Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8V Decat pipes ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 05:22 PM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
V8V Decat pipes ?

I was wondering about peoples experience with Decat pipes. It seems to be a good way to pick up a few HP and save a few pounds while improving the sound and all at a low cost. Considering this it seems to be a no brainer but when searching the forum there are very few posts on the matter. From what I can gather on a 2012 V8V they can be installed without any additional tuning or CEL's, does anyone know if this is true?
Also has anyone had any experience with the various brands out there?
Thanks in advance

Old 09-10-2015, 07:13 PM
FelixLeiter is on a distinguished road
You're better off with high flow cats than you are with no cats. Hego sensors will give poor readings with out a catalyst and cause awful running conditions.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:23 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Had minimum sensor difficulties going from OE cats to 200 cell cats, none that a tap to the "read" waterfall button on my 2007 V8V did not cure. And no "awful running conditions" ever.

Car was just a bit lighter and never ran better, although it became God awful loud (which was cured with a quieter, lighter backbox from Stuart).

To add to the papigko question above, what would be the effect of me taking the next step, going catless? Same minimal negative sensor effect and even better vehicle performance?

Old 09-11-2015, 10:46 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Personally, I wouldn't go fully cat-less. You're going to be super loud (obnoxiously so), and have a noticeably stinkier exhaust. The only benefit of going fully cat-less is cost. Straight pipes are much cheaper than 200-cell cats. You're only picking up a couple extra horsepower but the noise and stink aren't worth it.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:08 PM
Montana107 is on a distinguished road
I got the 100 cell cats from RSC tuning and I am very happy with them - no engine light. Have fun!

Old 09-12-2015, 05:15 PM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for the replies. It seemed from the Velocity AP website that the 2012 didn't have sensors in the secondary cats I guess I need to get the car up on my lift to see if it has sensors on the secondary's if it does I will certainty look into the 100 cell cats I was thinking the car needs much more of an exhaust note even with the vac lines plugged on the bypass valves. I appreciate the input.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:41 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
I think there may be some misinformation in a few of the responses. On the early V8s you cannot decat the cats as both primary's and secondaries are build into the same unit after the headers.

On the 2010+ the primaries moved up into the headers (along with ALL the oxygen sensors). So the secondaries are just scrubber cats which clean any remaining unburnt fuel from an emissions standpoint.

On the 2010 plus you can completely delete them (in fact it is recommended to completely delete them).

The only choice you really have to make is do you want straight pipes or X-pipe. Personally I like the Xpipe option as it helps balance out the pulses and improves scavenging effects compared to straight pipes. X-pipe will make more power too but usually costs a few hundred bucks more. Make sure you get the front X-pipe that replaces the cats and not the rear style X-pipe that replaces the midpipes (stock midpipes are perfect, no need to touch them)

Straight pipes more raw burbly sound American muscle sound, X-pipes more smooth exotic wail type sound. The choice is up to you. Both are 100% safe and zero chance of throwing a CEL on later cars.

Hope that helps

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 09-12-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:43 AM
Montana107 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by papigko
Thanks for the replies. It seemed from the Velocity AP website that the 2012 didn't have sensors in the secondary cats I guess I need to get the car up on my lift to see if it has sensors on the secondary's if it does I will certainty look into the 100 cell cats I was thinking the car needs much more of an exhaust note even with the vac lines plugged on the bypass valves. I appreciate the input.

On my 2012 V8VS is does not have plugs on the secondary cats. I have the fuse removed and it sounds nice with the 100 cells. Sound is personal but I don't believe my exhaust is overly load. It's just right for me.

Trust Stuart on his recommendation! Great guy!

Old 09-13-2015, 06:30 AM
007 Thanks great info. So far I've only seen the rear Xpipe setups who makes a front xpipe?
Thanks for the help

Old 09-13-2015, 05:15 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
This is essentially what you are looking for. fabspeed makes them for the V12, not sure if they make them for the V8 but you could ask the,

Old 09-14-2015, 07:38 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by papigko
You're 100% correct. From 2011MY-on, the catalysts ceased to be a primary/secondary integral unit and the primaries were moved into the manifolds. The only way to truly decat the car is by doing the headers and early MY style decat pipes, while relocating the O2 sensors and programming the ECU to adapt.

However, if you just want to replace the secondaries, we do offer decat pipes for these, in stock and pretty reasonably priced. Since there's no O2 sensors you don't need to worry about emissions or remapping if you don't want to.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com