Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Fender hood seals on vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 01:59 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
Fender hood seals on vantage

So a question for you guys. The rubber seal that is in the engine area on the fenders that seals the hoodlines when closed, is the rubber supposed to slip OVER the hood edge or curl under? Mine appears to be about half and half. The rubber is very pliable and soft but perhaps a track to getting it to do it.

Chris

Old 05-05-2014, 02:06 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
should be under. closing the hood too quickly might push the seal out - air is being pushed out by the hood closing quickly and that air could push the seal enough to stick out when the hood is closed, or the force of the hood closing might pop the seal out. I always rest the hood down, then push it shut (slow but firm press), and I've never had a problem with the seal sticking out.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:07 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
thanks for the tip! I'll try it.

Originally Posted by telum01
should be under. closing the hood too quickly might push the seal out - air is being pushed out by the hood closing quickly and that air could push the seal enough to stick out when the hood is closed, or the force of the hood closing might pop the seal out. I always rest the hood down, then push it shut (slow but firm press), and I've never had a problem with the seal sticking out.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:09 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
How come we don't have a FAQ? This and the oil question have been asked numerous times before. We need to make it easier for new and potential owners to get answers to these kind of questions.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:21 PM
That'd be great!

Originally Posted by karlfranz
How come we don't have a FAQ? This and the oil question have been asked numerous times before. We need to make it easier for new and potential owners to get answers to these kind of questions.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:25 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by karlfranz
I'll make this a sticky until we compile some links. When the links are compiled, I'll make that the FAQ/sticky.

Originally Posted by zvez
That'd be great!
Please report back whether or not my suggestion helped so we can have the info for the FAQ!

Old 05-06-2014, 10:14 AM
So I practiced a bit, I dropped the hood from only about 4" up and seals were perfect. Think I was dropping from too high before.

CHris

Old 05-06-2014, 10:26 AM
You shouldn't even have to drop it at all. Just lower the hood and let it rest in place. Then press down to make it latch. It doesn't take much force and won't damage the hood, and you don't have to worry about any damage elsewhere from the jolt of being dropped. Just my suggestion!

Old 05-06-2014, 10:42 AM
The manual actually says to drop the hood or trunk lid when it starts falling from it's own weight. I see what you're saying, my concern tho is pressing on the hood could distort (it's alum right).

Chris

You shouldn't even have to drop it at all. Just lower the hood and let it rest in place. Then press down to make it latch. It doesn't take much force and won't damage the hood, and you don't have to worry about any damage elsewhere from the jolt of being dropped. Just my suggestion!

Old 05-06-2014, 11:07 AM
slayer of souls is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zvez
The manual actually says to drop the hood or trunk lid when it starts falling from it's own weight. I see what you're saying, my concern tho is pressing on the hood could distort (it's alum right).

Chris
Not to mention the soft paint.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:14 PM
I'm willing to bet the hood and paint are subjected to a lot more force at high speeds than the slight press it takes to close the hood These cars aren't that fragile!

Old 05-06-2014, 12:44 PM
telum I'll give your way a try, you do realize this means I'll always have to carry an appropriate microfiber towel in a sealed (and dust free ) plastic bag to keep from leaving a palm print in this gorgeous nero metallic paint!

Old 05-06-2014, 12:46 PM
Just throwing out suggestions! I used to drop my hood but started pressing it shut. If you don't drop from high enough, it doesn't latch properly so you have to drop it again (from even higher) or press it shut anyway. I figured I'd just press from the get-go. I've never had any issues with it myself, but everyone has their own way of doing things!

Old 05-06-2014, 12:47 PM
no worries from me on that score! I'm always open to suggestions!

Just throwing out suggestions! I used to drop my hood but started pressing it shut. If you don't drop from high enough, it doesn't latch properly so you have to drop it again (from even higher) or press it shut anyway. I figured I'd just press from the get-go. I've never had any issues with it myself, but everyone has their own way of doing things!

Old 05-06-2014, 01:04 PM
slayer of souls is on a distinguished road
I'm willing to bet the hood and paint are subjected to a lot more force at high speeds than the slight press it takes to close the hood These cars aren't that fragile!
I disagree, just noticed an abrasion on the car which must have occurred by someone standing too close. The paint work on this is extremely delicate.

Its an eyesore.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fender hood seals on vantage