Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Help for a new, soon-to-be owner - Which one would you get??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:42 AM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
Thanks for the responses guys! That makes a lot of sense.

I'll post an update on how this all finishes out after I have spoken with the dealer about the repair.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:50 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mindscape9
Just FYI, that whole area near the top of the picture that looks a little bit like crocodile skin is due to shrinkage. Compare that to the smooth looking leather directly below it.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:55 AM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
Karl - great observation. Is this something that typically can be resolved with re-stretching or do you think the panel will need to be replaced? It seems like when people have posted about dash shrinkage, some have re-glued the piece, while dealers have recommended replacing the piece.

Also, is something like this typically covered under the Aston Factory Warranty?

Old 07-29-2014, 08:28 AM
blackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond repute
Hi All,

I have been lurking around this board for some time now, soaking up all of the wonderful knowledge the members have to share. I have finally decided to pull the trigger on my dream car and could not be more excited!

I've narrowed my options down to two vehicles and I would love to get the opinions of members here on which one they think is the better buy. Both cars are out of state for me and will need to be shipped. I will get a PPI on either one (maybe both).

Vehicle #1: 2009 V8V Roadster, SS, Dark Silver/Grey Ext, Black Int., ~5K miles, 2 owners (1st owner 2011-2014, 2nd owner 1 month in 2014). Warranty expired 1/2014. Has complete service records. ~$80K

Vehicle #2: 2012 V8V Roadster, SS, Dark Silver/Grey Ext, Sand Int., ~5K miles, 2 owners (1st owner 2012-2014, 2nd owner a few months in 2014), warranty until late 2015. Digging up service records. ~$100K

The 2009 has a bit of a unique situation in that it currently has aftermarket wheels and a wrap on it. Original wheels will be put back on and the wrap will be removed. The only issue is that I cannot inspect the paint until it is removed. The wrap has only been on a month and I have seen pics from before the wrap and they look good for what that is worth. The 2012 is being sold by an Aston dealer for whatever that is worth (potential for an additional year of CPO warranty?).

I am leaning towards the 2009, but I'm having a hard time letting go of the '12 upgrades and warranty.

So what do you guys think? Is the 2012, with all of its included upgrades and 1 year of warranty worth the additional 20K? In 5 years time, which do you think will have the lower delta in purchase to resale? Do you think the 2009 will have significantly higher costs in maintenance over the next 5 years?

As I said earlier, this is my dream car. My funds are not unlimited and I hope to enjoy the ownership experience without taking a complete bath in the process.

Any and all comments welcome!

This says it all.....2012 or bust!!!

Old 07-29-2014, 10:34 AM
yankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zvez
Shrinkage is definitely an issue with the astons
I was in the pool!

Old 07-29-2014, 10:44 AM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
ha! but then you know the old saying that a sportscar is an extension of a certain piece of male anatomy!

Originally Posted by yankee04
I was in the pool!

Old 08-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Hey everyone - quick update on everything that has happened since my last post.

I talked with the dealer and the panel issue is definitely leather shrinkage. This is completely covered under warranty repairs. I am going to have this taken care of when I receive the car here as it was going to take 6 weeks to get the part from AM.

Which brings me to my next update - the sale is done! The car was picked up yesterday by the shipper and is on its way to ATL as we speak. Other than that shrinkage issue, the PPI came in perfect and by all accounts this is an extremely clean car. I can hardly wait for it to arrive.

Once it gets here, I will post some pics.

Thanks to everyone for all the help with this purchase!

Old 08-07-2014, 09:01 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by zvez
ha! but then you know the old saying that a sportscar is an extension of a certain piece of male anatomy!
I have a friend who has a Classic Corvette. His personalized license plate is "GPDE", which no one can figure out, but to him it's a reminder: "Gasoline Powered D... Extender".

Old 08-07-2014, 09:13 AM
JuanP is on a distinguished road
LOL does that mean the grade and quality of gas would affect the "extender". Last thing he probably wants is bad gas causing a misfire.

Couldn't resist LOL

Old 08-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Which brings me to my next update - the sale is done! The car was picked up yesterday by the shipper and is on its way to ATL as we speak. Other than that shrinkage issue, the PPI came in perfect and by all accounts this is an extremely clean car. I can hardly wait for it to arrive.

Congratulations! Looking forward to the pics. I'd love to know your experiences with the SS transmission after you've lived with it for a few months too.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:26 AM
N91K is on a distinguished road
Hey everyone - quick update on everything that has happened since my last post.

I talked with the dealer and the panel issue is definitely leather shrinkage. This is completely covered under warranty repairs. I am going to have this taken care of when I receive the car here as it was going to take 6 weeks to get the part from AM.

Congrats, can't wait to see the pics!