Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DB9 engine problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 12:03 PM
AMChris is on a distinguished road
DB9 engine problems

I just bought my 2005 db9 and it has some miles on it. 68k. Everything seemed fine with the car but I started getting a oil pressure indicator flashing so checked the oil and it seemed a bit low so I added some. Car worked just fine again until I tried to accelerate hard then it flashed on me again so I just back off the throttle and it goes away.

Anyone know what would cause this to happen under moderate to heavy acceleration?

Old 03-26-2015, 01:49 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
By the time the indicator lights up you've probably got nearly zero oil pressure. Maybe a faulty sensor, but I'd be getting it to the dealer ASAP if it was mine, and probably on a flatbed.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:56 AM
Originally Posted by yvr
By the time the indicator lights up you've probably got nearly zero oil pressure. Maybe a faulty sensor, but I'd be getting it to the dealer ASAP if it was mine, and probably on a flatbed.
The car is at the dealer now. They are replacing a sensor that reports oil pressure as they think it is not reading correctly. Once that's done they will assess further. Hopefully that's all that is needed. I would love to have the car back sooner than later.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:04 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
That could be a good outcome. Keep us posted.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:06 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Pray to the Aston gods that your car wasn't run low on oil for too long! Do you know if your car has had the dipstick update done?

Old 05-05-2015, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by dan87951
Pray to the Aston gods that your car wasn't run low on oil for too long! Do you know if your car has had the dipstick update done?
Unfortunately I don't know the history of the car. I didn't think it was that important to know ahead of time when I bought it. I can confirm is has the new dipstick. Other than my wifes Flex I have never bought a car that costed me more than $20k before.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:25 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by AMChris
Unfortunately I don't know the history of the car. I didn't think it was that important to know ahead of time when I bought it. I can confirm is has the new dipstick. Other than my wifes Flex I have never bought a car that costed me more than $20k before.
Ouch! Yea, exotic cars aren't exactly something you shop strictly by price. Usually, the cheap ones end up costing much more in the long run than the well maintained ones that's why records/service history are very important. I hope it works out for you otherwise this could be a very expensive mistake! Keep us posted.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by dan87951
Ouch! Yea, exotic cars aren't exactly something you shop strictly by price. Usually, the cheap ones end up costing much more in the long run than the well maintained ones that's why records/service history are very important. I hope it works out for you otherwise this could be a very expensive mistake! Keep us posted.
I was extremely lucky I bought the car in Arizona. State law requires the dealer to provide 500mile 15 day warranty. I had the issue less than 100 miles and on day 1. So dealer I bought the car from is paying for the repairs. But that being said it will only be good for this repair, who knows what could happen later.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:40 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
That's great the dealer is covering the warranty! Hopefully this is the only problem.

How much did you get the car for?

Old 05-05-2015, 09:19 PM
I paid 38k for it.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:37 PM
Now would be a good time to have the dealer look over the car. They can probably tell you what will need to be done with that car in the future. With those miles I would make sure the transmission fluid, brake fluid, coolant, and power steering fluid have been changed.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:38 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
An alternate engine for your DB9

If they can't fix your engine, a much cheaper option would be an aluminum Chevy or Ford Motor with a 6-71 Blower fitted - we did a cheap (less than $10K) 600HP, 600lb trq at the crank dyno'd on our Porsche. Sledge hammer power (torque comes on instantly), insane look. Doing so would likely banish you from this forum. I'll get death threats for just suggesting this.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Estee_Porsche.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	419822  
Old 05-07-2015, 06:38 AM
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
If they can't fix your engine, a much cheaper option would be an aluminum Chevy or Ford Motor with a 6-71 Blower fitted - we did a cheap (less than $10K) 600HP, 600lb trq at the crank dyno'd on our Porsche. Sledge hammer power (torque comes on instantly), insane look. Doing so would likely banish you from this forum. I'll get death threats for just suggesting this.
oh no doubt. I already decided if the engine goes an lsx will go in. An ls7 with 500 n/a hp would be nice.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:55 AM
Good news everyone. None of you will have this problem. So after removing the intake plenum to get to the oil pressure sensor, they found whoever worked on the car previously had spliced wiring for the sensor together really bad. So they replaced the wiring and the sensor since there was no reason not to change the $20 sensor since it was all ready taken apart. But most likely the wiring was shorting causing the sensor to go on and off with vibrations and heat. So car runs awesome now after dealer paid the $1054 for the repair. Lesson to everyone, dont be like me and buy a car that doesn't have service records. Lol. I have ADHD so I'm used to taking risks.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:09 AM
yvr
Whew! Great outcome.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DB9 engine problems