Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Winter Project.... Glass Switches, Piano Black Stereo Surround and Gear Surround....

Old 09-23-2014, 10:55 AM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Winter Project.... Glass Switches, Piano Black Stereo Surround and Gear Surround....

Hi all-

I'm looking to make some minor cosmetic changes to my interior. It seems some areas were "overlooked" when I made my order.

I'm looking to replace the switches with glass switches. Also looking to replace the gear surround and stereo surround with piano black.

I will also replace the leather shifter with an Alcantara version.

The glass switches slated for replacement include:

"DSC", "Parking Sensor", "Rear Fog Light" and the "Sports Button".

Apparently, there are glass switches for the Glove Box release and the Seat Recline. I'm looking to replace those too.

I know the glass switches on the console can be replaced when the stereo surround is replaced.

My questions have to do with the ease of removing the gear surround and stereo surround. Also, the glove box switch, and the seat recline.

The interior work of these cars is exemplary. Given that I'm decent with my hands, how easy is it to remove the above interior components for said replacement?

Is this something better left to the dealer?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by terminal_ac; 09-24-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:58 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I think Karl-Franz can answer most of this!

Good stuff, I just started my winter to-do list, too

Out of curiosity, what color is your interior?

Old 09-23-2014, 11:10 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Winter is the time I finally get to drive my car more frequently because it's not ball's hot anymore. I only have to contend with the clueless snowbirds who clog-up our streets.

I'll try to answer some of your questions later.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:10 AM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by telum01
I think Karl-Franz can answer most of this!

Good stuff, I just started my winter to-do list, too

Out of curiosity, what color is your interior?
Phantom Gray with yellow stitching.

In comparison to Karl-Franz's interior, mine is overly conservative.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:12 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Mine's Phantom Grey with silver stitching - so even more subdued than yours! Interesting combination, got any pics?

Old 09-23-2014, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Winter is the time I finally get to drive my car more frequently because it's not ball's hot anymore. I only have to contend with the clueless snowbirds who clog-up our streets.

I'll try to answer some of your questions later.
Thanks. I can remove the pieces, but know the correct sequence will prevent any mishaps. It will probably come down to having the right tools.

I'm familiar with the Florida sun; not nice.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by telum01
Mine's Phantom Grey with silver stitching - so even more subdued than yours! Interesting combination, got any pics?
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...thread-15.html

The Black car on the cobblestones

Old 09-23-2014, 11:19 AM

Interior

Old 09-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Nice! That looks awesome

Old 09-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Very cool, Was the steering wheel from Aston like that or did you recover it?
Ron

Old 09-23-2014, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Ron Avery
Very cool, Was the steering wheel from Aston like that or did you recover it?
Ron
That is a factory option. The car is fully optioned, save for the piano black pieces and the glass switches. There are no "Q" options, though, since there was a fear of delaying the car if it were to move through the Q program.

On my next order, I will allow the car to move through the Q program so as to have it delivered precisely to my particular tastes and specifications.

Last edited by terminal_ac; 11-01-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:08 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Very nice, thanks,
Ron

Old 09-23-2014, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Ron Avery
Very nice, thanks,
Ron
Thanks. No problem on the info.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:39 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by terminal_ac
Hi all-

I'm looking to make some minor cosmetic changes to my interior. It seems some areas were "overlooked" when I made my order.

I'm looking to replace the switches with glass switches. Also looking to replace the gear surround and stereo surround with piano black.
I've got a brand new console/gear surround and stereo surround in piano black (plus a new nav surround) that I can let go for a decent price. I've also got a set of used DB9 door trims in piano black (9+ condition) if somebody is looking for those.

PM if interested.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:27 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Ah, Phantom Grey with colorful stitching, a severely under appreciated combination. Mine's coarse Red on Phantom and I love it.

That is a brilliant interior and some gloss black will be nice. But won't it be a bit odd next to the carbon slope? Seems like it should be one or the other since the carbon is already another shade of grey. Have you considered going Piano Black down the entire center? I'm sure you could keep (for resale) or sell off the carbon slope you have now.

The glass switches will be wonderful in there. I hate that, even as recent as your car, Aston wasn't spec'ing the glass as standard equipment in the Vantage. To finish the job, you really should hit Karl up for a "how to" and get the metal seat controls too.

I have loads of other wonderful suggestions for spending your time and money, just ask.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Winter Project.... Glass Switches, Piano Black Stereo Surround and Gear Surround....