Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

My Transformation, In Progress: Vinyl Wrap, Forged Wheels & More

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 11:50 AM
PhoenixRising is on a distinguished road
What an amazing transformation. With your progress photos you can really see the importance of only letting someone with experience removing/reinstalling Aston Martin parts such as emblems, headlights, grills, etc., perform your wrap. It looks perfect how they remove the emblem before laying the film down. What a showstopper.

I've always been surprised at just how soft the clearcoat is on my Vantage. I've never had a car that I could easily scratch by dragging a fingernail across it. I imagine the film reduces streaks in the drying process too.

Congratulations with your hard work. It definitely paid off!

Old 01-16-2015, 08:11 AM
Ellipsis is on a distinguished road
Thanks! I'll be purchasing the tires in the next week or so.

PhoenixRising-- it's true, not every shop takes apart the car. For high end cars this shop actually uses a tech from a Lamborghini dealer. The peace of mind I had knowing this was priceless.

I actually have a question for anyone who might know. For my new wheels I don't particularly care about having TPMS sensors on them, however I would hate lights on the dash! Is there a work around for this?

Thanks!
-Peter

Old 01-16-2015, 08:45 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ellipsis
I actually have a question for anyone who might know. For my new wheels I don't particularly care about having TPMS sensors on them, however I would hate lights on the dash! Is there a work around for this?
Yes, it involves splicing some wires together. Copy/paste from other threads:

1) Disconnect the TPMS at the connector block under the dash (white connector).

2) Identify the 4 wires on the car-side of the harness: these should be red, white, black and blue/red.
Blue/red is 12V switched power
Black is ground
Red is the TPMS system fault line
White is the tyre low pressure fault line

3) At the car-side connector half, short the black, red and white pins together, using whatever technique you are comfortable with. This will tell the dash warning system that everything is OK with the TPMS and that none of the tyres are underpressure.

I just did the above steps but I have an error code. From what I've seen while researching this, after doing the above:
-If you already had a TPMS fault code (not uncommon), you'll still have it.
-Some people get a TPMS fault code after splicing (seems to be leftover if pre-existing), some people done (seems to be the people that didn't have a pre-existing fault code don't get a new one after splicing).
-Supposedly, having the dealership clear the TPMS fault code, which is apparently the only way to do it, will eliminate the fault code for good.

Last edited by telum01; 01-16-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:49 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
I just unplugged the factory SmartTire box in the passenger footwell, and the code went away.... (It may still be in there somewhere, but it doesn't light up as a low tire every time you start the car).

Old 01-16-2015, 11:02 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RolexDaytona1
I just unplugged the factory SmartTire box in the passenger footwell, and the code went away.... (It may still be in there somewhere, but it doesn't light up as a low tire every time you start the car).
I tried that and it didn't work for me. I've heard it works for some but not others

Old 01-19-2015, 01:28 PM
Thanks Telum! I was somehow under the impression that was for later cars. I'll give it a try and update everyone. Thanks!

Old 05-23-2015, 05:46 AM
Quick update, I got my Brixtons mounted! I wanted to wait to get better photos, but while visiting the in-laws I snapped a couple of pics. I just want to say that I'm completely blown away by these wheels. I did not expect for them to change the driving characteristics as much as they did. The car feels much lighter all around, without effecting the great steering feel the Vantages have. Having owned several other high end wheels before, nothing comes close to this.

If you're serious about performance, Monoblocks are the only way to go.

Tires are Michelin Super Sports of course.

Some photos, more to come soon!

I should also mention that when the light hits these things when rolling:

Old 05-23-2015, 05:49 AM
Old 05-23-2015, 09:21 AM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
They look fantastic on your car! The whole package is superb, nicely done!

Old 05-23-2015, 03:25 PM
anton28 will become famous soon enough
Very Nice!!!!!

Old 05-24-2015, 09:27 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I also just got Michelin Super Sports - yesterday

I have 20" Modulare wheels, and the front tires were Faulkens - every bump in the road was felt with loud bangs. Driving the new Vantages enticed me because of the smoother rides and lack of noise. Yesterday I installed new Super Sports and wow - no noise, no banging, no rough ride and I'd have to admit, possibly a smoother ride than the new Vantages with their 19" wheels!

I no longer seek to upgrade to a newer model. An amazing transformation. I knew they would make a difference but an unbelievable massive improvement!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	NewTires2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	420820  
Old 05-29-2015, 07:13 AM
Thanks everyone!

Couldn't agree more Prefurbia! The combination of forged wheels with Michelin Super Sports is a huge win. The SS's are even a light tire compared to other brands. Overall weight savings is substantial enough for me to feel the difference right away.

Will be posting more professional photos soon!

Old 06-18-2015, 07:51 AM
Ok so I still haven't had my professional photoshoot, but I did manage to take out the ol' SLR out and attempt some shots. The Anodized Bronze II color on my Brixton R10's is a bit difficult to capture. In person, when the light hits it-- goes from dark to amazing bronze.

Check it out:

Now i just need some LOW.

While I'm here, anyone know any good independent shops on Long Island?

Old 06-18-2015, 08:02 AM
Looks so good!

Old 06-18-2015, 08:33 AM
CoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really nice
Originally Posted by Ellipsis
My thoughts exactly! Nice IT Crowd reference

Could stand to be a little lower (not necessary) but otherwise looks gorgeous!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Transformation, In Progress: Vinyl Wrap, Forged Wheels & More