Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Help for a new, soon-to-be owner - Which one would you get??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 05:15 AM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
I have driven the ASM I, but not the ASM II yet (have to find one close by to test out). I thought it was fine and definitely different from my current car. This will be my first AM so I'm sure there will be a learning curve. I'm hoping I come to enjoy it as much as some of the members here seem to!

Old 07-23-2014, 05:21 AM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by karlfranz
The CPO implies that the car has already had an inspection so it would be redundant to do a PPI.
Karl - thanks for the response. It is likely that if I go through with the purchase, it will be sight unseen as the car is in CA and I am in GA and will not have the chance to get out there anytime soon.

The salesperson that has been helping me has been a bit underwhelming and so I was considering getting an independent PPI to be my "eyes and ears." I just don't feel confident in the salesperson and for some reason feel like I am missing something.

Anyone ever felt like this during the purchase process?

Old 07-23-2014, 07:10 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^ I don't know if the CPO would alert you of cosmetic issues, so it wouldn't hurt to get a second pair of eyes.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:34 AM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by FatFrank
Bleen,
You are too tough on the SS, I loved it. Especially if you have to commute. Manuals will soon be a thing for the annals of history...

FF
Don't open pandora's box...

Old 07-24-2014, 06:39 AM
V12V will become famous soon enough
I would take the 12 over the 9. No question. However I agree you should look for a manual if possible. I own both and I will never buy a SS car again. The SS has no place in a sports car. It doesn't do anything well except wear the clutch.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:09 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Hey, if he likes the SS, he likes it. I'm still on the fence myself.

As far as the inspection. I'm with Karl but even more optimistic. Just because the sales person seems off, don't assume it has anything to do with the car.

I bought mine from a CA dealer (Hornberg Newport Beach), sight unseen and it was fine. As long as the dealer can be specific about history (and this car is really rather new) and they stand behind it (usually a 30 day, no surprises thing), you'll be fine. Seems like, other than negotiating your price, this is the car for you.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Thanks for all of the responses guys - super helpful.

I just finished negotiating a deal for the '12 and am SUPER excited! It really is my dream car and I am lucky I found one with the options and color combo that is exactly what I wanted. If I bought it from new, I don't think I would have changed a single thing (except maybe adding front parking sensors for the wife ).

I really appreciate all of the help from all of the veterans here and am excited to take delivery and finally join the AM club.

I am still on the fence about a PPI. The sale was escalated to the manager at the dealership and, from there, the communication went a lot more smoothly. I feel pretty good about the car, and it still has about 14 months of factory warranty left on it and is being sold by an AM dealer (no CPO afterall). One piece of me thinks the PPI is just a waste of time/money (I want to get it to me ASAP), but the other part of me says a couple of days and $200 is well worth it on an investment of $100K.

Need to make up my mind here soon...lol

Last edited by mindscape9; 07-24-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:05 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
dunno, if it's got the service history and still has balance of original factory warranty. BUT a ppi is a tiny cost and might worn you of any issues. I'd probably go ahead and do it for piece of mind, tho it may be considered overkill. It's your dream car as you say so better not to get any nasty surprise.

Originally Posted by mindscape9

I just finished negotiating a deal for the '12 and am SUPER excited! It really is my dream car and I am lucky I found one with the options and color combo that is exactly what I wanted. If I bought it from new, I don't think I would have changed a single thing (except maybe adding front parking sensors for the wife ).

I really appreciate all of the help from all of the veterans here and am excited to take delivery and finally join the AM club.

I am still on the fence about a PPI. The sale was escalated to the manager at the dealership and, from there, the communication went a lot more smoothly. I feel pretty good about the car, and it still has about 14 months of factory warranty left on it and is being sold by an AM dealer (no CPO afterall). One piece of me thinks the PPI is just a waste of time/money (I want to get it to me ASAP), but the other part of me says a couple of days and $200 is well worth it on an investment of $100K.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:27 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Bleen
Don't open pandora's box...
Sorry Bleen, didn't mean to wake the bear!

Old 07-24-2014, 07:41 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light

A $350 PPI saved me $3000...
Then again, probably not needed if the car still has that much factory warranty left.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:01 AM
Thanks guys. I ended up scheduling a PPI, if for nothing else, to get a second opinion on the car from someone who knows about exotics. I saw a reco for someone in the LA area on this board and went with him. Once it is complete, I'll give an update and a review on how he was and if I felt it was worth it.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:20 AM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Thanks guys. I ended up scheduling a PPI, if for nothing else, to get a second opinion on the car from someone who knows about exotics. I saw a reco for someone in the LA area on this board and went with him. Once it is complete, I'll give an update and a review on how he was and if I felt it was worth it.
I think that's a really good idea for peace of mind given your location. I would think worst case is that they find something that you can have fixed before you take delivery of the car - but you never know, so if nothing else the peace of mind will be nice. Good luck.

FF

Old 07-29-2014, 06:06 AM
I just got back the results of the PPI and I have to say, the guy I used was fantastic. I ended up using Dennis of Auto Docs Inspections in LA and he couldn't have been better. He was very responsive, professional, and thorough. Best of all, I really felt like he had my best interests at heart. He explained the inspection to me on the phone and also sent me detailed images and text. He checked everything and I feel very comfortable. Highly recommend!

One issue that popped up that I have not seen before are some cuts in the leather of the "speed hump" behind the passenger seat (roadster). I've attached a picture. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Old 07-29-2014, 06:22 AM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
it actually looks like shrinkage and now the notches cut into the leather to go around the inside curve are showing. Shrinkage is definitely an issue with the astons. Perhaps the dealer will pay to have this redone/

I just got back the results of the PPI and I have to say, the guy I used was fantastic. I ended up using Dennis of Auto Docs Inspections in LA and he couldn't have been better. He was very responsive, professional, and thorough. Best of all, I really felt like he had my best interests at heart. He explained the inspection to me on the phone and also sent me detailed images and text. He checked everything and I feel very comfortable. Highly recommend!

One issue that popped up that I have not seen before are some cuts in the leather of the "speed hump" behind the passenger seat (roadster). I've attached a picture. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Old 07-29-2014, 06:57 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Chris is correct. That is exactly what they are. When you want leather to go around a radius you make inscisions along the back side to allow it to lay smooth. If the leather shrinks these slits will start to wrap around the curve and onto the front face of the part. Any qualified upholsterer should be able to restretch and reattach the leather.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help for a new, soon-to-be owner - Which one would you get??