Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Help for a new, soon-to-be owner - Which one would you get??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 06:11 AM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
Question Help for a new, soon-to-be owner - Which one would you get??

Hi All,

I have been lurking around this board for some time now, soaking up all of the wonderful knowledge the members have to share. I have finally decided to pull the trigger on my dream car and could not be more excited!

I've narrowed my options down to two vehicles and I would love to get the opinions of members here on which one they think is the better buy. Both cars are out of state for me and will need to be shipped. I will get a PPI on either one (maybe both).

Vehicle #1: 2009 V8V Roadster, SS, Dark Silver/Grey Ext, Black Int., ~5K miles, 2 owners (1st owner 2011-2014, 2nd owner 1 month in 2014). Warranty expired 1/2014. Has complete service records.

Vehicle #2: 2012 V8V Roadster, SS, Dark Silver/Grey Ext, Sand Int., ~5K miles, 2 owners (1st owner 2012-2014, 2nd owner a few months in 2014), warranty until late 2015. Digging up service records.

The 2009 has a bit of a unique situation in that it currently has aftermarket wheels and a wrap on it. Original wheels will be put back on and the wrap will be removed. The only issue is that I cannot inspect the paint until it is removed. The wrap has only been on a month and I have seen pics from before the wrap and they look good for what that is worth. The 2012 is being sold by an Aston dealer for whatever that is worth (potential for an additional year of CPO warranty?).

I am leaning towards the 2009, but I'm having a hard time letting go of the '12 upgrades and warranty.

So what do you guys think? Is the 2012, with all of its included upgrades and 1 year of warranty worth the additional 20K? In 5 years time, which do you think will have the lower delta in purchase to resale? Do you think the 2009 will have significantly higher costs in maintenance over the next 5 years?

As I said earlier, this is my dream car. My funds are not unlimited and I hope to enjoy the ownership experience without taking a complete bath in the process.

Any and all comments welcome!

Last edited by mindscape9; 07-30-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:42 AM
Aston502 will become famous soon enough
Always buy newest you can afford, so I would suggest the 12. I also like the colors on that one and I'm not a wrap fan. Odd they have 2 short term 2nd owners.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:42 AM
darylfcf is a glorious beacon of lightdarylfcf is a glorious beacon of lightdarylfcf is a glorious beacon of lightdarylfcf is a glorious beacon of lightdarylfcf is a glorious beacon of lightdarylfcf is a glorious beacon of light
any pics of them?

Old 07-19-2014, 08:30 AM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
Thanks for the replies! I am not a wrap fan either and have asked that the wrap be removed prior to the sale. The dealership will take it off at their cost.

I would love to go for the 2012. I especially love the light exterior with the dark exterior - it just looks more elegant to me. I am just wondering if it justifies the premium over the 2009 given the other factors. The extra 20K would be nice to have for some upgrades/ slush fund for maintenance.

Should the fact that the 2009 wasn't registered until 2011 to the first owner be of consideration in this decision as a measure of the age of the vehicle or is the model year more important?

Here are the listings of both as well as some pictures:

Vehicle 1:
Without Wrap:
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-...sting=88222861

With Wrap:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...74557219&Log=0

Click image for larger version

Name:	vehicle 1a.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	396890
Without Wrap

Name:	vehicle 1b.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	396891
Interior

Name:	vehicle 1c.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	396892
With the wrap on

Vehicle 2:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...71097774&Log=0

Name:	vehicle 2a.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	396893

Name:	vehicle 2b.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	396894

Last edited by mindscape9; 07-19-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:36 AM
N91K is on a distinguished road
I would say if you can afford the 2012 Vantage then go for it, i love that it is in stock form and a newer model.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:39 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Be sure to check the Option Package on both cars as that can make a huge difference--My '08 V8V had $16K worth of options. Also, a Non-smoking car is very important to me. With that said, the warrantee is worth about $4K, so if the "$100K dealer" can cut you a little slack then the answer will be obvious, go with the 2012. (I'd go with the 2012 anyway!)

Old 07-19-2014, 08:43 AM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
I'd be inclined to go for the 2012. I will say I'm not a sportshift fan in terms of long term ownership, tho others will disagree with me.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:56 AM
thoughtntheory is on a distinguished road
2012 because of that last bit of warranty. You never know what might come up even with complete service records.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys - yeah, the fact that the 12 is not altered and includes the warranty is great, especially from a piece of mind perspective.

The 2012 seems to be a bit more optioned - upgraded alarm, clear taillights, etc.

Given the listed price of the 2012, do you think this is a good buy or do you see any red flags?

I am in the process of trying to get service records and such for the 2012 so have not started the negotiating process yet. Is there a typical range that AM dealers are willing to negotiate on pre-owned vehicles that you know of?

Old 07-19-2014, 03:55 PM
rbobby is on a distinguished road
I think the biggest difference is the 2012 model seems to be ss2 7 speed. I haven't driven the ss2 but it's suppose to be a lot better. Reverse should be less of an issue due to better ratio.

Always curious who buys a car and then a month later decides to sell, it's not enough time to learn even how to drive it properly.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:15 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Neither, find better options

Old 07-19-2014, 05:55 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Neither, find better options
With no reason or rationale behind your statement, I find this pretty completely not helpful.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:00 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Just the fact that it's a '12 means that it's better in several subtle ways (I'm too lazy to go over and look at Grant's book and identify them right now, but trust me). Get it. The dealer is negotiable.

The fact that the '09 lost its wheels and was wrapped just gives me the creeps. ORIGINAL WHEELS PEOPLE! If you must have some aftermarket gee gaw, fine, but keep your OEM wheels and have them to offer upon sale. Many of us won't even look at a car that's missing it's original wheels. (Keys too).

Old 07-19-2014, 06:06 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
yep, I agree, the missing wheels, etc is kind of ared flag.

Not sure why 007 doesn't like the 2012. It certainly looks good, got factory warranty time left, is low miles, and if it's spec'd to what you want. You'll get more depreciation on the 12 than the 09 but it's more car to be sure.

Originally Posted by IbisRider
Just the fact that it's a '12 means that it's better in several subtle ways (I'm too lazy to go over and look at Grant's book and identify them right now, but trust me). Get it. The dealer is negotiable.

The fact that the '09 lost its wheels and was wrapped just gives me the creeps. ORIGINAL WHEELS PEOPLE! If you must have some aftermarket gee gaw, fine, but keep your OEM wheels and have them to offer upon sale. Many of us won't even look at a car that's missing it's original wheels. (Keys too).

Old 07-19-2014, 06:21 PM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
If you are spending $100k, look for 2014 leftovers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help for a new, soon-to-be owner - Which one would you get??