Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

High pitch electrical whine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 10:51 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
High pitch electrical whine?

Noticed on a long roadtrip (cruising ~75mph) that I was getting an occasional high pitch electrical interference type 'whine' sound. [Akin to 'ringing in your ears' or tinnitus type noise... ha and no.. it wasn't just in my head.] This was pretty faint but noticable with the radio on or off. I am guessing some sort of electrical interference? Pitch would change in tone & amplitude pending engine load. Coasting more sound, slight engine load or accelerating, no sound. Not something you'd notice around town. Tough to pinpoint the location in the cabin... potentially electrical interference emanating from the speakers?

You can basically drown it out with music playing, but curious if anyone had 'heard' this? Or better yet, fixed it? Thanks!

Last edited by RolexDaytona1; 06-09-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:35 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Is it worse on cold start right when you start the car? What about when turning the steering wheel while stationary?

Old 06-11-2014, 12:48 PM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Only noticable when cruising straight down the highway under 'quiet' conditions. Car is all warmed up, etc. Its not the power steering pump, nor rear diff whine. Seems like high pitch electrical interference with the stereo. Even with it off.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:45 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Used to get that way back in the olden days -- like 35 years ago -- was usually caused by interference coming from the ignition system. Spark plug leads if I recall correctly.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by yvr
Used to get that way back in the olden days -- like 35 years ago -- was usually caused by interference coming from the ignition system. Spark plug leads if I recall correctly.

Right! "Old" problem due to electrical shielding... Of course this is a British car!

Last edited by RolexDaytona1; 06-11-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Fubar has a spectacular aura aboutFubar has a spectacular aura about
Did you notice the pitch would change with actual "engine load" or just with rpm change? I only ask because there are a few electrical items them react differently to both changes. It sounds like yvr put you on the right path. If it is engine load, I would look at spark controller ground or poorly secured plug lines, maybe check for similar issues with the fuel injector controller and fuel pump controller.

If neither of those tactics pan out, it may be time to look for a louder exhaust system.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Fubar
Did you notice the pitch would change with actual "engine load" or just with rpm change? I only ask because there are a few electrical items them react differently to both changes. It sounds like yvr put you on the right path. If it is engine load, I would look at spark controller ground or poorly secured plug lines, maybe check for similar issues with the fuel injector controller and fuel pump controller.

If neither of those tactics pan out, it may be time to look for a louder exhaust system.
It really is engine load from what I can tell.. Cruise at a steady 75 on flat straight highway... and just lightly pushing the gas from a sustained speed in 6th gear and it goes away. Really no major rpm change in that first few seconds.

I have my mechanic set for doing the oil change in 2wks.. I'll have him look around then at anything potentially electrical.

Louder exhaust would fix the glitch!