the other day. That happened one other time and it was a simple bulb change. This time bulb is not the problem and I'm thinking it's the control module (ballast)? Has anyone done this before? I have no idea where the part is located or how to gain access to it. Seems like it's a common ballast that can be had pretty cheap on ebay but I'm concerned if this is out of my skill set to try to tackle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-14-2014, 07:31 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
The ballast is located under the headlight. It is attached to the bottom of it. Just remove the wheel, then remove the fender liner. Should see it front there.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:03 AM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the help! Pulling that inner fender out is not a big deal?

Old 04-15-2014, 08:48 AM
dallasbaker is a jewel in the roughdallasbaker is a jewel in the roughdallasbaker is a jewel in the rough
It is a process, but not entirely complicated. A trick is to take pics with your phone at each step to remember how everything goes back together.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Thanks. I'm gonna give it a try.. Hopefully the ballast is the problem.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:17 PM
So just in case anyone is interested in this process, I just finished it up and I wanted to share some of the details.

Like I said, I suspected when the dipped light went out this time, it was probably the ballast because I already replaced the bulb on the same side recently when it failed.

I found the ballast on ebay for $150 including shipping.. brand new in the box. Way cheaper than what my dealer would have charged I'm sure. It's a very common part that is readily available. The inner fender liner had to be loosened but not removed to gain access to the bottom of the headlight to replace the ballast. I just removed about 12 bolts holding the front half of the liner in place and then it was quite flexible and easy to push to the side and give enough room to get your hands in there to get at the ballast. The job would have been much easier if the cables running from the ballast to the bulb were just an inch longer... but with a little fiddling around it was done.

I was very happy to find out that this did fix the problem.. a pretty satisfying job! Certainly something that could be done by anyone with a small amount of mechanical ability.