Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin Should Be Ashamed of this!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:50 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
XW... You really need some Prozac lol.

(Mountain out of molehill)

Old 05-20-2014, 04:07 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the posts and info... i might have jumped the gun. maybe its just been damaged by the PO.
the kind of force described here by you folks sounds reasonable for the design.

might have to source new uprights , if that is an option

thanks

btw: its a 06 vantage coupe

Old 05-20-2014, 04:13 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Parts aren't sold individually. I'm sure you could improvise something to make them fit more secure and less likely to fall off. I found that even wrapping a bit of vinyl along the area where the slat makes contact with the upright makes the pieces a lot tighter. If you make the pieces small enough, they would be invisible once attached.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:16 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Parts aren't sold individually. I'm sure you could improvise something to make them fit more secure and less likely to fall off. I found that even wrapping a bit of vinyl along the area where the slat makes contact with the upright makes the pieces a lot tighter. If you make the pieces small enough, they would be invisible once attached.
good idea... but i already put a dab of auto adheasive on them.... now they are toast unless i scrap off. maybe next time ill try.
thanks

Old 05-20-2014, 04:51 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by XWCGT
Thanks for the posts and info... i might have jumped the gun. maybe its just been damaged by the PO.
the kind of force described here by you folks sounds reasonable for the design.

might have to source new uprights , if that is an option

thanks

btw: its a 06 vantage coupe
Just checked the '08 V, doesn't budge.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:12 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Definitely. I have taken the grills apart before for wrapping and the vertical plastic retainers are supposed to slide off along the grill bars after the entire grill has been removed from the car. If the PO forced the grill bars out without sliding the plastic verticals off correctly, the the plastic retaining lugs on the verticals are likely broken and the metal bars may easily become dislodged. Should be quite cheap to replace the verticals I would think?

FF

Old 05-21-2014, 04:37 AM
blue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really nice

the designer for this should be fired and have a life time ban from designing anything for an automobile. Aston Martin should be SO ashamed of themselves that they offer a replacement grill to all cars with the grill, ever sold!
Sounds good. And make sure the man is high on the list when you and the rest of the torch-bearing village people assemble the mob.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by blue_skies
Sounds good. And make sure the man is high on the list when you and the rest of the torch-bearing village people assemble the mob.

that's funny right there^^^^^

Old 05-21-2014, 01:26 PM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Funny

G'Day

I agree it's funny.

I have a Vantage myself and no problems with the grille.

But on the real funny side is the gas filler cap I guess. These Brits build a lightweight supersports car and use a solid Alloy filler cap which locks like a surplus production piece of an Abrahams tank and weights almost a Kilo, that is British engineering - just . Never mind I love the beautiful cap it's makes a difference to other cars.

Have a good day

Christian

Old 05-21-2014, 01:37 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
You should try holding one of the chrome side strakes when it's not attached to the car. Those darn things must weight about 3 pounds each! The door sill plates are nice and heavy too. It's all part if what makes the car feel much more solid and high quality than almost everything else out there.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:19 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
Side real chrome, metal grill, high quality filler cap, etc.= definable difference. Been in so many ultra high priced cars and have observed the bean counters folly. No offense to accounting folks.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:49 AM
V12V will become famous soon enough
None of my six Vantages since 07 have ever had any grille problems. I hand wash all my cars and have never had a problem with the grille pieces coming loose. Sounds like your car has been damaged. You should investigate more before coming unglued on the web. How sturdy do you think the plastic grilles in a Mercedes and Lexus are? The answer is not very.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by V12V
None of my six Vantages since 07 have ever had any grille problems. I hand wash all my cars and have never had a problem with the grille pieces coming loose. Sounds like your car has been damaged. You should investigate more before coming unglued on the web. How sturdy do you think the plastic grilles in a Mercedes and Lexus are? The answer is not very.
a car with 21,000 miles and perfect exterior shouldn't have the grill fall apart in your hands. I don't think the PO was taking it apart every washing to clean the slats or anything. sure, it might be ok on other cars, but the design is very weak, and this car is a LOT more expensive than a Benz or lexus. being hand built you would think that this signature piece of the car, would have been built a little more care and thought.
I became unglued when I saw that an entire upright just fell off the "grid".
putting it back on, and the other side and slats started to move and fall out of their "secure" spots. AND the fact that those floating parts are not replaceable as the grill is pretty expensive to replace as a whole. after 6 months with the car, sure the poor quality door computers, and a dash that shrinks If it sees the light of day, bugs me a little, but the Grill is a very cheaply designed and made part of the car and it shouldn't be. that's it.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:45 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by GDay2
G'Day

I agree it's funny.

I have a Vantage myself and no problems with the grille.

But on the real funny side is the gas filler cap I guess. These Brits build a lightweight supersports car and use a solid Alloy filler cap which locks like a surplus production piece of an Abrahams tank and weights almost a Kilo, that is British engineering - just . Never mind I love the beautiful cap it's makes a difference to other cars.

Have a good day

Christian
There is nothing light weight about Astons!
Now a Lotus

Old 05-22-2014, 12:50 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by V12V
My 2nd which was new from the factory (MY12 S roadster) had its grill replaced in the first week of ownership as it was rattling around and disintegrating.
So the factory QC missed it and the dealer PDI as well
I've not got the time or patience to list the other faults that have occurred on this car
Back to the orginal OP's question yes Aston should be ashamed of their quality and quality control

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aston Martin Should Be Ashamed of this!