Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Car spotting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 07:11 PM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Car spotting

So I can spot a 2009 DB9 (my car) with no problem. But when I see an Aston on the road, unless it has 4 doors, I haven't a clue what I'm looking at.

Is there an easy way/rule of thumb to tell the difference between them all? Headlight running lights, turnsignals, hood vents, hips ....

Old 09-14-2015, 04:47 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Good question. I can only spot the big differences between DB9 and Vantage for example, when I look at the Vantage grill underneath the main grill and see if it's the same width. Vantages also have a plain face but I don't see enough of them on the road to make the instant connection without some study of the grills first. When they come closer the smaller body and rounded bonnet/hood becomes more apparent.

The difference between a Virage and the new shape DB9 is almost impossible to figure out from any angle.

The Vanquish.2 with the black carbon splitter front on is easier to tell from a distance. Side view is easier as the splitter is very distinctive and juts out ahead, as well as the general look of the car is different with the flow of the body lines and that unusual spoiler.

Sometimes color can help. We have a couple of DBS's in our city in black, as that tended to be popular color for them here. The Virage orange of course is another identifier.

All this of course is done at in a hurry since my first reaction on the road is oh, Aston, wow! Even after owning three of them it still gets me excited to see another one on the move.

I guess I'm not saying anything that you don't already know. As someone who looked at Astons on a regular basis I thought I would be able to identify them quicker, but I end up being like everyone else who thinks they're all DB9's at first. Doesn't help that there's only a few seconds quick look, and in that time I'm also checking the window to see if the driver is returning a wave (they often don't!).