Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Bonnet and boot gas struts and silicone spray the seals.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 05:39 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
Bonnet and boot gas struts and silicone spray the seals.

So, many years ago on my first exotic, an 87 Lotus Esprit. I got in the habit of spraying the rubber seal in the gas strut with silicone spray. As I noted these tended to stop holding up the deck lid. On the esprit, the rear deck lid is especially heavy and most owners ended up using their head or a stick to hold it up.

Knock on wood I've never had one fail on any of my cars.

Chris

Old 05-17-2014, 07:39 PM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
interesting

Old 05-18-2014, 05:01 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Yep

a very small amount of silicon grease massaged in to all the rubber seals (especially roadsters roof) helps stop noises as well

Old 05-19-2014, 09:22 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Believe it or not a much better option is Meguires Leather wipes. Silicone spray (although shines well), actually dries out rubber seals much faster over time, it accelerates it's drying in exchange for short term shiny ness. The leather wipes do not and can withstand engine bay heat even. I use it on all rubber seals.

FYI, hood and trunk not staying open is because of faulty gas shocks. You can order a new set. I will be doing a writeup of these as soon as mine arrive from UK.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:42 AM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
I've heard people say for years that silicone lube dries out rubber (although I believe most gaskets and seals used in cars now are silicone based and not real rubber), I've never been able to find a source to confirm that. Disc brake grease is silicone based so it won't affect rubber brake lines. and here's a link to Halford's spray silicone lube.

Stating it's compatible with rubber

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_255223

and permatex:
http://www.permatex.com/products-2/p...bricant-detail.

Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Believe it or not a much better option is Meguires Leather wipes. Silicone spray (although shines well), actually dries out rubber seals much faster over time, it accelerates it's drying in exchange for short term shiny ness. The leather wipes do not and can withstand engine bay heat even. I use it on all rubber seals.

FYI, hood and trunk not staying open is because of faulty gas shocks. You can order a new set. I will be doing a writeup of these as soon as mine arrive from UK.