Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston...check.. what next

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 09:44 AM
RobSpyder will become famous soon enough
430 tranny is 15k. And they break.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:22 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
A lot of negatives identified in this thread for Ferraris. My suggestion to the OP is, if you are seriously considering a Ferrari, go to Fchat's 360/430 subforum. You are likely going to see views/opinions that are pretty different from what this thread has produced.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:39 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Ferrari exhaust manifold are the worst designed ever. Even to this day they cannot get their exhaust manifolds to last. Always see Ferraris on track have to call it quits bc a manifold broke while on track. Lambo L560s on other hand you can torture test them on track endlessly and they will never break.

Even Jeremy Clarkson wrote in a piece in Top gear magazine about how unreliable most exotic cars are behind the scenes when they are filming the show and went on for an entire page about it. At the very end of the article the final sentence read: "there is only one exception ... The Lamborghini Gallardo". That spoke volumes to me which is why I will continue to own Lambos from here on out. They are simple engineered to such extremes.

After all, think about it... What other platform can handle 1600-2000whp+ with ease other than the Gallardo (and to some extent the Ford GT and GTR).

It's no coincidense you don't see high HP Ferraris, they are simply too fragile.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:56 AM
rscultho is on a distinguished road
Thanks - I appreciate the response...

Originally Posted by RossL
I pay 2k/year for my Scud. Insurance is about 1k more per year than my V8VS was.

As far as DD capable. It depends. The Scud isn't but the 430 is a lot more friendly in that regard. The Scud sits too low and lacks creature comforts. It's also loud, wide, and has big doors that swing out far making it hard to park next to other cars if you are forced to. If I were to DD a Ferrari, I'd get a 599 or F12. They are much more DD friendly. The other thing to consider with DD is mileage. If you don't care at all about depreciation then you are fine but if you do Ferrari is not the right DD for you. Ferrari purchasers are very fickle about mileage and for some stupid reason most Ferrari's are never driven for this very reason.

I'd assume what I wrote above is the same for Lambo but I don't know since I don't own one and haven't seriously looked to understand the landscape.

Personally, I'd buy an Aston for an exotic DD. They are the perfect GT car. The Vantage variants are amazing and comfortable to drive all the time. They are also reliable. I drove my last Aston all the time and sold it with either 12 or 13k miles on it. For reference, we only put 8k miles a year on our Range Rover that we drive year round. The Aston I only drove during in the Spring, Summer, and Fall.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:05 AM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
A black or grey Gallardo would be tempting... Lambos don't have to be puke green or nasty orange.
With the new Huracan coming out, with some luck the Gallardos will depreciate a bit more.
On the same platform and for a bit less money, and lower maintenance, you have the R8.

For my next car I'll probably get something smaller and lighter. Who knows.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:29 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
The misinformation in this thread about Ferraris is impressive. If you want actual facts from owners instead of side liners feel free to PM me or ask in a Ferrari forum...

Originally Posted by RobSpyder
430 tranny is 15k. And they break.
It's nowhere near 15k. Last I checked it was between 5-7k at the dealer. At an indie shop it would be a fair bit cheaper. It isn't cheap but is no more expensive than Aston or Lambo

Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Ferrari exhaust manifold are the worst designed ever. Even to this day they cannot get their exhaust manifolds to last. Always see Ferraris on track have to call it quits bc a manifold broke while on track. Lambo L560s on other hand you can torture test them on track endlessly and they will never break.
The exhaust manifold MK1 is garbage but MK2 fixed it (warranty item) and no Challenge or Scud has this issue since the race cars are a different design entirely. The 430 engine is highly regarded as bulletproof. In racing it's also performed reasonably well

Even Jeremy Clarkson wrote in a piece in Top gear magazine about how unreliable most exotic cars are behind the scenes when they are filming the show and went on for an entire page about it. At the very end of the article the final sentence read: "there is only one exception ... The Lamborghini Gallardo". That spoke volumes to me which is why I will continue to own Lambos from here on out. They are simple engineered to such extremes.
Using Jeremy Clarkson as a reference is laughable. He hated the F430 because James May owned one. Anyone who watches Top Gear regularly would know that. When he actually reviewed the F430 he said "I'm struggling to find anything wrong with it".

Here's Part 1 of his review:

After all, think about it... What other platform can handle 1600-2000whp+ with ease other than the Gallardo (and to some extent the Ford GT and GTR).

It's no coincidense you don't see high HP Ferraris, they are simply too fragile.
Who cares about 1600-2000HP? The stock Lambo can't handle it all and the engines and drivetrains are highly customized. A tuner can do that with any car if they want. The reason you see so many Lambos with ridiculous HP is because of the demographic that buys them and they are also cheap in comparison to a 430. For reference UGR has 1350hp kit for the 430: https://undergroundracing.com/vehicl...rari-f430.html. It even comes with a 2 year warranty where the Lambo doesn't appear to have one....

Last edited by RossL; 06-18-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:41 PM
slayer of souls is on a distinguished road
Thanks RossL

Just to be clear, while tracking may be for a lot of people on the forum, it is not for me. I am more interested in the overall driving experience. I didnt get the aston for power, I could have gotten the Nissan GTR if I wanted performance for much less or an M3.

What the performance facts are is totally irrelevant in my decision making criteria. If I wanted a track car I would use my bike

Old 06-18-2014, 03:29 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by slayer of souls
Thanks RossL

Just to be clear, while tracking may be for a lot of people on the forum, it is not for me. I am more interested in the overall driving experience. I didnt get the aston for power, I could have gotten the Nissan GTR if I wanted performance for much less or an M3.

What the performance facts are is totally irrelevant in my decision making criteria. If I wanted a track car I would use my bike
If you are torn between a Gallardo or 430, I'd recommend driving them both. They are polar opposites in my opinion. The 430 is angry and tail happy (very controllable) which increases the pucker factor. The Gallardo is easier to drive giving you more feeling of confidence. It's also a little more stagnant because of this. I sum it up as if you like the feeling of control, Gallardo, if you like being on the edge with more pucker factor, 430. The both sound amazing and are both gorgeous cars.

Disclaimer: I've only driven the LP-560 pre and post 08 so I can't speak to the RWD 550.

Last edited by RossL; 06-18-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:31 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
I'm in agreement with most if what Ross said, and if you really want to research the 430, Fchat has enormous amount of info.
The only things I would add is yes make sure exhaust manifolds are good or have been replaced. If replaced you should be fine.
I had an 05 Spider and the earlier models are fine as long as headers fixed. The software may be a little slower on F1 tranny shifts. Really barely noticeable.
The 430 is way ahead of the 360 in terms of technology, feel, etc.

The driving sensation in a 430 is very unique in that the car drives very fast at high-speed with out the sensation of feeling fast. Hard to describe, but the car literally feels like it is flying at high-speed.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:03 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
So you're sayings the 430 is a ticket magnet?

Old 06-20-2014, 01:18 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
I'd love to have an F430!!

Old 06-20-2014, 01:25 PM
slayer of souls is on a distinguished road
Next question would be how would the R8 compare. Just thinking back to top gear budget supercars in italy. I would lean towards a V8 (affordability)
Is maintenance that much cheaper?

Old 06-22-2014, 09:53 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by karlfranz
So you're sayings the 430 is a ticket magnet?
I'd say I've been pulled over once or twice.....no tickets though

Old 06-23-2014, 03:10 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by slayer of souls
Thanks RossL

Who cares what the rest of us think? Why not just get what you want? I mean - isn't that the most important thing when we are dealing with cars in the irrational price bracket???

Old 06-23-2014, 03:16 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by spinecho
Who cares what the rest of us think? Why not just get what you want? I mean - isn't that the most important thing when we are dealing with cars in the irrational price bracket???
I salute you I am so totally on your side..... suppose when I get grey (and bald) and have to have my hair combed over my bald patch I will downgrade to italian .....just to get noticed

in the mean time I will just enjoy the swavvvee' that is pure Aston

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.